Texas Fishing Forum

After market reel bearings

Posted By: LFA17

After market reel bearings - 06/21/19 09:29 PM

Worth it or not for no weight or low weight level wind casting?
Posted By: 206champion

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/21/19 09:43 PM

I replaced some in some old Shimano chronarch mg 50 s once and I had to get used to them , they will cast farther but will back lash easier also, after I got used to them I like them, but I wouldn't change them out unless you need to , I used the ceramic bearings.
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/21/19 09:59 PM

I would only replace them if there is a problem with the bearings or in a setup where casting distance is paramount. I use mostly Lew's reels and they do cast further but I would rather spend the money on other things. The stock bearings do a pretty good job.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/23/19 08:40 PM

That depends on you and the reel you are using. I changed out the bearings in some of my older Shimano reels and it made a HUGE difference. I got the bearings online from Hedgehog Studio Inc. They have a chart that helps you pick out the bearing type for your specific reel.
Posted By: furim2

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/24/19 03:23 PM

I put the Boca orange bearings in my Cores. I couldn't tell the difference. Plus they were around $40 or so per reel.
Posted By: greenen

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/24/19 03:25 PM

I changed some in some older greenie Curados and they helped but on newer reels I strip grease with lighter fluid and put a drop of Hot Sauce on them when I clean them instead of replacing any others.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/24/19 03:30 PM

Not worth it unless you need new bearings.

I went through the whole Super-Tuning phase and the benefits do not match the amount of work or money input.
Posted By: JBranham

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/24/19 05:36 PM

For those of you looking to replace bearings for your reels, check out this company. I know it's related to RC car bearings but they have many different size steel and ceramic bearings that I've used to replace in my reels and for a lot less $$$ then Boca bearings. Back when I was involved in RC car racing is when I was involved with AVID bearings so I know the owner and know AVID offers a solid product.

[Linked Image]
https://www.avidrc.com/[size:23pt][/size]
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/25/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
That depends on you and the reel you are using. I changed out the bearings in some of my older Shimano reels and it made a HUGE difference. I got the bearings online from Hedgehog Studio Inc. They have a chart that helps you pick out the bearing type for your specific reel.

+1

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/25/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Not worth it unless you need new bearings.

I went through the whole Super-Tuning phase and the benefits do not match the amount of work or money input.

Changing bearings does not involve much work and the Hedgehog AIR bearings are certainly worth $25 for the difference they make at least they did over the ABEC 5 bearings that I swapped them out with. You don't have to get the ceramic ones to get smooth bearings although they also offer them as well.

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/25/19 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by furim2
I put the Boca orange bearings in my Cores. I couldn't tell the difference. Plus they were around $40 or so per reel.

I did the same on one of my reels with the same results you had. The Hedgehog AIR bearings are the way to go if you want longer casts.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/26/19 12:44 PM

I've thought about it but have yet to bite the bullet. Spool-High speed bearings has kits for around $15-20 bucks and they've been tempting me for a while now.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: After market reel bearings - 06/26/19 03:28 PM

Brass bushings with 3n1 oil!! Just sayn
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum