Texas Fishing Forum

Is Lake Travis worth it?

Posted By: Jake F.

Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/18/19 03:56 PM

Thinking about driving down to Austin and spending a few days at Lake Travis. Is the lake worth fishing, or would it be better to go find another lake to spend my time at?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/18/19 08:06 PM

It's a cool lake. Go early if during the week. Can catch 30-50 in a morning if you find them schooled up. Arigs, Shakey heads, weighted flukes on main lake bluff points. Gets pretty busy with wake boats and huge cruisers later in the day and weekends. Same with LBJ. Bigger avg fish on docks but gets busy also.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/18/19 08:28 PM

Fun lake, but go during the week. Have always caught at least 20-30 there.
Posted By: David D.

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/19/19 05:13 AM

If you’re looking for numbers Travis is great, but LBJ is close and has a lot more size but a little tougher to fish
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/25/19 06:15 AM

Obviously I'm very biased as I guide there haha But Travis is a fun lake... I will be the first to admit, its not known for big bass... just not that kind of fishery. It does have some solid fish in it, and you can catch good numbers if you get on the right pattern or find schoolers.

Its a very scenic lake and will get you out of your comfort zone if you're used to the lakes in the Dallas area. Travis is very clear, extremely deep, and mostly just rock with a little flooded brush.

Hit up the reports section of my website if you'd like some pointers. If you end up coming down feel free to message me though my site if you have any questions about the lake (I always forget to login on here and check my DM's) Always happy to help a fellow angler out! www.fish512.com
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/26/19 06:11 PM

Travis can be fun but it seems like a weird place to go for no other reason. If I lived in DFW and was looking to head to a lake for a few days outside the metro I'd probably go to PK, Pines, or Rayburn.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/26/19 07:07 PM

I'm a lifelong Dallas-ite, but moved to Austin 3 years ago. My house overlooks Lake Travis and I can tell you it is an absolutely beautiful, stunning lake. That said, it fishes much like Jarrett and the others said. Tons of 1/2 pound to 2 pound bass. Lots of guadalupe bass, which if you've caught are pretty cool. But man...wave boat, jet skis, and HUGE cabin cruiser and cigar boats will beat your a$$! Weekends is an a$$ whooping for sure. LBJ to me has a much better overall population (catch-able that is) of 3 - 4 pounders. You'll have the same issues with the big wakes from boats, but at least you have I think a better chance of catching something over 3 pounds at LBJ. All in all though Travis is a very cool lake. At least if they're not biting you can head into Devils cove on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and catch some Double "D"'s...if ya know what I mean!
Posted By: franchi

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/29/19 04:20 PM

Any smallies
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is Lake Travis worth it? - 06/30/19 04:10 AM

the lower end of Travis is a beating in the afternoons on Travis, but once you get up around Pace Bend it isn't bad.

LBJ is a true beating, pleasure boaters-wise. Its like being in a washing machine with a set of 2 foot rollers coming every 30 seconds. In between your boat is rocking in every axis. I'd almost rather fish Austin on the weekends
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum