Texas Fishing Forum

Lews vs Diawa reels

Posted By: Billyfred

Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 09:53 PM

Which one do you like better for a reel under $200 ?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 09:58 PM

Used both. Lew’s all day for me.
Posted By: bassinbiker

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 09:59 PM

lol...I am the opposite, love the Diawas Tatulas
Posted By: Bigbass93

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 10:14 PM

Lews
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 10:15 PM

Daiwa Tatula's for me
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 10:34 PM

Lew's
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 11:00 PM

Daiwa i have 14 of them lews are ak
also smooth
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/11/19 11:10 PM

I have lews and daiwa steez only.. I get 8-1 ratio daiwa steez sv tws from japan direct and also use the 6.3 same reel.

The lews feels rickety after using a daiwa, the slop in the handle annoys me. The cast control doesnt work near as well, if you set it really free for a long easy cast you have to be really careful not to get excited and add a little extra snap or energy to the cast your youll get a nasty back lash. I can set the daiwa crazy free and have no issues. I mostly use the lews for heavy lifting flipping punching frog etc, stuff I want that high ratio for and the longer handle.

I buy the lews on ebay and change all the big round knobs out for flat ones.

The lews I use are the hyper mag in 8.3 ratio, I think thats the highest end ones they make only surpassed now by the purple one which is the same as mine but purple.

I tried shimano chronarch in the latest model and some aldebaran in a bunch of models and like the daiwa and lews much better. I may still be using a aldebaran or two that slipped by when I was selling them all but they are on rods I barely ever pick up.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 12:03 AM

Daiwa Tatula's.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 12:17 AM

I like both. The Daiwa Tatula CT is hard to beat for the price. Check ebay. I really like them for moving baits.
If you have trouble with backlashes then the Tatula SV TW is the reel for you.
If you want a heavy duty smooth reel then I go with the Lews Super Duty and the Super Duty wide spool.

The Lews BB1 Pro and the Custom speed spool (white one) are very smooth as well.

The Shimano Curado K is a very smooth reel also for under $200. Just thought I would throw that in even though you did not ask about Shimano.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I have lews and daiwa steez only.. I get 8-1 ratio daiwa steez sv tws from japan direct and also use the 6.3 same reel.

The lews feels rickety after using a daiwa, the slop in the handle annoys me. The cast control doesnt work near as well, if you set it really free for a long easy cast you have to be really careful not to get excited and add a little extra snap or energy to the cast your youll get a nasty back lash. I can set the daiwa crazy free and have no issues. I mostly use the lews for heavy lifting flipping punching frog etc, stuff I want that high ratio for and the longer handle.

I buy the lews on ebay and change all the big round knobs out for flat ones.

The lews I use are the hyper mag in 8.3 ratio, I think thats the highest end ones they make only surpassed now by the purple one which is the same as mine but purple.

I tried shimano chronarch in the latest model and some aldebaran in a bunch of models and like the daiwa and lews much better. I may still be using a aldebaran or two that slipped by when I was selling them all but they are on rods I barely ever pick up.

LOL we need to do a swap on reel handles. I change out the flat handles to the round ones.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:32 AM

I have a bag full of round ones I havent posted for sale yet... just the knobs is what Ive done on the last 5-6 reels.
Posted By: Mallison22

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:36 AM

Like'm both. I have a bunch of Tatula's, and have zero issues. Will buy more.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:40 AM

Another Daiwa vote. Especially the Tatula SV TW. Now in the larger capacity reels I preferred the Lews over the Tatula HD.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:41 AM

lews and shimano is the real deal here lol lews you can use everyday for a whole year and be just as smooth as day one.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:44 AM

Have a Lew's Orange Crush for the wife and it's no comparison to my Tatula SV TW's.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:48 AM

I have the Lews custom pros and have no complaints at all.
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 03:35 AM

Lews
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:34 AM

The answer to your question may lie within, go to the classified section and you will find probably 10 or more Lews to every Daiwa for sale. I don't have any sales data but I feel fairly certain that Lews doesn't outsell Daiwa 10-1. Then ask yourself, if the Lews are so durable and great then why are people constantly selling them? I've owned both, Shimano as well. Once I was done culling the herd I found myself left with 16 Steez, Zillion and Tatula SVTW's. The rest are now someone else's babies/problems. Just my 2cents
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:47 AM

Been through several varieties over the years. You will find more Daiwas on my rods than anything else now. I still have a few Lews and like them for heavy baits like big cranks and swimbaits.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 11:29 AM

After years of Lews , I tried a Tatula last year and now they lan on replacing all my Lews
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 12:26 PM

If you like compact reels go lews. Even the newer slimmed up tatulas are a bit bigger than others. If you want one to last go daiwa.
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 01:01 PM

Every combo I own is Lews + Kistler. Not saying it's logical, just what I personally have confidence in.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 02:42 PM

Lews
Posted By: Colton D

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 03:55 PM

All I use are Tatulas. I love my new Tatula 100
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rxkid2001
If you like compact reels go lews. Even the newer slimmed up tatulas are a bit bigger than others. If you want one to last go daiwa.

Look at the new Tatula 100 and see if that is still accurate.
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:21 PM

Daiwa tatula reels are hard to beat..
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:45 PM

[img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...5193bcb3_8bdd_4e7a_93cd_12bbaaf25253.png[/img
Having a hard time deciding between the two....Not!! Daiwa tatula gets my vote
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 04:49 PM

Diawa
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 06:43 PM

Daiwa. I switched about a year ago, and love them. My clients constantly comment on how easy and far they can cast with them.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Have a Lew's Orange Crush for the wife and it's no comparison to my Tatula SV TW's.

Just to edit my comment I actually like my Concept A's and C's more then the Tatula's.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 11:35 PM

Every Lew’s I every owned (with the exception of older BB1’s) I’ve sold. I still have every Daiwa I’ve ever bought for the last 45 years.
Posted By: daddyflea

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/12/19 11:56 PM

I threw my last Lews overboard after it backlashed the 3rd time in a row. bought a Curado DC and have not looked back. Fantastic Reel
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/13/19 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by daddyflea
I threw my last Lews overboard after it backlashed the 3rd time in a row. bought a Curado DC and have not looked back. Fantastic Reel

User error lol
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/13/19 04:02 PM

The issue with the new Daiwa is you can't seem to get them anymore without the "T Wing" on them. So...... If you're fishing a Texas rig, jig, Carolina rig, etc and you rest your finger on your line, the line spools all over on one side. I have a few of the last generation Steez reels and they are great.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/13/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

User error lol

popcorn
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/13/19 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

The issue with the new Daiwa is you can't seem to get them anymore without the "T Wing" on them. So...... If you're fishing a Texas rig, jig, Carolina rig, etc and you rest your finger on your line, the line spools all over on one side. I have a few of the last generation Steez reels and they are great.

I've had to change the way I rest my finger on the line. I always held the line up with my index finger, but now I push the line down towards the rod blank. It took a trip or two to get used to it but it's second nature now.
Posted By: daddyflea

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/13/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

User error lol

popcorn

Regardless of what it was. I got all I could stand.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by rxkid2001

Look at the new Tatula 100 and see if that is still accurate.

Still feels bigger than most lews for me. Still not buying more lews though.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 10:01 AM

My lews tournament pros sit in a storage tub after I started moving toward daiwa reels.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

That's Apples to Oranges bud. The OP asked about reels under $200

I am also a big fan of the Daiwa Steez but they aren't applicable here. I've not used the Tatula but hear good things about it. I did buy a couple new Curado K's and am pretty impressed by them for $189.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 12:18 PM

Let's do some horse-trading Jackson. I have one Steez 8:1 that I would trade you for a T-wing version and even buy your lunch at Matt's to boot.

I'll text you some pics.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 01:40 PM

Lews for sure. Never seen a Daiwa reel i like. All feel like cheap junk with more to go wrong with that level wind flip thing.

For me..

1- 13 fishing
2- Lews
3- Shimano
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Lews vs Diawa reels - 06/14/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

I've had to change the way I rest my finger on the line. I always held the line up with my index finger, but now I push the line down towards the rod blank. It took a trip or two to get used to it but it's second nature now.

I've tried that Monty but that old habit is hard to break! That, and I'm a slow learner but you're right..... It's just a small change that needs to happen.

Ken A..... Deal!

As an aside.... I bought a Shimano Antares and wow..... It out casts my Steez reels. Is it heavier? Yup. Bulkier? Check. But paired up with one of those new Dobyns Xtasy rods and it's like getting a new sharp scalpel.... Well, it's good. Really fun to use.

Back to the $200 deal - I also bought two new Curados for under $200 and they are a great value. They cast really well and you can adjust the heck out of them once you grasp the Shimano break set-up.

J
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum