Texas Fishing Forum

Is the z man jackhammer worth the money

Posted By: tpvegas2213

Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 09:59 PM

Is the z man jackhammer chatterbaits better then the other they make
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 10:07 PM

Better in terms of quality......yes. Worth the extra money...….not for me.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 10:17 PM

Caught about 20 bass yesterday on an original $3.99 chatterbait. Can't imagine the $15 one is that much better.
Posted By: tpvegas2213

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 11:03 PM

I heard they dont rise like the cheeper one do
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 11:23 PM

Yes they are worth the money. That bait hunts like no other. Top quality components
I'll keep buying them.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/26/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
Yes they are worth the money. That bait hunts like no other. Top quality components
I'll keep buying them.

Guess you havent tried a Finch Nasty .... made right there in Texas?
Posted By: Von

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 12:27 AM

The jackhammers I've thrown dont hunt anymore than any other charter type bait? I keep hearing that the jackhammers hint... I haven't seen it.

The question i have is how did SK get around the blade to jig (no split ring) deal?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 12:38 AM

Yes they are if you feel like paying more for a better bait.

I just bought several Strike King Thunder Crickets and they are well made as well and a little cheaper.

Have not had a chance to throw the TC's yet so I don't how they work yet. fish
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 12:43 AM

Yes they are,, but had a buddy turn me on to these which have more action looking forward to trying.them.

https://www.ichibantackle.com/products/3299-IMAKATSU-MOGULLA-MOTH-CHATTER-MONSTER-12-oz/

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by El Skeeter
Yes they are,, but had a buddy turn me on to these which have more action looking forward to trying.them.

https://www.ichibantackle.com/products/3299-IMAKATSU-MOGULLA-MOTH-CHATTER-MONSTER-12-oz/

Out of stock mad
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I'll keep buying them.

Guess you havent tried a Finch Nasty .... made right there in Texas?

roflmao

Jackhammers are worth every penny & the only one I tie on with money on the line.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 04:46 AM

In my opinion, yes.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 02:01 PM

Jackhammers are worth every penny & the only one I tie on with money on the line.[/quote]

Wonder why you rarely hear the pros say I caught them on a jackhammer? Usually they say caught them on a "bladed jig"!
Posted By: Barn

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites

Originally Posted by James Biggs

Jackhammers are worth every penny & the only one I tie on with money on the line.

Wonder why you rarely hear the pros say I caught them on a jackhammer? Usually they say caught them on a "bladed jig"!

Many of them aren't sponsored by Z-Man, thus they use the generic term 'bladed jig" instead. Otherwise, if it's a sponsored bait they will specifically say what they are using.

Anyway they do seem to have a little more hunting action and harder thump. Beside the upgrade components I am not sure they produce significantly more bites for me. It may not make much difference for most folks out fun fishing. However, for the pros a few more bites could make a huge difference. Either way, it's all about confidence. fish
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Barn

Originally Posted by James Biggs

Many of them aren't sponsored by Z-Man, thus they use the generic term 'bladed jig" instead. Otherwise, if it's a sponsored bait they will specifically say what they are using.

Anyway they do seem to have a little more hunting action and harder thump. Beside the upgrade components I am not sure they produce significantly more bites for me. It may not make much difference for most folks out fun fishing. However, for the pros a few more bites could make a huge difference. Either way, it's all about confidence. fish

Follow the money! cheers
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 04:15 PM

[/quote]

I have seen pro after pro at weigh ins say they caught them on TV Jackhammer. Heck some even joke about going broke buying them. Couple mentioned buying $1000 or more worth of them. Live footage shows many are using them. Much like when the LC RC 1.5 came out those guys were using them simply because they work
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 08:58 PM

Yes they are!
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/27/19 11:45 PM

Worth it to me and tourney checks pay for them
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 12:32 AM

I’ve never bought one but I can tell you several guys have cashed checks throwing one in our kayak bass tournaments. Enough that I can say they definitely catch bass. They are pricey so that is why I haven’t bought any I have a bad habit of loosing chatterbaits to hang ups and stuff. My fault 100% though lol.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 12:53 AM

Definitely worth it. I have 8 or 9 Finch nastys and I like them a lot, but you can't burn them, they are good for slow rolling. Jackhammers swim and vibrate great fast or slow.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 12:56 AM

The Jackhammer does have great action but this is what you can expect from the 40# Decoy snap when it encounters a really large fish on 65# braid.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 02:51 AM

Yes they are worth the money. But I have to agree the finch nasty is just as good. I have both. I l
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 03:27 AM

"hunt" lol

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
The Jackhammer does have great action but this is what you can expect from the 40# Decoy snap when it encounters a really large fish on 65# braid.

[Linked Image]

So are Decoy's the replacement snap for them? I don't throw them on braid, but I've gotten hung up a couple times on Fluorocarbon and bent them like that. I have been able to get them working again, but I would rather replace them. Nothing out there that I could find on Google for who makes the ones that come from the factory

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom

So are Decoy's the replacement snap for them? I don't throw them on braid, but I've gotten hung up a couple times on Fluorocarbon and bent them like that. I have been able to get them working again, but I would rather replace them. Nothing out there that I could find on Google for who makes the ones that come from the factory

Yes they use the 40# Decoy snap. It says on the back of the package.

This is the one I switched to 70#. Kind of like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle to get it on but works well and does not hinder the action of the JH or Thumpers.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 12:55 PM

Overpriced, but they're the best bladed jig I've used by a fair margin. That's what I'm throwing in tournaments, maybe cheaper ones fun fishing or practice.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 01:08 PM

Thanks Ken!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 01:22 PM

I take the blades off the cheap version and make my own. Plenty of molds out there with similar head design and you get to customize the hook size and skirts.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Von
The jackhammers I've thrown dont hunt anymore than any other charter type bait? I keep hearing that the jackhammers hint... I haven't seen it.

The question i have is how did SK get around the blade to jig (no split ring) deal?

SK pays a licensing fee or something similar to be able to "infringe" on the Z-Man patent. Basically, Z-Man allows Strike King to produce the baits.
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by Von

SK pays a licensing fee or something similar to be able to "infringe" on the Z-Man patent. Basically, Z-Man allows Strike King to produce the baits.

if you look on the back of the package of a Thunder Cricket it says "manufactured by Z-Man"
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by Von

This ^^^^^, it states it on the back of the package that have purchased rights from Z-man, I am sure that zman is getting a % from every sale.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 04:37 PM

This is the one I switched to 70#. Kind of like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle to get it on but works well and does not hinder the action of the JH or Thumpers.

[Linked Image]

No kidding about the Chinese jigsaw puzzle. I have had to replace a couple and was about ready to slit my wrist
Posted By: dfwexile

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/28/19 08:48 PM

Yes but I would also try imakatsu moth chatter

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee

[Linked Image]

No kidding about the Chinese jigsaw puzzle. I have had to replace a couple and was about ready to slit my wrist

With a rusty razor?? nuts
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 02:21 AM

Unless the jackhammer hangs up less in wood, don’t see how it could be that much better than the original.

Not saying it isn’t, maybe I will buy a couple and try to compare. If it has “better” components, why does the snap fail? Which components are inferior on the originals?

What I do know is I’ve seen people in all walks of life, for all types of products pay more for an item because they think they are getting a better product and that will never admit the more expensive product isn’t any better.

Shoes with kids are the best example. My parents would only buy me Pro-Wings from Payless when I was 10-12 years old because I was growing so fast my toes would bust through the end of the shoes from outgrowing them before they had a chance to wear down. I got laughed at by the “cool” kids, but would bet my life savings if those same shoes had a $150 price tag, all the “cool” kids would have wanted them.

Just about everybody I fish with uses $15 Jerkbaits. I’ve yet to see 1 of them step on my boat and outfish my academy jerkbait/Ugly Stick combo. But the $200 jerkbait rod and the $15 jerkbait are so much superior.

It’s very similar to the Placebo effect. If you have more confidence in a bait, you will probably fish better and harder with that lure.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
Unless the jackhammer hangs up less in wood, don’t see how it could be that much better than the original.

Not saying it isn’t, maybe I will buy a couple and try to compare. If it has “better” components, why does the snap fail? Which components are inferior on the originals?

What I do know is I’ve seen people in all walks of life, for all types of products pay more for an item because they think they are getting a better product and that will never admit the more expensive product isn’t any better.

Shoes with kids are the best example. My parents would only buy me Pro-Wings from Payless when I was 10-12 years old because I was growing so fast my toes would bust through the end of the shoes from outgrowing them before they had a chance to wear down. I got laughed at by the “cool” kids, but would bet my life savings if those same shoes had a $150 price tag, all the “cool” kids would have wanted them.

Just about everybody I fish with uses $15 Jerkbaits. I’ve yet to see 1 of them step on my boat and outfish my academy jerkbait/Ugly Stick combo. But the $200 jerkbait rod and the $15 jerkbait are so much superior.

It’s very similar to the Placebo effect. If you have more confidence in a bait, you will probably fish better and harder with that lure.

Or just maybe the placebo affect is working on you. You have it in your mind your “cheap” tackle is that much better/equal to the high end tackle? Not trying to be rude just playing devils advocate.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 02:36 AM

I get that and I used to believe it too. I also used to have only 2 rods for all techniques and baits. I can tell you that there are a lot of overpriced items that don't work, but I have had much better success with a jackhammer than with the original, yellow magic out preforms my pop'rs, lucky crafts are the best crankbaits especially in square bills, and visions outperform rapala jerks. Now maybe I am just not good enough of a fisherman and need the higher price baits to catchem, but I have them all from the past 37 years and these listed above are my go to baits, not even sure why I still carry the others around.

That said, I have to buy my kids clothes from Goodwill because of my tackle addiction.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 02:54 AM

Or just maybe the placebo affect is working on you. You have it in your mind your “cheap” tackle is that much better/equal to the high end tackle? Not trying to be rude just playing devils advocate.

Nah, I spend money where I believe it is necessary and save money when I think it isn’t. Still waiting for someone to prove me wrong on the jerkbaits.

I’ve caught more and bigger fish in the back of a boat with a Pop R than people in the front of the boat throwing yellow Magic’s and Ricos as well.

I don’t necessarily want to be proved right, I honestly want to know which is the best. So far my Academy jerkbaits have performed better consistently from the front and back of the boat. I’ve used higher dollar jerkbaits and have noticed no difference.

I’m not saying I’m right and others are wrong. Maybe it’s a factor of individuals fishing styles. Not doubting some people catch more fish with these more expensive lures. While maybe not more expensive, I can’t catch a fish to save my life on an Ocho. But can tie on a similar color humdinger or senko and catch fish. Somebody is catching fish on Ochos.
Posted By: dfwexile

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 03:00 AM

I would probably spend $30 on it
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 03:19 AM

Alex Finch makes two different "bladed jigs". The first model he made thumps very hard. The Jackhammer doesn't thump as hard but it runs very well in the water. I tried the Booyah one and did not like it at all.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 05:13 AM

Have they caught 2 13lbers that you know of probably not but the finch nasty chatterbaits have!

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Have they caught 2 13lbers that you know of probably not but the finch nasty chatterbaits have!

And that proves what?
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 12:31 PM

And that proves what?

That punctuation is very important to the meaning of statements.
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 12:39 PM

OP when you ask are they "better" what do you consider better? Here is a breakdown of the differences between the "original" and the JH

1. Hand tied skirt (does it catch more or bigger fish? but it does hold up better)
2. Better hook
3. Better bait keeper
4. upgraded snap
5. paint on the blade does not flake off as quick
6. runs "truer" more horizontal

So better materials for longevity of use yes, better as in catches more fish.... in my experience yes, but that doesn't make it a fact either. I have a lot of confidence in it which to me confidence= more fish.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 12:51 PM

And that proves what?

It proves they were in a lake with a LOT of big fish. Lol.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 01:07 PM

The Jackhammer has the erratic hunting action that only one out of 4 of the originals have. Not saying it is worth $18 but cost is a relative term. To some paying $18 for a fishing lure may seem exorbitant while to others no big deal. I don't get your analogy of shoes for kids. Kids outgrow shoes quickly. I own several topwater plugs I paid $30 for in 1985 that still produce. Yes, it seemed excessive at the time but topwater plugs never wear out.

I would challenge the notion that the Decoy snap on the Jackhammer is "upgraded". I am sure Morizo Shimizu and Z-Man spent countless hours testing the lure with other snaps and settled on the 40# Decoy snap because of the way the lure behaved on the retrieve. It is very thin wire and I am sure it is made of Unobtanium or some other precious metal but they are weak snaps. I was concerned when I installed the larger Owner snap that I would lose the original action of the bait but it continues to hunt well and catch fish.

That's the nice thing about fishing. You don't have to spend a ton of money on equipment to be successful. I don't look down of folks that use a blister-pack $49 rod& reel combo from Walmart. I expect the same courtesy when they find out the rod & reel I am using cost $1,300.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 02:15 PM

I don't get your analogy of shoes for kids.

The belief that if it costs more, it must be better.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 04:12 PM

Truthfully if you've never used one then you have zero foundation to form an actual opinion on its effectiveness/performance.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Truthfully if you've never used one then you have zero foundation to form an actual opinion on its effectiveness/performance.

......and I have not made an opinion on its effectiviness. I was speaking "in general" and gave other examples.

I also stated I need to get a couple to see if they work better for me, and asked which components were actually upgraded?

I have a chatterbait tied on right now that has probably caught 120 fish or so in the last couple of months. The skirt is still intact, hook is good, blade is same color, although I have gone through quite a bit of trailers. Was simply curious what would make it better?
Posted By: tricky

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 05:19 PM

......and I have not made an opinion on its effectiviness. I was speaking "in general" and gave other examples.

I also stated I need to get a couple to see if they work better for me, and asked which components were actually upgraded?

I have a chatterbait tied on right now that has probably caught 120 fish or so in the last couple of months. The skirt is still intact, hook is good, blade is same color, although I have gone through quite a bit of trailers. Was simply curious what would make it better?

I will give you thirty bucks for that one...
cheers
Posted By: BigVes

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 05:26 PM

Yes, especially around grass. Stock up when TW has sale running
Posted By: 361V

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 06:21 PM

Dang guys, there're talking about a lure not your mother. Everyone gets so defensive. So many of y’all/us share information on a FORUM to help others by sharing our good discoveries. If they choose to ignore or even bad mouth the info....oh well. You can only lead a horse to water, you can’t make him......well you know!
laugh

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 06:34 PM

The Jackhammer has the erratic hunting action that only one out of 4 of the originals have. Not saying it is worth $18 but cost is a relative term. To some paying $18 for a fishing lure may seem exorbitant while to others no big deal. I don't get your analogy of shoes for kids. Kids outgrow shoes quickly. I own several topwater plugs I paid $30 for in 1985 that still produce. Yes, it seemed excessive at the time but topwater plugs never wear out.

I would challenge the notion that the Decoy snap on the Jackhammer is "upgraded". I am sure Morizo Shimizu and Z-Man spent countless hours testing the lure with other snaps and settled on the 40# Decoy snap because of the way the lure behaved on the retrieve. It is very thin wire and I am sure it is made of Unobtanium or some other precious metal but they are weak snaps. I was concerned when I installed the larger Owner snap that I would lose the original action of the bait but it continues to hunt well and catch fish.

That's the nice thing about fishing. You don't have to spend a ton of money on equipment to be successful. I don't look down of folks that use a blister-pack $49 rod& reel combo from Walmart. I expect the same courtesy when they find out the rod & reel I am using cost $1,300.

I have 18 or 20 jackhammers in my boat. If i bring them all to you. Will you change all the snaps for me. Lol

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/29/19 11:33 PM

I have 18 or 20 jackhammers in my boat. If i bring them all to you. Will you change all the snaps for me. Lol

Yes I will!

For $1,300.....

roflmao

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/30/19 12:20 AM

Yes I will!

For $1,300.....

roflmao

Out of my price range. Lol
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/30/19 12:35 AM

I have thrown the zman Jackhammer, projectZ, custom, elite, and original models. Plus finch, SK, picasso, phenix, and omega bladed jigs.

Personally i prefer the projectZ (they used to have one similar called the 'custom') -
it falls somewhere in between on the price-range $8-$9, has a very durable line-tie, and an upgraded hook and bait-keeper compared to original. For me it swims true. I haven't noticed much of a difference between the JH and the projectZ/custom chatterbaits in terms of performance, but the line tie on the JH makes me nervous.

My T pardner throws finch almost exclusively - some days the finch catches better, some days Z catches better, and some days they are about the same.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/30/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Dang guys, there're talking about a lure not your mother. Everyone gets so defensive. So many of y’all/us share information on a FORUM to help others by sharing our good discoveries. If they choose to ignore or even bad mouth the info....oh well. You can only lead a horse to water, you can’t make him......well you know!
laugh

Now we talking mommas? Lol
Posted By: Alex Finch

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/30/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

And that proves what?

We're busy with a newborn baby girl, but I do think this is an important statement.

First part of catching a fish on any lake is to get the fish to bite. Second part is getting it in. I know a lot of people throw their preferred brands, and that's how it should be in a free market.

Fork has a lot of big fish in it, but I'm sure guys fish every brand and type of bladed jig out there. Everyone knows about the two 13s, but the number of boats and $ won on our bladed jigs on Fork and other lakes that you don't know about is what is remarkable to me. I don't post them all out of respect for my customers.

The most important thing in the teenager comment is that two guys (Me being one) were able to get their bucket list fish in the boat with a bladed jig we built, and because of those two fish (one was enough for me) you can be pretty confident in your chances to land the fish of a lifetime when it bites using our stock components.

So, to me, the answer to the OP question is subjective. Maybe you can get more bites some days on a JH than any other bladed jig, maybe your odds of catching/landing a bigger fish go up with another brand. It all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. When I buy plastics or hard baits, I buy the ones that I think give me the best chance to catch big ones.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/30/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Finch
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

And that proves what?

We're busy with a newborn baby girl, but I do think this is an important statement.

First part of catching a fish on any lake is to get the fish to bite. Second part is getting it in. I know a lot of people throw their preferred brands, and that's how it should be in a free market.

Fork has a lot of big fish in it, but I'm sure guys fish every brand and type of bladed jig out there. Everyone knows about the two 13s, but the number of boats and $ won on our bladed jigs on Fork and other lakes that you don't know about is what is remarkable to me. I don't post them all out of respect for my customers.

The most important thing in the teenager comment is that two guys (Me being one) were able to get their bucket list fish in the boat with a bladed jig we built, and because of those two fish (one was enough for me) you can be pretty confident in your chances to land the fish of a lifetime when it bites using our stock components.

So, to me, the answer to the OP question is subjective. Maybe you can get more bites some days on a JH than any other bladed jig, maybe your odds of catching/landing a bigger fish go up with another brand. It all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. When I buy plastics or hard baits, I buy the ones that I think give me the best chance to catch big ones.

This bag was almost all on a finch, the first 4 in the well were and 3 of them stayed all day to the scale.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...06/re-iowa-bag-of-almost-25#Post13160506
Posted By: 361V

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 05/31/19 11:45 AM

Who decided the word “hunt” meant “erratic changes in direction of a fishing lure”? Not in Wikipedia. laugh
Posted By: Yeagerbombs

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/01/19 11:43 PM

Everyone who is boosting the effectiveness of JH's needs to quit posting about them. There's a reason all the pros are dropping thousands of dollars on them and If you aren't on the bandwagon already it might be too late

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/03/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yeagerbombs
Everyone who is boosting the effectiveness of JH's needs to quit posting about them. There's a reason all the pros are dropping thousands of dollars on them and If you aren't on the bandwagon already it might be too late

I dont believe ANYONE is dropping thousands on them.... Thats called marketing. And it seems to be working if you pay attention to how often this comes up on here.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/06/19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Caught about 20 bass yesterday on an original $3.99 chatterbait. Can't imagine the $15 one is that much better.

Well I sipped the Kool-Aid and am eating my own words. Friend of mine posted some Jackhammers for sale and he gut hooked me. Gave $150 for 13 of them, 2 of which are the TG version.
I gotta quit shopping when I'm drunk.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/06/19 03:14 PM

If Airforcefishin would chime in, he can give a real life experience on the difference between the original and the jackhammer. breakdance

There’s no doubt at certain times in December on Sam Rayburn the JH will outfish the original about 10 to 0. roflmao
Posted By: Chet

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/06/19 03:30 PM

Have 6 or 7 JH's and about the same number of Thumpers. I've gotten to where I don't look at the blade when I grab a new bait, and really can't tell a marked difference in catching. So for me the Thumper is a great bait and value.
Posted By: Airforce23

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/06/19 03:36 PM

I will tell you right now bigfishtx did what he always does to me.... that is catch way more fish and show me the difference in buying quality baits.

We were fishing a derby on rayburn running down a bank and he was throwing the JH and I was throwing the original in pretty much the same set up..... I could not get a bite and he was wearing them out. I finally asked for one and we went back down the same bank and it was on. No doubt in my mind they are worth the money and a better bait.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/11/19 12:55 AM

Well I finally got to toss one of the Jackhammers I bought the other day. Have to admit it seems to have a more erratic action compared to the original chatterbait. Went out for a few hours this afternoon after the rain passed and managed to catch 4 keepers.

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/11/19 02:29 AM

Had the same old.original chatterbait on this weekend when I saw a nice fish in 3 ft of water with a smaller fish. I cast the chatterbait past her about 20 ft and reeled it about 2 ft from her and she turned and hammered it.

A buddy and I just bought about $5k worth of gear from another buddy that is moving to Alaska for $2k and there is about $300 worth of Jackhammers in the box. Will tie one on next trip and fish side by side to see if they bite one better than the other, although my chatterbait bait bite is likely winding down. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/11/19 04:12 PM

So after reading all the posts I'm going to pick up 1($$ for me!) jackhammer and try it out just to see. And also ordered a few Finch nasty baits to see how they work. I do like the idea of a EWG hook with the finch bait.

I have used the basic Zman for years and really like them. Cheap and they can catch some damn fish! I think last season almost 80% of my fish came off of them. The club guy wouldn't even ask what I caught my fish on for the article we put out he would just write "chatterbait"! I skip em, flip em, slow roll them deep, ones with different trailers to see what action they prefer, and carry dozens of extra skirts cus its super easy to change em out. Sometimes the hooks don't hold up as well but its usually a trash fish that wrecks them not a bass. On the "new" originals that have recently been changed I "don't" like-
the line tie from the clip to a twist. wasn't broke before and I think it changes the action. And have noticed that on some of the more expensive models they have gone back to the clip over the twist.
the subdued skirts. for me part of the action was seeing the skirt flare as it went along and with any extra rod twitch.
Posted By: Lone Star Ranger

Re: Is the z man jackhammer worth the money - 06/12/19 12:04 AM

They are worth the money.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum