Texas Fishing Forum

THEIVES — ATHENS

Posted By: DBFishing83

THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 12:05 AM

Well ..... almost made it.
Out of Athens that is without any incident — but NO
While I was on my trip to Picachos Mexico someone helped themselves to all my fishing gear that I did not have with me.
St Croix rods — 2 Legend Tournamnts / 3 Premier
Impulse rods — 5
Abu Garcia Revo Premiers - 5
Lew’s Tournament Speed Spools - 5
2 Reel Time Ron Grantham custom 5-6 rods with Booner & Sooner set in them
These custom rods are White with Red lettering and gold eye wrap thread
10 plastic Plano boxes of lures
If you see any of this stuff —- give the Athens police a call
Thanks
By the way — the fishing at Picachos was off the chart
462 fish in 4 days
Probably missed or let off the hook at the boat another 200
Don’t let anyone fool you, the loaner rods suck. Take your own.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 12:18 AM

I’m sorry to hear about your gear . I’ll keep my eyes open
Posted By: beartrap

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 12:35 PM

should have mentioned that they have large supply of rods but you need to pick through them and select Dobyns rods....those temple fork rods are sensitive enough but just lack the backbone to get a good hookset.....

sorry about your theft loss....
Posted By: Andrew Murphy

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 05:39 PM

I had a transom saver jacked out of the back of my truck at Athens. I do believe they have some locals that go through the parking lot on the weekends, and steal whatever they can. Make sure you lock the vehicle and don't have anything in the back.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 05:44 PM

Athens is really close to Speeder Creek
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
should have mentioned that they have large supply of rods but you need to pick through them and select Dobyns rods....those temple fork rods are sensitive enough but just lack the backbone to get a good hookset.....

Bear, what are you talking about? A used tackle store?
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

should have mentioned that they [Ron Speed's Adventures at Lake Picachos] have large supply of rods but you need to pick through them and select Dobyns rods....those temple fork rods are sensitive enough but just lack the backbone to get a good hookset.....

He's talking about the loaner rods at Picachos
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti

should have mentioned that they [Ron Speed's Adventures at Lake Picachos] have large supply of rods but you need to pick through them and select Dobyns rods....those temple fork rods are sensitive enough but just lack the backbone to get a good hookset.....

So his stolen rods were found in Mexico??
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Scagnetti

So his stolen rods were found in Mexico??

No, a transom saver was stolen in Mexico. The stolen rods were found at speeder creek.

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/28/19 11:31 PM

*** dang you guys are funny ***

Rods were stolen out of my Fishing Shed at my home in Athens
Transom Saver was stolen at the Lake Athens parking lot -- don't leave stuff in the bed of your truck
Rods at Ron Speed Jrs on Lake Picachos suck -- cost me hooking up a couple of hundred fish --- take your own rods to Mexico
Speeder Creek -- don't know anything about it
Posted By: dk2429

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 01:00 AM

It's not even my stuff, but it would make my entire life to just shoot those [censored] dead. I HATE a thief, and one better hope he doesn't mess with the wrong person.. he wouldn't know what he's got coming
Posted By: tricky

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
It's not even my stuff, but it would make my entire life to just shoot those [censored] dead. I HATE a thief, and one better hope he doesn't mess with the wrong person.. he wouldn't know what he's got coming

DUDE... I hate a thief too but geeeez.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 05:37 PM

hung only good thief is a DEAD ONE... you lost a lot of stuff man. sucks to hear it.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by tricky
Originally Posted by dk2429

DUDE... I hate a thief too but geeeez.

When i decided to carry I decided stuff was not worth killing over. Someone hurting my family or in my house that person is in trouble. Still hate a thief bad but stuff can be replaced. Sorry they got you and thanks for the heads up about the rods at RSJ, taking my Dad next spring and can't wait!!
Posted By: Brad R

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 06:22 PM

flukeman83,

Will keep and eye out for any rods that look like yours.

Lake Athens is considered a really safe lake as you know since you are local. We have an occasional theft here and there . . . but nothing like Cedar Creek from what I hear (Speeder Creek, ha!).

Sounds to me like it was someone familiar with your home, able to watch you coming and going. I can't imagine anyone following you from the lake as they'd have no idea how far away you lived.

For sure around the boat ramp parking area for others reading this. Got to keep everything locked up tight, nothing in the back of a truck of any value on this lake and most all others. And, since so many lakes are off limits, we are seeing a heck of a lot of boats for now, more than usual. More boats = attracts more thieves. They follow the action.

Brad

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 06:26 PM

I got some suspicions …….. but you know
Yeah --- someone has been watching me get ready to move & waited until I was gone for a while.
timed it just right so only my wife was here.
….. Lake Athens is a really good safe place -- never had an issue there.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 06:45 PM

I’d scan Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and pawn shops for your stuff.. idk if the local meth dealer takes fishing gear as payment so I’m sure the thieves are looking to turn them into cash
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/29/19 08:29 PM

yeah, Speeder Creek is terrible and the theft is rampant! you bass guys should probably stay away.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: THEIVES — ATHENS - 05/30/19 01:40 PM

Took my kids to Athens few years ago for the States bluegill tournament for little kids.
My daughter and my sons fishing rods and tackle bags were stolen out of my boat. Luckily, I still had my rods locked up since I never got them out.
Several other boats were burglarized too...and this was at the freshwater fisheries parking lot???
We were only away from the boats for 15-20min for their little awards ceremony...what kind of trash lives around there that would steal kids fishing rods ???
Damn tweakers...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum