Texas Fishing Forum

Fluorocarbon

Posted By: Bigbass93

Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:30 AM

What brand do y’all recommend ? I’ve had nothing but problems with P Line.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:34 AM

i typically use seaguar abras-x and recently bought the Tatsu to try it out. Seems pretty smooth and low memory in my opinion, but i still use line conditioner pretty religiously.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:37 AM

Seaguar and sun line will dominate this
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:37 AM

Thankfully all my reels hold braid. Not sure how you guys do it. For what it's worth (probly not much) I use Vicious for my leaders.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:46 AM

I despise Fluro!!! However it is a must have at times in some spots I fish. When I must use Fluro its Seaguar. At times I pray for rain just to muddy the water a little so I can leave the Fluro in the rod box.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:54 AM

I use Sunline Super Fluoro. It's very affordable and is great. I would hate to fish without fluoro. Its proven itself to me time after time.
Posted By: Colton D

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:56 AM

Seagaur red label, invisx for 17lb
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:15 AM

Gamma Edge or Trilene 100%
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:27 AM

sun line sniper
Posted By: mox22

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:37 AM

I use trilene 100%
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:41 AM

With the exception of my two crankbait rods all of mine have braid. The crankbait rods have seagaur and I keep a spool in the boat for leader material when I go to Amistad.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:42 AM

Curious; which Pline are you having trouble with; the fluorocarbon or the CX, CXX, or fluoroclear, or other?

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:45 AM

The cx premium
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 02:33 AM

On a baitcaster? What lb test?
How are you using the line? Crankbaits? Jigs? Everything?
As the main line or just for leader material?
What sort of trouble are you having with it?

I’m guessing you are using it as mainline on a baitcaster

Going from CX (a little finicky) to fluorocarbon (high maintenance) might not be what you’re looking for
With all the stained water from the rains this spring, can’t think of many lakes I’d tie on fluorocarbon

For all purpose mainline, can’t go wrong with Maxima Ultragreen or Pline CXX in 12lb test. Both incredibly strong and less stretchy than standard mono. Going higher than 12lb test with these lines as main line=memory issues

If you really want to use fluoro; Seaguar Red Label is a good value
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 02:45 AM

I use Red Label 15# and 20#, but then I also really like P line 100% Flouro in 17# and 8#. I have used 15# Invizx, but I think the Red Label is a little tougher and a lot cheaper.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 03:04 AM

50lb max cuatro to 7to8foot flouro leader on 90% of my rigs. 20lb maxcuatro on the remaining. (Jerkbait/crankbait/spinning.) 50lb is 10lb mono equivalent diameter and 20lb is 4lb equiv. Wondering why straight fluoro is still used. Dont mean to highjack the thread but just in terms of casting distance alone braid is the obvious choice. Not to mention longevity, sensitivity, lack of memory(literally zero), tiny diameter, and the mass amount you can fit on a spool. Downsides are not super abrasion resistant, zero stretch, and prone to failure due to shock. Now days though with the FG knot or Alberto most of those can be minimized. The upsides are just too vast to not have braid spooled. I tried and simply could not deal with the memory of fluoro on the spool. It's like using wire. I can easily now cast an extra 30 feet and feel a minnow breath all while maintaining the zero visibility of fluoro. Different strokes for different bloaks and all....I get it. Still see many if not most pros with straight fluoro spooled especially for cranks but I'm never going back.

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 03:05 AM

If you had to pick between Seaguar abrazx or sun line sniper which would you go with?
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 03:17 AM

Ive tried them all I am not on a budget I like to buy stuff for my hobbys. I use tatsu exclusively for floro. I feel its worth it because I re spool less than abraz x or invis x and it honestly has so much less memory if you think 12 is the best in brand xxx you can use 15 or 20 in tatsu... I use 20 lb on some rods and 15 on most everything. I use 10 for leader for drop shot etc. Seems to work well.

I buy mine in 1000 yard spools and check ebay and amazon but I try and buy it when tws has a sale but even then ebay some times is cheaper.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 12:30 PM

XPS for the best value.....
Posted By: saibling

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:26 PM

Yo-Zuri top knot 100% Fluorocarbon. inexpensive, abrasive resistant.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 01:49 PM

Sunline
Posted By: chrisansilver

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 02:09 PM

Tatsu....
Ordered 2 1,000 yds 15# test at 159.00 each, you can catch it on sale at times.
Best line period, great know strength...
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 03:05 PM

Bass Pro brand or InvisX is all I use and I'll just buy whichever is cheapest at the time. I usually just stock up when BPS has their sales. Never had any of the issues I had coming form Red Label
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 03:12 PM

I have found no flouro stronger the seagaur red .It has a bit more memory .but its stronger than invisx .It takes a real man to break it in 20# when you hang up. LOL
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Butch @Hubbard creek
I have found no flouro stronger the seagaur red .It has a bit more memory .but its stronger than invisx .It takes a real man to break it in 20# when you hang up. LOL

Only issues I had on the red label was breaking off on hooksets. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what but I never gave it another chance. I will throw it on moving baits if I have to. No issues there
Posted By: RYAN R

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 05:19 PM

I prefer Seaguar simply for the level wind
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RYAN R
I prefer Seaguar simply for the level wind

They quit level winding early last year, must have been a while since you bought a 1000 yard spool....
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 07:44 PM

I use Seagular Invisx or Red Label either one, never had an issue with either.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I use Seagular Invisx or Red Label either one, never had an issue with either.

This. I will also use 25 abrasx at Falcon when flipping.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 08:31 PM

I do not use Flouro with all the problems with it, tying knots, kinks, burns, etc.. I use a much more forgiving line that has been made for decades. McCoys Mean Green. About 1/2 the price of flouro (cheap flouro) and been GREAT for me since 2000. The ONLY thing I do not use it for is C-rig main line. I use it for leader material, though. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 11:02 PM

I had a lot of trouble with Flouro until I learned that the majority of my problems were ones that I created. You really have to pay attention to the knot when you tie it. I use an improved clinch knot except on drop shot, which I use a palomar. Invisix is my line of choice as it has been the best I have used, but I only use 12lb as leader on my braid rigs. I use mono on moving bait rigs, Lo Viz Green Stren, 12lb.

BD
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/17/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh1Brown
What brand do y’all recommend ? I’ve had nothing but problems with P Line.

Which P-Line? I really like Halo. It does have some curl to it but it is strong, but I only use it in 10,12 and 15# test. I use Invizx most of the time.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/18/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bissett
Originally Posted by Butch @Hubbard creek

Only issues I had on the red label was breaking off on hooksets. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what but I never gave it another chance. I will throw it on moving baits if I have to. No issues there

Same here

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 12:09 AM

I went ahead and picked up some sun line sniper. Think I’m gonna get some Seaguar Tatsu as well
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 12:48 AM

I am a long time Seaguar user... I started with Carbon Pro, then to Invizix, then onto Red Label...I am now on Tatsu and love it. Luckily I have a buddy that gets me good discounts from where he works on the Tatsu. But back in the day I really liked the Carbon Pro. But when I am on a budget or when I need good line, Red Label works just fine. When I have money, it's Tatsu.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 02:25 AM

Seagar for me!
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 03:02 AM

I fish jigs and T-rig plastics with 15lb Red Label and Flip with 20lb. I have rarely broken the 15 on hooksets and never the 20. Most trouble I've had with the 20 is occasionally having to cut the line on snags when I couldn't break it. I use the palomar knot with everything, wetting it and pulling it down carefully, tightening it alternately one strand at a time.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I use Sunline Super Fluoro. It's very affordable and is great. I would hate to fish without fluoro. Its proven itself to me time after time.

Agree. My issues with good Fluoro were my mistakes.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 03:20 AM

Sunline is the best. Hands down...
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 04:06 AM

I’ve tried quite a few and without a doubt Tatsu is the best, but obviously you pay for the difference in quality too.
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 10:52 AM

Me along with 4 other buddies have been using Vicious Pro Elite going on 10 years. While other lines have less memory VPE is some of the strongest flouro I have run across. I change line fairly often since I fish cypress tree lakes 99% of the time and you can’t beat 800 yards for 80 bucks.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Fluorocarbon - 06/19/19 11:14 AM

I bought a spool of Sunline Sniper and it was the worst spool of fluorocarbon I’ve ever used. So bad that I reached out to Sunline’s cusromer service because I thought I had a bad spool. The never replied. I wound up tossing it and sticking with Invisix. Red Label is a good value, Tatsu has less memory than any flourocarbon I’ve ever owned, but it costs the same as a nice rod. I only buy Tatsu during the Tackle Warehouse Christmas sale and use it for tournaments.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum