Texas Fishing Forum

Shaky head in grass question

Posted By: coachmatt

Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 12:41 AM

I was throwing a shaky head today around grass and kept getting hung up really bad. I use a stand up head that is kinda bulky. What would y’all recommend to help get through the grass a little easier?
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 12:54 AM

I have not found a shaky head hook that comes through grass good. To combat this I throw a Texas rig with a peg, small weight, and a floating worm. The floating worm is key as it stands up in grass same one would on a shaky head hook.

Berkley bottom hoppers are the floating worms I use. Zoom trick worms otherwise.

Interested to see others opinions.
Posted By: FX runner

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 01:40 AM

I would maybe try a wacky rig senko with nail weight
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 05:19 AM

Flooded grass is not the same as hydrilla and aquatic grass. Nothing comes through it good, but you could try drop shot. Thick hydrilla needs to be punched.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 01:17 PM

My little round head Davis shakyhead jighead does ok around grass but they are not really designed to work well like that.

You might try a worm weight or nail in the head with a straight shanked hook.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 01:27 PM

https://www.thereelshot.com/products/dirty-jigs-scott-canterbury-shakey-head?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-feed&utm_term=Home&utm_source=googleShopping+%28via+Shopping+Feed%29&msclkid=ea55bfaeb0b11a11455ee34fe9e9341f&utm_content=Dirty+Jigs+Tackle
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.
https://www.thereelshot.com/products/dirty-jigs-scott-canterbury-shakey-head?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-feed&utm_term=Home&utm_source=googleShopping+%28via+Shopping+Feed%29&msclkid=ea55bfaeb0b11a11455ee34fe9e9341f&utm_content=Dirty+Jigs+Tackle

Does this stand up well?
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/19/19 09:34 PM

Jesse Wiggins talks about his fave Shakey Head and getting through grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukUC-iUo5A4

BD
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/20/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin
I have not found a shaky head hook that comes through grass good. To combat this I throw a Texas rig with a peg, small weight, and a floating worm.

+1

Pegging is an efficient way to try different techniques when scouting new water.

As TajChauvin suggested, you can peg a Texas rig to make a modified shaky head. I will also peg a Texas rig to make an improvised shallow water Carolina rig... if I get a bit or two, I will commit to a legit Carolina... if I don't, I pull the peg and carry on with a Texas rig.

Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/20/19 03:44 PM

Shaky head for hard bottoms, Tex-rig for grass...
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/20/19 11:42 PM

What about a swim jig head instead of a shaky head. The Sixth Sense Divine swim jig is very pointed and should slip through the grass. Not exactly the same type of presentation but that be something to try out.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Shaky head in grass question - 05/21/19 04:19 PM

tungsten shakey heads are all I use

1/8 3/16 are the most common I use, size matters when trying to come thru anything in my opinion not to mention the extra feel you get as well as faster drop even with less weight, there are no CONS to tungsten shakey heads except the cost I suppose.

They are just a little over 1 dollar each.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum