Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Motor problem...

Posted By: Bassbruiser12

Trolling Motor problem... - 06/23/19 03:01 PM

I was out fishing one day and decided to cut across the cove, bumped the tm up to cruise across and all the sudden no power to the trolling motor. I didn't hit anything, it was like you cut the power. I took it apart and went to investigating my issue. I found that the wires at the power receptical had become uncovered and touched and had burned and melted. I bought a new receptical and cut back the wiring. I did have power according to my multi meter. Trolling motor still doesnt work, i basically have power running all the way to the circuit board of the trolling motor. At this point I have no clue, maybe the circuit board is fried? Has anyone had this issue before or any experience with something of this nature. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 06/23/19 03:46 PM

If it got hot enough to melt the old receptacle, it could have melted solder in the control board also. What TM and voltage are you running
Posted By: Royce Sanders jr

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 06/23/19 05:15 PM

Do you have circuit breakers at the batterys inline with your trolling motor wires?
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 06/23/19 10:56 PM

Did you use the multimeter to check voltage and current? My 80 Minn Kota draws less than 10 amps on high so I can identify a bad controller card by checking the current output. Let me know if you need help doing this. Voltage will show present even when there is little to no current.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 06/23/19 11:56 PM

If trolling motor is ok, get rid of the plug and wire direct to batteries. Add 60amp breaker near the battery. You'll never have an issue.

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/23/19 09:57 PM

Well it fried the circuit board and its an older model where they don't make the parts anymore, older Motorguide great white. So it looks like ill be on the hunt for a new trolling motor...
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/23/19 10:31 PM

Lots of Great Whites sitting around. Did you call Boras Marine to see if they had the parts?

Azle Ave in Fort Worth
817-624-3932

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/24/19 03:30 AM

No I sure didn’t!
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/24/19 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
If trolling motor is ok, get rid of the plug and wire direct to batteries. Add 60amp breaker near the battery. You'll never have an issue.

Ditto, defiantly 60 amp breaker near or at the batteries. I did that awhile back and never had a problem yet. wink

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/24/19 05:02 PM

I will definitely be adding that breaker in there for sure.
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/26/19 11:51 PM

My Motor Guide Xi5 that I once had would flip the breaker when I put in on high. Upgraded to a better breaker and issue was resolved

Bart
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Trolling Motor problem... - 07/27/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbruiser12
Well it fried the circuit board and its an older model where they don't make the parts anymore, older Motorguide great white. So it looks like ill be on the hunt for a new trolling motor...

Bbruiser12,
What size GW is it? I have a GW 80lb that I just took off my boat. It works fine, just replaced it with an Xi5 with the GPS anchor function. I'm not ready to part it out, but would be willing to help you try and trouble shoot it over the phone or something. I love the Xi5.. the anchor function is worth its weight in gold fishing in the wind of Texas.
BD
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum