Texas Fishing Forum

Sun Glasses

Posted By: LFA17

Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 02:20 AM

Getting frustrated with lenses too easily scratched. Have tried Costa and Strike King. Looking for good tough lenses that won't scratch or scuff from cleaning. Costa Fantail's are good, but scratch way too easily. Strike King coatings wipe off. Don't mind paying for quality, What's your experience and/or recommendation.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 02:28 AM

With the Costa's, did you have glass or plastic lenses? I believe the glass scratches easier than the plastic lenses.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 02:35 AM

Oakley Prism
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 02:40 AM

I am really tough on glasses, but my Costas are a year old and scratch free. I have plastic lenses and they have been great.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
With the Costa's, did you have glass or plastic lenses? I believe the glass scratches easier than the plastic lenses.

Other way around.. plastic lens scratch a lot easier. Glass won't scratch, Only problem with glass is if you drop them pretty hard, they'll shatter. Had a pair for 3 years with 580 green glass and never a scratch
Posted By: 4D Ranch

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 04:59 AM

I wear my sunglasses dang near 365 days a year. Most of those days are spent on a commercial construction site, some in the cattle pastures, and not nearly enough on the water!! But my wife and sons have been buying me a new pair of polarized Oakley’s on Father’s Day for about five years now and they are the best sunglasses made imo. Yes they usually have a scratch or two on them when I retire them and the nose and earpiece are usually worn out but the comfort, protection, and amazing ability to see in the water make them worth every penny.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 06:11 AM

I have Maui Jim Kipahulu. They fit my face great and have not scratched in the year or so that I have had them.

The Costa green is probably better for seeing through the water, but they just didnt fit my square German head very good. The lady handed me a pair of Kipahula's and the fit sold me in a second flat
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429

Other way around.. plastic lens scratch a lot easier. Glass won't scratch, Only problem with glass is if you drop them pretty hard, they'll shatter. Had a pair for 3 years with 580 green glass and never a scratch

Correctamundo thumb
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 12:48 PM

I’ve worn Oakley’s for the last 25 years. I’m careful with my glasses and still found they scratched easily and just seemed to not hold up like they should for the price. I’ve tried rayBan, Maui Jim, and a few others over the years, but kept going back to Oakley. I bought a pair of Costas with the 580G lenses a few months ago and so far am very happy with them. Compared to Oakley I would say they have better clarity, fit and durability. The downside is the glass lense is heavier, but not so much that I find it uncomfortable.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 01:09 PM

I had been using some packaged wipes for glasses cleaning but was getting scratches. Switched to 100% cotton cloth and a mix of about 30% rubbing alcohol, 30% vinegar and the rest tap water. Solved my scratching problem. Might help.?
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/15/19 02:33 PM

You have it backwards, the POLY scratches easier than the GLASS
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 02:31 AM

Go with either Maui Jims or Costa's but only glass lenses. Period!
Posted By: Patta-whack

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 03:12 AM

I am OCD about my sunglasses and have been wearing Oakley since the original blades came out. I always use the microfiber cloths and a quality lens cleaner never have issues with scratches. I still have every one I have ever bought, including the blades circa 1988. I have the Costa 580G too because I wanted to try them and they seem to have better clarity, but not quite as comfy on my fat head as the Oakley.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 03:28 AM

Costa 580G....Made the switch a few years back, won't wear anything else
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 04:56 AM

I have been on the Costa bandwagon since about 2006, I have the poly on a couple pair and the three that I swtich between now are all 580G and you couldn't give me a pair of Oakleys and $250 bucks to ever switch back. Never tried or looked at Maui Jim so can't comment on those.
Posted By: Agape

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 12:56 PM

Where's the best place to look at and purchase the Costas in the DFW area?
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 03:53 PM

I have costa 580g in glass and plastic, neither are scratched, visibility seems the same with both.

They are cheapest on ebay. Ive bought other colors and brands I think these are the best.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 04:34 PM

Revo... I’ve been wearing them for 10 years. Their upgrade program allows you exchange your sunglasses for 60% off a new pair.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Agape

I tried mine on at Academy, then ordered online from govx.com
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 06:27 PM

Smith Action Optics. The best polarized glass lens on the market IMO.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 06:30 PM

When you have great eyesight, most of the top brands look good and its hard to determine which lenses are the best, when your eyesight starts to drop, you can tell very easily which have the best optics. Costa glass 580 for me. As far as scratching and tint coming off, they all will show wear if not taken care of. Rinse off with water before cleaning as dried salt from ocean spray will definitely hurt the tint if you don't rinse first. Cigarette ashes can accumulate on your lens as well if you smoke. Any of plastic or glass lenses will nick when dropped if they hit upon something at the wrong angle.

PS The heavier glass lenses sink much faster than plastic.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 08:38 PM

Classic Fiberglass
Fun N Sun
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 08:50 PM

Jomashop has the absolute best deals on major brand sunglasses! Check them out online.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/16/19 09:54 PM

Go look locally to find out what you like best and the ones that fit the best, check the price then look for them online for less. That's what I did. Got the Costa 580 green glass.

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/17/19 12:02 AM

A full-sized Sunglass Hut will have the best selection of high-end sunglasses. They will also have the highest prices.

Bass Pro has a decent selection of low, mid and a few high-end sunglasses. The perk of Bass Pro is that they are mostly geared toward hunters, fisherman, and hikers (this is not true of Sunglass Hut)

As ezbassin suggested, go to where you can see the widest selection and then look online. I did this in store at Sunglass Hut and they matched the Amazon price. I'm happy to give my money to a "brick and mortar" under these terms.

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/17/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
Jomashop has the absolute best deals on major brand sunglasses! Check them out online.

They also have very good prices on high-end watches. The only catch is that they will not come with the manufactures warranty (instead, you get the Jomashop warranty, which is time tested and well reviewed). This is kind of a big deal with an expensive watch... but not that big of a deal with sunglasses.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/17/19 02:45 PM

We have a pretty good selection of the fishing style glasses.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/17/19 05:58 PM

+3 or 4 on costa glass. I abuse glasses badly and cant' scratch those things. Go with plastic only if you plan to wear them exclusively at church.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Sun Glasses - 06/17/19 06:28 PM

I've got some blue lens Costa 580g I'll sell to you for half price. They don't have a scratch on them but that glass lens is just too heavy for my sensitive schnozzzzzzz. crying
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum