Texas Fishing Forum

Leadership on Leaders

Posted By: lowew79

Leadership on Leaders - 06/01/19 11:13 PM

When do you use a leader, what types of lures?

What pound test do you use? Bigger than the main line? Less?

Do you use a swivel to attach it?

Mono or Flouro?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/01/19 11:38 PM

With a C-rig I use braid mainline(for sensitivity) attached to a 15lb mono leader with a Sampo swivel in between. That’s the only application I use a leader. I like the idea of using a leader with braid for T-rigged plastics but can’t seem to make the knot thru the guides thing work well no matter what knot I use or how small & tight I make it. Not a fan of leaders other than c-rig.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 01:19 AM

I use a leader with a swivel on a C rig. I use 25lb fluorocarbon for that. I use a leader on my wacky rig fairy wand. I use 6lb fluorocarbon on that rig with an alberto knot. No leaders on anything else.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 02:07 AM

Good information above, but I am going to attack something else. How LONG of a leader are you using? I have used short (12") to long 7' long. NORMALLY, the hotter it is, the longer the leader, but not always. Let the fish tell you. I use a leader on a C-rig and a drop shot. I actually tie a VERY short leader 6" of so, to my main line and get more action on my bait that way. My usual leader on a c-rig is probably about 18-20" long Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Patta-whack

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 02:47 AM

Similar to above, I use a leader on c-rig and attach main line and leader to a swivel. The length of leader varies depending on if I am fishing grass or hard bottom. 18” is the shortest I have used but I have had as long as 6’. Usually my leader is slightly lighter than the main line. I use 40 lb braid and 20 lb fluorocarbon leader on c-rig most of the time, but have dropped to 10 or 12 lb leader in really clear water.

I use 10 lb braid and 6-8 lb flouro leader on spinning rigs. For drop shot I use the smallest swivel I can and leader is about 4-6’ long. For anything spinning other than drop shot I attach the leader with either an Alberto or FG knot. I like the FG a little better due it being thinner, but it is a PIA to tie. Alberto is much easier and not much bigger so if I’m on the water and have to re-tie I use the Alberto knot. If I’m in the shop prepping for a trip I will tie the FG.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 01:17 PM

20lb Invizx for main leader 12 or 15lb invizx for the leader. Length of leader depends on the brushpile/rockpile snagging. Shorten for snaggy and around 24-36" for open water.

I don't use braid because I fish a lot of wood and rockpiles. I find braid digs into wood and rocks cut braid pretty easily.
Posted By: ma1950

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 02:51 PM

How many out there actually use floro leader material and not just floro line and if so do you like it better ?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Leadership on Leaders - 06/02/19 03:01 PM

I do not use ANY flouro material whatsoever. Do not like it, too brittle for me and fishing in lots of timber/rocks. It gets a nip in the line and you have to retie it or stand the chance of loosing a fish. I use copoly, McCoys Mean Green for almost everything I do, except for C0rigging. Too much stretch in me for a main line for that, but I do use it for the leader material. I use 17 to 20 lb main line and 12 to 15lb leader material. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe ad good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum