Texas Fishing Forum

Iowa bag of almost 25#

Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 01:34 PM

I fished a Iowa tourney and almost busted 25lb.. Wish I could have culled the 3.8 and 4.0 w a 5 plus.

I wish guys would stop using penetrating cull tags and picking up 5lb and over fish by them three had huge tears in their lower jaw. It clearly doesnt hurt the fish just like piercing a ear but internet keyboard warriors were quick to whine about my fingers poking thru the existing holes. Everyone is a critic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 01:39 PM

nice bag!
Posted By: TheFluke215

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 01:42 PM

Shallow water chunks! Good job. I would’ve pee’d on myself too if I’d caught that big of a stringer!
Just kidding with ya. cheers
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 01:49 PM

Holy moly. Nice stringer. Okoboji??

SE Kansas grass grower

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 01:54 PM

Okoboji yes. Traveling shallow. In hindsight two needed fizzed. They floated all day. I ran recirculate and aerate on manual all day and weighed them down. They were very healthy as I checked them a lot but it never occured to me on this deep water lake the big ones could travel that far to eat. They must have come from a mile away to eat from deep water.

I caught them all in a few minute span, 3 in 3 casts in fact one cast with nothing then the 4th and the last a few minutes later.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 02:07 PM

nice!
Posted By: RunTX

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 03:36 PM

Nice Iowa bag!
Go Panthers.

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/20/19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheFluke215
Shallow water chunks! Good job. I would’ve pee’d on myself too if I’d caught that big of a stringer!
Just kidding with ya. cheers

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic...
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 07:51 PM

Great Big Bag 'O Bass thumb
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 08:14 PM

I wouldn’t worry about. The traditional piercing cull tags are fine. Won’t hurt the fish. People are just to sensitive these days and need to quit being little girls about stuff. Majoring in the minors.

Nice sack!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 08:50 PM

Congratulations Jeff on a nice win. Thanks for sharing. I thank it has really helped you to come down here to Lake Fork to practice. That was way to easy.
roflmao
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 08:54 PM

Rest in Grease
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 09:14 PM

Congrats man, those are some healthy looking fish. Big stringer anywhere.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/30/19 11:01 PM

How much did they weigh?? Nice bag!!
Posted By: ETX Hammer

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 05:25 AM

Any advice for Brushy Creek? I’m up here in Fort Dodge for work.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 09:41 AM

Great sack! You’ll never please everyone so just follow your own conscience.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 10:10 AM

Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 11:30 AM

Was reading about that tournament on BBC, that was a team tournament that Dave Vogel organized. Great man and angler.

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
Was reading about that tournament on BBC, that was a team tournament that Dave Vogel organized. Great man and angler.

I was not in that tourney that was two weeks before my tourney. (interestingly I looked at bbc and the winning weight was 24.18 for that team event)

Mine was a club tourney for me and I was fishing against the guy in the back of my boat as we have 5 non boaters and the short sticks get them..... I havent ever fished any form of a open tourney.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 01:14 PM

Nice fish. I did not think Iowa could kick out that big a stringer. Props.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I fished a Iowa tourney and almost busted 25lb.. Wish I could have culled the 3.8 and 4.0 w a 5 plus.

I wish guys would stop using penetrating cull tags and picking up 5lb and over fish by them three had huge tears in their lower jaw. It clearly doesnt hurt the fish just like piercing a ear but internet keyboard warriors were quick to whine about my fingers poking thru the existing holes. Everyone is a critic.

[Linked Image]

Those holes make it easier to hold all five with two hands! roflmao

Good catch for that area. Hell...any area for that matter.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 04:23 PM

Nice bag. Ever hit the lakes in the sw corner of the state?
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 05:56 PM

Fish brains cannot interpret pain like higher mammals. I mean they know something is going on obviously but they cannot feel pain so to speak. Nice bag sir!

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 05/31/19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by rxkid2001

Sw? Like the ponds on 29?

Closest to me is Carter Lake Nebraska, then in Iowa Anita, Viking, Green Valley, 3 mile, 12 mile, Icaria.
Posted By: skins84

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/01/19 02:05 PM

I lived in Red Oak before moving to Lake Fork 25 yrs ago. I miss some of those SW Iowa lakes. Green Valley was know for having big fish, as well as Burchard in SE Nebraska. caught my first couple of fish over 7 lbs in those 2 lakes.

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/01/19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by skins84
I lived in Red Oak before moving to Lake Fork 25 yrs ago. I miss some of those SW Iowa lakes. Green Valley was know for having big fish, as well as Burchard in SE Nebraska. caught my first couple of fish over 7 lbs in those 2 lakes.

yeah after being in Texas a few months coming home to small mostly no wake lakes that have nobody on them or maybe 1-2 other guys max during the week is very enjoyable. Not to mention the usual 20 fish days.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/01/19 04:11 PM

How much weight did you have??

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/01/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ETX Hammer
Any advice for Brushy Creek? I’m up here in Fort Dodge for work.

Go to the wed? night weekly tourney weigh in at the ramp. They do a 3 bass pm tourney.

Brushy has some nice fish I fished a club event up there and caught a bunch of 4-5 lbers in a few spots but come tourney day couldnt find them.

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/01/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
How much weight did you have??

24 something My scale in the boat had it at 24.89 but I think the official one was 24.5 something I wasnt really paying that much attention and I ALWAYS act like I been there a million times before no matter what so I was just trying to help everyone else get their fish bagged and weighed etc.

36 or 38 after the second half day
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/05/19 12:40 PM

Isn't that a little dangerous lipping critters up in the great white North? Serious bag anywhere but especially Iowa and congrats on the successful execution.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/09/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Originally Posted by rxkid2001

Sw? Like the ponds on 29?

Closest to me is Carter Lake Nebraska, then in Iowa Anita, Viking, Green Valley, 3 mile, 12 mile, Icaria.

Icaria, green valley. My hometown is up there and a buddy lives near icaria.
Posted By: NRHmike

Re: Iowa bag of almost 25# - 06/09/19 12:34 PM

I may have to come to Iowa after all. My wife is from Sioux City and swam and skied on Lake Okoboji growing up in the 60's and 70's.She graduated from "The University of Okoboji"! Congratulations!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum