Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Athens Tips

Posted By: willyrdskillyrd

Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 04:49 AM

I’m thinking about taking the kayak out to lake Athens Saturday morning. I’ve never fished this lake and was wondering if anybody had some tips or general areas to get me kick started so I’m not just going out there blindly. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 11:01 AM

I live on Lake Athens, been doing very well all seasons over the past year using a 4" Keitech Shad Impact, essentially a soft jerk bait. I throw it weightless, almost fish it like a T-Rigged worm where I let it drift to the bottom, twitch it slowly on the retrieval. But, try retrieves at different depths to see how the bass want it.

The issue with much of Lake Athens is it has a lot of bottom vegetation so if you throw weighted presentations, they can sort of disappear into it. I try to stay right above the vegetation.

Locations for a kayak to hit? Fish the 2495 bridge just off the boat ramp first, I suppose. Both sides and under the bridge. I also do well on the far side of the cove behind the restaurant. You'll see some PVC pipes sticking out of the water marking a utility line. I seem to always catch bass/crappie/panfish there. Finally, up beyond the 2495 bridge, there are several obvious points and all produce bass well.

I might see you out there depending on my schedule!

Brad
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 11:19 AM

Went last weekend. Got a few frog bites early then a wacky rigged watermelon/red senko the rest of the day
Posted By: CedarCreekBassAngler

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 01:14 PM

Just fish slow with a senko around the grass lines, interestingly enough I caught an 9 pounder on a jerkbait around some docks, so think outside of the box and fish stuff you otherwise wouldn't on a grassy lake.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 01:22 PM

I've only fished it once, but take several frogs. Some places on the lake, there just aren't many options for what you can fish without dealing with grass on your bait.
Posted By: jdnail

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 05:19 PM

This time of year they really bite a carolina rig french fry and a drop shot ( Reactions Innovations Flirt) fish just outside the grass on the first point leaving the spawning pockets. I also like the frog , buzzbait, and yellow magic over the grass, and a swim jig fished slowly over the grass. Athens is my favorite lake to fish in May and June.

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 07:27 PM

Thanks y’all, this helps a lot!

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/23/19 08:22 PM

They had the Tuesday night tournament and I spoke to Glenn (??) at the registration table, and he said some Lake Fork regulars were there earlier that day and caught a 12 pounder.

Great lake for both numbers and/or size and it seems very consistent all year long.

If you like grass and pads, you'll have a lake full of options!

Brad

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/24/19 02:34 AM

Looks like I’m for sure going Saturday morning so I’m looking forward to using the info yall’ve given me!
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/24/19 03:41 AM

I would be on the water as early as possible not to miss that morning top water bite, always had good luck throwing buzz baits over and around the grass.
Posted By: jdnail

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/24/19 04:10 PM

Just be sure to use green pumpkin or watermelon on your soft plastics. They love green on this lake.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/24/19 07:09 PM

HOW IS THE LAKE FISHING IN THE EVENING ?

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/24/19 08:41 PM

It fishes great as the sun starts dropping down around 7 PM or so, one of my favorite times to get out. Since I am in a canoe or kayak, I rarely fish into the dark hours but I know several here who do with good results.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/25/19 01:26 PM

WENT YESTERDAY EVENING FOR A FEW HOURS , DID ALRIGHT ON A SENKO . AMAZED AT THE RUDE BOATERS ON A TINY FISHING LAKE WITH NO REGARD FOR FISHERMAN. WOULD HAVE CAUGHT MORE BUT GOT SKIMMED BY A PONTOON AND SKI BOAT( GOT TO CLOSE IN SHALLOW WATER AND HAD THEY HAD THE ENTIRE LAKE ) . I WAS LIKE , YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME . THE BUOY WAS OBLIVIOUS TO THEM APPARENTLY .
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/25/19 01:45 PM

WHY ARE WE YELLING?
Posted By: rducky625

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/25/19 03:35 PM

Is there a camp ground on the lake. Primitive ok.

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/25/19 06:17 PM

Caught 6 or 7 this morning with the two biggest being 4lb 3oz and 5lb 3oz on a frog and weightless senko.
Posted By: Shaky Horn

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/26/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brad R
I live on Lake Athens, been doing very well all seasons over the past year using a 4" Keitech Shad Impact, essentially a soft jerk bait. I throw it weightless, almost fish it like a T-Rigged worm where I let it drift to the bottom, twitch it slowly on the retrieval. But, try retrieves at different depths to see how the bass want it.

The issue with much of Lake Athens is it has a lot of bottom vegetation so if you throw weighted presentations, they can sort of disappear into it. I try to stay right above the vegetation.

Locations for a kayak to hit? Fish the 2495 bridge just off the boat ramp first, I suppose. Both sides and under the bridge. I also do well on the far side of the cove behind the restaurant. You'll see some PVC pipes sticking out of the water marking a utility line. I seem to always catch bass/crappie/panfish there. Finally, up beyond the 2495 bridge, there are several obvious points and all produce bass well.

I might see you out there depending on my schedule!

Brad

I just bought a place on the lake so I appreciate your guidance.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/26/19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
WHY ARE WE YELLING?

Because he is ticked that someone got to close to him on Athens. Don't tell him pontoons and ski boats use fishermen as targets. I love fishing Athens as I live 5 miles from the ramp,but I have become used to others getting closer than I would. That's just the way it is today.

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/27/19 01:02 PM

Small lake at 1799 acres full pool so it can get crowded especially with so many other lakes more or less off limits owing to high water now.

Last evening, 5 of us sat in our kayaks and fished the 2495 bridge and caught a heck of a lot of bass. Too, we had one bass boat fishing with us, another later on, so we were all in a big circle sort of casting to its center. Nary an issue, lots of conversation, dropping our presentations within 10 feet of each other. I think we likely caught 30 bass between us all. Everyone caught multiple bass.

We also had boats and jet skis idling by at and under the bridge as it is, of course, a boat lane connecting two parts of the lake.

For sure, though, and especially from a kayak on holiday weekends, you have to expect the worst. And, the "worst" is typically the pleasure boaters who just don't get out but a few times a year, never learn or form any neighborly habits on the water. And, the worst slobs? Bank fisherman, by far, whose parents apparently never made them make their beds, clean up. I guess that is what I attribute their habits to.

It'll be another busy day today, I suspect!

Brad

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/28/19 02:46 AM

I can’t wait to get out to Athens again. I didn’t even fish right under the bridge, just the banks around it. Seems like a good lake to catch a lot of quality bass
Posted By: Fishinchristian

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/28/19 10:49 PM

i have no problem with kayak fisherpeople however some of yall are crazy don't you know some of these boats go 70+ mph and run boat lanes etc and at 70+ mph a little kayak is hard to see. I would suggest to them kayak fisherpeople to please be careful where you are kayaking the middle of the lake or boat lane is probably not the best choice of routes. i have almost totaled out a boat due to kayak fisherman at fork paddling in the boatlane. Please Don't get me wrong I am not saying I have any more right to be on the lake than you do I am just pointing out the obvious that in low light conditions those kayaks are hard to see when you are taking off in a tournament
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/29/19 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fishinchristian
i have no problem with kayak fisherpeople however some of yall are crazy don't you know some of these boats go 70+ mph and run boat lanes etc and at 70+ mph a little kayak is hard to see. I would suggest to them kayak fisherpeople to please be careful where you are kayaking the middle of the lake or boat lane is probably not the best choice of routes. i have almost totaled out a boat due to kayak fisherman at fork paddling in the boatlane. Please Don't get me wrong I am not saying I have any more right to be on the lake than you do I am just pointing out the obvious that in low light conditions those kayaks are hard to see when you are taking off in a tournament
This is probably the “Lake Athens Tips” the OP was looking for! laugh

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/30/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fishinchristian

Well, I cross the wide open water carefully . . . but more usually just work around the shoreline. If I do cross, I wait until it is clear as possible and cross open water in the several places where Lake Athens is "pinched" a bit and narrower and thus quicker to cross.

One issue with Lake Athens is it is a relatively small lake at 1799 acres. It is less than 3 miles from the boat ramp to the dam, for example. At 60 mph, a boater can make it in 3 minutes.

And, they often do.

Brad
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Lake Athens Tips - 05/30/19 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brad R
Small lake at 1799 acres

i forgot it was that small. It fishes bigger with offshore structure, shoreline vegetation, docks, etc.
That's what is so fun about that place - usually you can catch some fish doing whatever you are good at doing - there's very few lakes like it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum