Texas Fishing Forum

Kids Rod / Reel

Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Kids Rod / Reel - 06/08/19 04:23 PM

I am looking for suggestions on a decent spincast setup for my daughters. They are 7 and 9, love to fish, but are outgrowing the smaller pink Zebco combos. The lower end reels on the Zebco combos have worked, but breakdown pretty quick.
We need something that is durable for sandbass and pond hoping, but they arent ready yet for full size open face bait casters.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/08/19 04:45 PM

Zebco 33 is hard to beat for what you need. fish
Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/08/19 05:00 PM

That's what I was leaning towards. Thank BD
Posted By: camo-jorts

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/08/19 05:08 PM

We have our younger kiddos the American Hero Combos made by Lew's. Academy has been running their rod and reel combo's for 25% off here lately. Very good combos for the money!
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/08/19 07:24 PM

Get them started on a spinning combo...
Posted By: JoshT254

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 05:59 AM

Its a little pricey but zebco now has a higher end spin cast. It runs about what a decent baitcast does.
Posted By: JoshT254

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 06:01 AM

I just looked it up. Its called the zebco bullet.
Posted By: jvc58dke

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 12:00 PM

Try the Ugly Stick GX2 open face spinning combo. You can get them at Costco (if they still have them) or academy. They come in 5' or 6' sizes which my kids find are pretty good to handle. My 6 year old son can moved from a zebco to those and now has laid to claim to my 6'10" Loomis IMX with Pflueger President spinner for his Texas rig worm fishing after deciding that "fishing off the dock for little fish is boring;" his words not mine!

Ugly Stick Combo
Posted By: jvc58dke

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 12:06 PM

Quick pic from yesterday morning when he boated his first 5lber all on his own.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 05:49 PM

Great memory. Glad you were with him when it happened.
You now have a fishing buddy for life.
Posted By: TX Rig

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/09/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jvc58dke
Try the Ugly Stick GX2 open face spinning combo. You can get them at Costco (if they still have them) or academy. They come in 5' or 6' sizes which my kids find are pretty good to handle. My 6 year old son can moved from a zebco to those and now has laid to claim to my 6'10" Loomis IMX with Pflueger President spinner for his Texas rig worm fishing after deciding that "fishing off the dock for little fish is boring;" his words not mine!

Ugly Stick Combo

Yes the UGLY STIK® GX2™ SPINNING COMBO. They good for the money. I have bought them at Walmart as low as $29.99. Great combo for the money. I saw them at BPS for $39.99 last month.
Posted By: RoosterBill

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/14/19 03:08 PM

Zebco 33 with a Diawa Laguna rod from Acdemy. Great little combo for the kids. Lagunas are cheap pretty light and have a forgiving tip when the kids decide they have to hammer down and reel/pull as hard as they can.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/14/19 03:56 PM

I got my son started with a Zepco 33 Micro on a 5' medium rod. The Micro has a lower profile and is easier for small hands to reach the button (and balances pretty good on a shorter rod).

It doesn't hold a lot of line which is good and bad. It's bad because if 30' of line breaks off... you only get one more before you are in bad shape. However, it's good because these reels twist the line and it needs to be changed often... the small spool size is easy/cheap to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebco-33MCKC...;qid=1560527844&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Posted By: bladerunner

Re: Kids Rod / Reel - 06/14/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoshT254
I just looked it up. Its called the zebco bullet.

this thing is around $99 but worth it. Its a little big/heavy but works amazingly well. Good retrieve ratio which most of the cheaper ones don't have. My son is beginning to use baitcasters now, but the zebco will last a long time and be a great loaner when I take others fishing. takes a lot of the frustration caused by cheaper reels out of the equation, which meant more fishing for me!

Dicks usually has one on display.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum