Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyns or TFO....

Posted By: Bassbruiser12

Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 02:34 PM

Looking at switching to just one, so Dobyns or TFO? What are your opinions on either...
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 02:37 PM

Dobyns
Posted By: jas3423

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 02:43 PM

I have both and in my opinion Dobyns is the way to go. In fishing with both the build quality and sensitivity of the Dobyns rod is far superior to the TFO.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 02:52 PM

I own both and like both...but for me the answer is CLEARLY DOBYNS.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 03:27 PM

Dobyns
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 03:40 PM

Another vote for Dobyns. All I use.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 03:43 PM

Anything other than TFO!
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 03:56 PM

Dobyns. Awesome rods with a price point for everyone. The owner is kind of a tool though. bolt

Only kidding, I consider him a close friend, but that's not why I am saying go with Dobyns. Was using the rods long before we became friends.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 04:30 PM

Dobyns
Posted By: Bass Wolfe

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 05:12 PM

Dobyns. All I own. Heading to Fork now for a few days. Probably going to pick up another one while there. 21 is just not enough.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 05:28 PM

I did the same thig several years ago and bought Dobyns and NO regrets. Hope this helps. Tigt lines, keep safe and good luck.

OH, what series of rods are you lookin for, too?

Thad Rains

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 06:02 PM

Looking at the Sierras and Champion, I have both a couple Dobyns and a couple TFO, just want to go with one for my full lineup.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 07:15 PM

Another Dobyns Vote here. Hands down no question.

PS. you owe it to yourself to get at least 1 Champion Extreme HP either the 745 as a jig / texas rig or the 744 as a Texas rig rod. Some things just make life easier.
Well that's my opinion anyway.

Jody
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 08:02 PM

Just curious. Why go all in on one brand unless it's a sponsor deal? If so, Dobyns. Personally, I'm not married to any of them. Some rod manufacturers suit me better than others depending on application. Same for reels.
Posted By: Gary Dobyns

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 08:53 PM

Thanks guys. Comments are much appreciated!!! We are now housed in Sulphur Springs TX. We have many dealers and several around Lake Fork that'll help with any questions or you can call us for rod recommendations anytime at (903) 919-8028. We have 7 different rod series in price points from $80 to $550. We have too many models smile These are all BASS rods plus one crappie jig model. I'm a bass fishermen so that's what we build. We have all lengths and actions and without counting I believe between 180 to 200 models with a few new one's I'm adding. I must count these one day smile

Anyway, thanks again for the comments!!!!! Please yell if we can answer questions!! THX!!!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 09:59 PM

I have a bunch of Dobyns rods and like all of them. I have three 784 rods that make excellent C-rig rods. I have heard others say they use that rod for spoons and jigs.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/10/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Dobyns
Thanks guys. Comments are much appreciated!!! We are now housed in Sulphur Springs TX. We have many dealers and several around Lake Fork that'll help with any questions or you can call us for rod recommendations anytime at (903) 919-8028. We have 7 different rod series in price points from $80 to $550. We have too many models smile These are all BASS rods plus one crappie jig model. I'm a bass fishermen so that's what we build. We have all lengths and actions and without counting I believe between 180 to 200 models with a few new one's I'm adding. I must count these one day smile

Anyway, thanks again for the comments!!!!! Please yell if we can answer questions!! THX!!!

I've been exploring getting a few simply because I had heard you moved out here with the rest of us rednecks..
. Look forward to it
Posted By: Dr. Hook

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 12:19 AM

I would choose Dobyns and just did. I bought another Dobyns this past Saturday at the Skeeter Owners Tournament. I bought the Champion XP 734 for Spinnerbaits.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 12:31 AM

This last weekend Dobyns had a booth set up at the Skeeter Owners with some outstanding prices on some outstanding rods.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 01:29 AM

Love Dobyns but hate the inserts constantly fall out.
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 02:44 AM

Dobyns hands down.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 02:17 PM

Love my dobyns. Wish they could make them here.
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 03:12 PM

Dobyns 100%. Best rods I have ever used hands down!
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 06/11/19 03:42 PM

Dobyns makes a fine rod. Have quite a few myself. Haven't picked up a TFO rod that felt good to me.

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/23/19 09:58 PM

Im looking at getting several dobyns the more ive looked into it. And yes, i picked up a 745 the other day and felt like i picked up a magic wand. I was in love!
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/23/19 11:40 PM

So, are we comparing 280 dollar rods to 99 dollar rods? Seems the Dobyns all of y'all mention are a lot more money
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/24/19 12:34 AM

The Fury series is an outstanding rod for the price. It all depends on what you like and how much your budget can handle. I have several Fury rods, three Sierra rods, and a bunch of Extremes.

Gary offers a ton of rods to choose from between $100 to $500. What you choose is up to you.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/24/19 01:46 PM

Never fished with TFO but every dobyns rod I ever owned I had issues with the eyes and inserts falling out (This has been several years ago so it could have changed) Ended up giving them to a buddy and going with a rod manufacturer that used insertless recoil guides and have not looked back. I do have a lot of buddies that have exclusively dobyns and really like them though!
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/24/19 03:21 PM

I own 15 plus Dobyns rods and I have also had issues with eyes and inserts. Exactly twice. Both times I reached out to Dobyns and they took care of the problem. I don't expect their rods to be perfect but for me their customer service darn sure was!
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/24/19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
Never fished with TFO but every dobyns rod I ever owned I had issues with the eyes and inserts falling out (This has been several years ago so it could have changed) Ended up giving them to a buddy and going with a rod manufacturer that used insertless recoil guides and have not looked back. I do have a lot of buddies that have exclusively dobyns and really like them though!

So I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth...Mr. Dobyns... have these eye/insert issues been squared away? I'm also thinking of going to your brand. I've been a Loomis owner for years now. The first $100+ rod I ever bought was back when Barlows first started carrying them probably in the late 80's. I don't mind paying for quality...as long as that's what you're getting. $200+ for a rod that has the inserts pop out would not make me a happy camper!
Posted By: skins84

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/25/19 11:30 PM

I haven't had any inserts pop out on the Dobyns rods i've bought in the last 3-4 years and I use them regularly.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/26/19 01:34 AM

Go on skeeters page and buy 4 TFO's for 280.....at that price point they're hard to beat....I have 12 TFO tactical series and didn't pay retail for a one.....they are very solid with good warranty right in Dallas Texas
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/26/19 11:52 AM

Dobyns hands down!!! Ernie at Lake Fork Resort on 17 has about the largest selection you will find in a retail location.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/26/19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbruiser12
Im looking at getting several dobyns the more ive looked into it. And yes, i picked up a 745 the other day and felt like i picked up a magic wand. I was in love!
Shouldn't have picked one up. Cocaine is a cheaper habit.....and easier to stop.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Dobyns or TFO.... - 07/26/19 11:48 PM

As of the last 3 years I'd say Dobyns. I have fished many brands and right now I only have one Dobyns. But I have been trying to buy a few used as my fishing budget right now is all pointed at buying a Ghost when they come out in October.

So if any of you are interested in parting with a few old ones let me know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum