Texas Fishing Forum

Power Pole or Talon???

Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 02:11 AM

Considering buying a pair of either Talons or Power Poles, but can't decide on which to go with. Just wondering if one is better than the other. For context my boat is a 2000 Trition Tr-21.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 02:12 AM

I prefer Chevy.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 02:35 AM

I prefer blades. But, both work and Talons are currently less expensive. Talons also offer deeper options than PP. all that said, PowerPoles customer service sets the standard for just about any industry. It is absolutely first class. Johnson Controls, parent company of MinnKota, isn’t bad, but it isn’t on the same level of CS as PP.

Also, my Blades are quieter than all of the Talons that I’ve used over the years. Again. Both are great options.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 03:00 AM

Either do a great job. The talons are heavier, especially if you get the 12s or 15s. I have 15s but I also put a baileys foil on my boat and got the holeshot back that i lost from the weight
Posted By: DJB

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 11:38 AM

I went with PP.Im sure the talons are great and they do have deeper sizes. However if you need to lower them to get in and of your garage or go under a low bridge the PP will lower with a remote. The Talons have to be manually folded.You have to buy that bracket. And PP is the best costumer service I've ever dealt with. JMO.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 12:18 PM

This topic has been beaten to death. Do a search and you'll find more than you want to read!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 01:07 PM

I believe both are great products, the PP's look much better to me and they are the only anchors I have had.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 02:44 PM

I have a single talon on my boat and I'm scared to deploy it in shallow water because of all of the noise. I mostly use mine when beaching or anchoring.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 03:29 PM

I have a power pole on the starboard side and a Talon on the port .... looks cool!
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 05:20 PM

Power Pole for the win!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 05:38 PM

Spot lock, bruh......
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 05:41 PM

I want the power poles, but I have a space constraint and don’t know if I can fit the pumps. From what I’ve seen talons just plug into the batteries, and don’t have any of the pumps that power poles do.

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 06:16 PM

The pumps are small. Half the size of a battery. They can be mounted in a lot of places. They’re light too.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I have a single talon on my boat and I'm scared to deploy it in shallow water because of all of the noise. I mostly use mine when beaching or anchoring.

Crazy, Ive caught fish AFTER I banked into lay downs and retrieved my lure, then flipped 3 feet from my boat on the way out..

I also catch fish all the time using my talons as a brake and dropping them and letting them drag and make a racket in rocks before my boat stops.

Its a non issue for the most part. Lakes are noisy places.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/06/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Spot lock, bruh......

Who doesnt already have spot lock... Talons are still great to have, especially the 15 foot flavor!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/07/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
This topic has been beaten to death. Do a search and you'll find more than you want to read!

Or you can take 10 seconds to simply answer the mans question.. What's the point of having a forum when all the replies are "just do a search"?

OP, Power Pole.. Best customer service in the game, and I personally trust the hydraulic system over the electric system.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/07/19 07:42 PM

I've had both, though I had one 12ft talon on one boat and now have 10ft blades on current boat. I think the person this matters most to is the guy fishing in the back. I can lower my blades a bit to get them out of the way the talon was there no matter what. Both do a good job.
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/07/19 08:18 PM

I had the same question and plan to go with Power Poles because you can deploy them halfway and use them like fenders when you're fishing really close to the bank or docks. Because the poles angle out and back as they deploy they can help protect the back of your boat from rocks or boat docks if you drift a little.

I've heard a handful of pros talk about using them this way. Chris Zaldain puts his boat very close to the bank to fish swimbaits uphill and in the below video FLW Pro Jeremy Lawyer describes how he used his power poles while fishing docks to win Grand Lake this past March. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark to see him demonstrate this.

Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/08/19 01:13 AM

If you want to anchor deeper then talons. The only problem I had with talons is the extra weight and drag on the boat. I only have a 115hp engine so it took a while to get on plane. If I had a larger engine where that wouldn't have been an issue then I would have probably kept it. I really liked it while I used it. I don't plan on using either on my boat now but if I was to buy again I would go with PP for my particular situation. Possible leaks scared me on the PP but I believe they changed hoses and fixed that issue.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/08/19 01:45 AM

Power pole
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 02:47 PM

Power Pole... soooo much easier to use and if you forget that you are anchored and take off. You can and it will not damage the poles. I know, because I've done it. Nothing will go on my boat but Power Poles!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 03:48 PM

Talons are so much easier to use and install. A couple of bolts and a wire to the battery. No leaking hydraulic lines to repair and clean up. No calls to the greatest customer service in the world needed. No need to mount extra stuff in the bilge. And they hold 100% better in water over 10' deep.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Talons are so much easier to use and install. A couple of bolts and a wire to the battery. No leaking hydraulic lines to repair and clean up. No calls to the greatest customer service in the world needed. No need to mount extra stuff in the bilge. And they hold 100% better in water over 10' deep.

I see what you did there..
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Spot lock, bruh......

Sold my PP's, haven't used them in 2 years and they sometimes get in the way when on spot-lock. They look cool, but no reason for me to have them.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 09:31 PM

Everyone seems to prefer what they own. That being said Power Poles seem to win this discussion every two weeks. laugh
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/09/19 11:48 PM

That's funny right there. Every time I see one of these threads and hear about how great the customer service is for issues I chuckle because I'd rather own something that didn't need customer service after the sale.

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Milam

That's funny right there. Every time I see one of these threads and hear about how great the customer service is for issues I chuckle because I'd rather own something that didn't need customer service after the sale.

I as well laugh when people think a electrical system will last longer than a mechanical hydraulic system.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 04:49 AM

Are the Power Poles not electric over hydraulic? Something has to turn that pump.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 03:26 PM

Talons are heavy and have killed the hole shot on quite a few boats I've fished out of. If that matters to you, consider Power Poles. If you're already at 21 ft, with a 250, you might want the lighter option.

JB
Posted By: scottsoutdoorworld

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by billdancejr.
Are the Power Poles not electric over hydraulic? Something has to turn that pump.

you know he is going to go get a bigger keyboard and come after you roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by scottsoutdoorworld

you know he is going to go get a bigger keyboard and come after you roflmao roflmao roflmao

If you're going to speak like you know, than be sure to know of what you speak. Both systems have pros and cons. Anything with moving parts WILL eventually fail it's just a matter of when. They have been trying since the dawn of man to create a perpetual motion machine and as far as I know it still hasn't been accomplished.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 06:55 PM

Kota or Power pole's both have good CS, you may need that CS no matter which brand you have. Heck I bent a bracket, and it was my fault. PP took care of it.

Im just a PP fan, any of my gripes about how a talon works are all just theory, since I have never owned one.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/10/19 07:52 PM

My Poles have been trouble since they came out of the box. It's a wonder they haven't fallen off the boat yet.

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/11/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by scottsoutdoorworld

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/12/19 12:12 AM

Flip a coin.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/12/19 05:04 PM

For you power pole guys claiming noise as an issue with Talons.

Poles are noisy. No question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2Nam-Z8bs
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/12/19 05:23 PM

If you own a boat then you know things are gonna break. Don't care what it is. If you use the boat much you will never run out of something needing attention, repaired or replaced. I like companies with good customer service because chances are I will need it at some point.

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/12/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DBGSIG

My blade is silent. I guess it’s all in how the pump is isolated/mounted in the boat. My guess is since this is a MinnKota ad video, that they chose the quietest Talon and the noisiest Pole. Lol.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Power Pole or Talon??? - 06/12/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by DBGSIG

My blade is silent. I guess it’s all in how the pump is isolated/mounted in the boat. My guess is since this is a MinnKota ad video, that they chose the quietest Talon and the noisiest Pole. Lol.

Sure, that's it. If your standing on the front of a 20' boat it probably does sound quitter.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum