Texas Fishing Forum

Flutter Spoon Question

Posted By: Chuck72

Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 05:47 PM

About a year ago I decided to learn to fish a Flutter Spoon. I catch a lot of fish on the Flutter Spoon, on the flip side I lose a lot of Flutter Spoons. As most people know there is nothing cheap about a Flutter Spoon.

I fish these on ledges, rocks, humps and deep timber. I end up lose them on all types of structures.

The question becomes is there a trick to not losing Flutter Spoons all the time? I fish them on a heavy rod 7'6" with 65# braid main line to a swivel with 30# Flouro to the spoon.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 05:55 PM

Try switching out the treble for a single hook. Or use KVD short shank triple grip trebles.
Posted By: SilverTR20

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 05:59 PM

The trick is to learn the difference in feel between a fish and a snag. Don't set the hook into a snag. Get on the other side of the snag with your trolling motor and bounce the spoon with your rod tip and most of the time the weight of the spoon will knock the hooks out of the tree or snag. I lost a bunch of these spoons starting out and now I rarely lose one. Hang in there and good luck. I throw mine on straight 20# floro.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 07:24 PM

Can’t find any footage of James Watson smashing them on docks with a spoon. It’s not on the inter-webs.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverTR20
The trick is to learn the difference in feel between a fish and a snag. Don't set the hook into a snag. Get on the other side of the snag with your trolling motor and bounce the spoon with your rod tip and most of the time the weight of the spoon will knock the hooks out of the tree or snag. I lost a bunch of these spoons starting out and now I rarely lose one. Hang in there and good luck. I throw mine on straight 20# floro.

+1, and I use 20lb florocarbon fishing 1.25 to 1.5 oz.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 09:16 PM

If you're fishing lakes with LOTS of rocks like Travis or Buchanan, etc, good luck. It's not like getting em hung up on a branch or tree. They fall BETWEEN the rocks. Nite nite flutter spoon. I'll get one out once in a while, but by and large they're goners!
Posted By: Kyle_N07

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 09:49 PM

Not exactly on topic...but have any of yall fished Flutter spoons in dirty to chocolate milk water with any luck?
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 10:23 PM

Try to get straight over the spoon and jiggle it. They will usually come free.
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 11:13 PM

what hook are you using with this spoon? Any problems hooking up with the single hook? What size and make of the single or treble hook used? Anyone tried large circle hooks?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 11:18 PM

I won a tournament on Amistad on a Fluter Spoon. We had been winning on deep grass 30 ft. tall with the Heavy Drop Shot and Gene Larew Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon. This was the 5th win in a row. The lake came up 15 ft. and all the Deep Grass fell. This was the last tournament. I had 5 Spoons ready. The fish were still hanging around the grass not wanting to leave it. There was quite of a pile of Grass on my best spots; now at 45 to 50 ft. Two of these Spoons, I switched out with 2.0 treble hooks with Weed guards. It worked nicely to keep from hanging in the grass at that depth. These Bass wanted that Spoon Dead Sticked and just a few inches off the pile of grass. If you jigged it up and down to make it flutter they would not bite. This has always been the case with the Heavy Drop Shot inside the deep grass. The key was to keep it as still as possible. They just did not like it moving around.
https://www.amazon.com/Mustad-Classic-Treble-Hook-Guard/dp/B00DT0TCGG#
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/05/19 11:39 PM

Silver Tr20 is leading you in the right direction and Donald has a great tip too. I use a lure retriever with great success in freeing my spoons and other lures. I use a telescopic down to 18’ and then my hound dog past that.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/06/19 12:52 AM

II do not fish flutter spoons much, but I use the Joe Spaints Flutter spoon most of the time and I have only lost 1 of them. Make sure your ROD is suitable for the spoon. I fish mine on a 7'6" MH rod with a fast tip on 17 to 20# McCoys Mean Green. I do not know if it is my technique or I get lucky or that I am not fishing it properly, but I catch TONS of fish on it, when the time is right to throw it. Maybe has something to do with the spoon, maybe I am just lucky, dunno. Wish I could help more. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, get on the back side to try to remove it or RIGHT over it, too.

Thad Rains
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 01:33 AM

Skip the leader and tie it to the braid. Put the short shank hook on it like the suggestion above, or add a single screw lock hook and then add a short piece of plastic finesse worm or something similar to make it weedless or put a light wire treble hook on it. I keep a short section of a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel rod in the boat so I can wrap the braid around several times and then pull on it to try and get a stuck bait out. Don't pull on the braid with your hand, If you do you could end up with a very nasty cut in your fingers or hand.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
I won a tournament on Amistad on a Fluter Spoon. We had been winning on deep grass 30 ft. tall with the Heavy Drop Shot and Gene Larew Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon. This was the 5th win in a row. The lake came up 15 ft. and all the Deep Grass fell. This was the last tournament.
https://www.amazon.com/Mustad-Classic-Treble-Hook-Guard/dp/B00DT0TCGG#

Just curious -- what year was this and what tournaments did you win 5 in a row ?
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 04:58 PM

I've managed to get mine back using the bass pro e-z lure retriever. same concept as the older hound dog retriever but lost that due to not replacing the main line itself after like 15 years... :-( just get over top and the weight will knock it loose.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 05:07 PM

How does the single hook deal effect hookup ratio?

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

I haven't had a problem with it at all.

Re: Flutter Spoon Question - 06/10/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

I haven't had a problem with it at all. I use that set up if I am fishing it around timber. If I am in more open water without cover then I will use the regular flutter spoon with the treble hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum