Texas Fishing Forum

PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP

Posted By: ETXfisher91

PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 03:44 AM

Alright guys, I'm looking for the people that have been in boats a very long time... That has been in a ranger, Skeeter, bass cat, and nitro.... Right now I'm stuck on a Nitro Z20... I'm looking to spend 35,0000-40,000. Take into consideration I want graphs as in 360 up front and 12" side scan/maps at console and of course the ultrex
My question is, out of all the 19'6" - 20' boats. Which do you consider the best all around boat (riding rougher water, fishing open water, windy banks not getting pushed around, etc...) Right now I'm in a 2001 Nitro 896 (20'8" I think) and it performs very well IMO for what I need.
My son is 1 year old and it's time to upgrade to the boat I plan on having for the next decade maybe longer...

Thanks in advance!

Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 03:50 AM

You’re about to get responses that every manufacturer is best. There’s pros and cons to each one out there. Just buy what you like. I like Ranger and Basscat.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 04:04 AM

If your talking new you won’t get anywhere near that for the price. You have to realize you mentioned $10,000 in options.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 04:56 AM

You get what you pay for holds true in bass boats and many other things.

Which cost more, which is built with precision, will last longer and be more dependable years from now? How bout resale value?

Reels. Top end Shimano VS. The best Kast King
Rods. Top end Loomis VS. The best rod Academy makes
Boats. Ranger VS Countless others
Motors. Yamaha VS. Countless others
Weed Eatters Stihl VS. Black and decker

Quality cost more, plain and simple.
JMO.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
If your talking new you won’t get anywhere near that for the price. You have to realize you mentioned $10,000 in options.

Exactly, that price will likely only get you a Z18 the way you are describing. As to the 19-20 ft boats; for those conditions, weight will improve your ride. Find the one that sits like you like it and demo it. Preferably in a variety of conditions.

DB
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 04:58 AM

Which cost more, which is built with precision, will last longer and be more dependable years from now? Which has the best resale value?

Motors. Yamaha. VS. Countless others

Quality cost more, plain and simple!
JMO.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 10:17 AM

$35k to $40k is more than enough to get what you're looking for in a used boat. The best option will depend on what you find, but I like a skeeter.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by David Burton

Exactly, that price will likely only get you a Z18 the way you are describing. As to the 19-20 ft boats; for those conditions, weight will improve your ride. Find the one that sits like you like it and demo it. Preferably in a variety of conditions.

DB

Weight doesn't improve the ride. Allison and 21ft Bullets are 2 of the smoothest best riding boats built.
Posted By: 361V

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
Alright guys, I'm looking for the people that have been in boats a very long time... That has been in a ranger, Skeeter, bass cat, and nitro....(riding in 5ft swells)

Well, I had my Ranger 361v from 1992 until just a couple years ago.....until someone wiped that absolutely cherry boat out on the freeway and I’ve rode and fished out of many brands. Guess that meets your criteria to allow me to respond. None of them are good in “5ft swells”. NONE. Most people who think they know what 5’ waves are actually do not. They are all low profile bass boats. I am qualified to say that Ranger has as good a ride in rougher water as the brands mentioned. Part of why I went Ranger at the cost of several mph! laugh I’m talking about the ride when running on plane with a little speed in 2’ waves. And as stable a fishing platform in rougher water as any I have been in. Skeeter was a close 2nd when I was in your position just a couple years ago. Your price range opens up unlimited choices in a barely used 20’ bass boat. I know, too many choices! Good luck with your choice.
Posted By: saibling

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 12:11 PM

with your price range and desired options, not possible unless your thinking aluminum .

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 12:44 PM

Not talking new
Posted By: Chris B

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 12:58 PM

The Ranger, Skeeter and Basscat will all last you a long time if taken care of. I'd try to go fishing in each and see which one suits you best. I've been in the same ZX225 for 13 years now and still love my boat.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:03 PM

Phoenix thumb
Posted By: WAWI

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger 188

Which cost more, which is built with precision, will last longer and be more dependable years from now? Which has the best resale value?

Motors. Yamaha. VS. Countless others

Quality cost more, plain and simple!
JMO.

I believe you meant to say Mercury, your spell check changed in to Yamaha. We know what you meant however.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:12 PM

In that price range find a good 20 foot Champion. Equip it with your electronic options and you will be happy.

For big water and the way you described your fishing requirements you either need a 20 foot Champion or 21 foot of something else.

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
In that price range find a good 20 foot Champion. Equip it with your electronic options and you will be happy.

For big water and the way you described your fishing requirements you either need a 20 foot Champion or 21 foot of something else.

I know champions are great boats, but every one that I ever came across has a skinny front deck.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:21 PM

Mike might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction. Doesn't cost a thing to ask.

http://classicboatloans.com/

As for brand...? As someone said you get what you pay for. A lot of it depends on how someone takes care of their boat. I've seen 3 year old Rangers trashed sitting next to a 10 year old well cared for Nitro that I would have thought was the newer boat.

Also, I know it's more than you mentioned but gives you an idea of what you can get and for how much.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum.../2016-basscat-cougar-ftd-for-sale#UNREAD

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find you a really nice used boat in that price range.
My advice would be to look for the boat and motor first, then worry about adding the extra's afterwards. Sometimes a boat that is clean, taken care of, and a motor that has been regularly serviced with low hours and includes all the equipment we want is harder to find than a unicorn. Also, really check the trailer, if it's an older model with a tube trailer, you might be replacing it in the near future.

Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ETXfisher91
Originally Posted by Allison1

I know champions are great boats, but every one that I ever came across has a skinny front deck.

Depends on the model, there are narrow beam champions up to newer wide beam champions. The narrow ones rode better IMO. Champion had a model for every occasion. Awesome brand. Just check the transom.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 06:37 PM

My personal opinion is Ranger has the most stable platform. I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of speed though. Look at the Phoenix or Triton if you want to go faster. Bullets or Allison if you want a lot of speed.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 07:51 PM

Dude, they're all good now. And in your price range you're going to get one that's only a few years old so there's even less to worry about. Just get one you think looks cool with the motor you like and roll with it because in the end, all that matters is that You are happy with it. If you decide you don't like it after a few months or a year you'll probably be able to sell it for the exact price you bought it for and get another one. Fiberglass bass boats hold their value very well these days.

Maybe stay away from brands that are out of business.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/18/19 08:24 PM

There are numerous good boats out there, the engine is the main thing you need to look at, you can get any engine you want just make sure it is black. grin

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/19/19 12:50 AM

Appreciate it guys!!
Posted By: FishFAN

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/22/19 11:38 PM

If you are leaving off the Triton, you are making a mistake. I've had two Rangers, two Skeeters. I fish a Triton, as do many pros.
Posted By: Jawz

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 03:05 AM

My advice is getting a nice used boat. Preferably one with no stress cracks in the hull and a newer outboard. Look for a deal. They're out there. Be patient. Do some research and figure out what brand you like based off what's important to you in a boat. I once owned an 85 ranger 371v. Customized it to how I wanted it. I fished out of it for years and loved it. It helped me determine what I want and don't want in a boat. I ended up selling it and buying a ranger z520c. Remember the boat doesn't catch the fish for you...you just look better doing it 😀. Good luck
Posted By: SC-001

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 03:10 AM

They really are all good now, if you like Nitro I would stick with that.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 03:08 PM

Don’t buy a boat that is not manufactured anymore .
Posted By: R.G.

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 05:05 PM

In the price range you mentioned you should be able to find a newer used boat with low hours. As far as brand I have owned brands no longer made along with 2 Rangers, a triton, and a now Skeeter in the lengths you asked about. Honestly I have liked each one. each one does have some minor differences but not enough to say one brand is Hands down better than the other. So my advice is to look for newer used boats in your price range that have the bells and whistles you mentioned and get the best deal you can. Patience is key.
Posted By: HDVS

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 05:05 PM

Don't let anyone talk you out of a newer Nitro without looking and riding in one. I have owned 15 boats including 9 Rangers. Ranger makes a great boat but after having a 16 Nitro Z20 for 2 yrs and now a Z21 I won't even look at another brand. I use them hard and have had zero issues with either. Not 1 stress crack or anything. All around fishing and performance wise I don't think any thing is any better and you can get alot more of the options for the money than with other brands. Do they resale for as much? No bc they cost less to start with. I got $2500 more out of my Z20 than I paid for it after using it for 2 yrs. I have never been a big boat guy but the 21 has an amazing ride and is fast also. I won't ever go back to smaller boat after having this one.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/23/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by FishFan
If you are leaving off the Triton, you are making a mistake. I've had two Rangers, two Skeeters. I fish a Triton, as do many pros.

I'd have to agree with this. I think Triton is one of the best bang for your bucks. you can find a nicely equipped triton for 10-20% less than a comparable skeeter/ranger/basscat/phoenix.

With that said, my top two brands for ride/fishability are Triton and Phoenix. I'd put ranger on here too but I just can afford one lol.

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 01:06 AM

All great advice!!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Originally Posted by FishFan

I'd have to agree with this. I think Triton is one of the best bang for your bucks. you can find a nicely equipped triton for 10-20% less than a comparable skeeter/ranger/basscat/phoenix.

With that said, my top two brands for ride/fishability are Triton and Phoenix. I'd put ranger on here too but I just can afford one lol.

Agree on the Triton but disagree on the pricing, they hold value just as good as the ones mentioned.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 02:32 PM

They all ride pretty good these days. And they all do something a little better then the other. New with those options your prolly gonna be dropping down to 18 ft models to stay under 40. If you want a 20 ft boat your gonna be in the used market starting around 2 y/o boats.

Like anything else buying less then what you want does not make sense to me, cause you will get what you want eventually. Don't buy 2 boats to finally get what you want.

and a 896 is only 19' 6"

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 02:37 PM

Yeah no I'm not expecting to buy a brand new boat. This was in reference to a "newer" boat as in a 2014-2016
Posted By: B-rader

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 06:44 PM

Wait, Rangers ride good in rough water ?
Posted By: LuvWater

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 08:20 PM

Triton, but I like them all.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: PROFESSIONAL BOAT HELP - 05/24/19 08:21 PM

Phoenix, Triton, skeeter, a champ 210. Those would be on my list if I was looking in that price range. Nitros arent bad but there are better riding boats. That's said, if you prop it right it's more than acceptable as far as ride. The biggest factor will be the motor, get it checked out by a good dealer. Take a good test ride, make sure everything works and pick the one you like. If you pick something we tell you to like then it will always be in the back of your head
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum