Texas Fishing Forum

Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake

Posted By: MadFluker

Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/07/19 04:54 PM

I went out to fish lake Tyler this past Saturday, and the lake was full of pleasure boats & jet skis.

So beside the obvious lakes like Fork and Palestine, what other east Texas lakes have minimal or no pleasure boat traffic or at least have sections that are safe for fishing?

Thanks
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/07/19 05:00 PM

North half of Hawkins, most of Pines, most of Holbrook, Martin Creek, and Welsh, just a few off the top of the head. But I still tend to go to Palestine because it offers more variety of fishing than the ones mentioned with very minimal pleasure boat interference.

It want to get away from the pleasure boaters then you have to go to the stumps. Clear running lakes like Tyler are meant for night fishing or pleasure boaters.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/07/19 08:59 PM

Caddo does not have much of anything, fishermen or pleasure boaters. Got some good fish in it though. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/11/19 02:24 AM

Others:
Lone Star
Monticello
Bob Sandlin (not bad)
Many of the smaller lakes are fine. But, even if you have the traffic there are usually good areas to get away from them.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/11/19 02:58 AM

Rayburn
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/11/19 12:31 PM

I live where there are a couple of "pleasure lakes" that are deep and clear.
day fishing tournaments don't result in very good results, so I wonder why there aren't more night tournaments being held, and I understand the dangers, but people do tend to be on a higher scale of awareness at night.
There are a couple of night tournaments on a couple of lakes in my area, and usually only during the hottest days of the summer.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Pleasure lake vs. Fishing lake - 06/11/19 03:48 PM

Cypress Springs is in a class by itself when it comes to East Texas pleasure boat lakes. I think when you buy a house there they give you a wakeboard boat and make you promise to create at least 48 inch wakes everywhere you go.

We went to Jacksonville Saturday evening. The first pleasure boat that went past us after we stopped to fish sent a wake over my bow and soaked the carpet to the console. I won't say what I said at the time but it wasn't "wow, isn't that wonderful?" We were in 18 feet of water. I tried to imagine what that wake would have looked like in 3 feet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum