Texas Fishing Forum

NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday

Posted By: Bass Champs Staff

NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 05:29 PM

Due to the predicted severe weather outbreak for Saturday’s forecast, we have postponed the Tawakoni event until Sunday. Registration will now be on Saturday evening from 6-8pm at Sky Point RV park and tournament morning beginning at 5am.

This event will be a trailering event Sunday. All fishing times and boat ID numbers will be distributed during official registration.

$20,000 Guaranteed for 1st place.

The Fun-n-Sun Bass Champs and Ribeyes cookout scheduled for Friday evening has been cancelled.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 05:58 PM

This puts us out of fishing this one. Flight leaves early Sunday morning so no way to reschedule for us. Gonna take a big bag to win this one from what I saw in practice. You guys be safe and catch 'em.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 06:21 PM

Good call. Saturday looks nasty.
Posted By: petro

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 06:36 PM

This will be another “we should have just fished saturday” like all the other times. Adios!
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 06:53 PM

bang bang

What will happen if Sunday morning it's still bad weather like the meteorologist in East Texas(Tyler) is calling for? Wished when they cancel, they would reschedule on another Saturday....
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 07:42 PM

all they can do is make the best judgement call based on the info available.
That's a tough job, tough call to make - glad its not mine, there's no easy answer either way and no matter what someone is not going to like it.
We'll be there sunday.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Gonna take a big bag to win this one from what I saw in practice.

Mark, your practice must have been VERY different from ours! lol
cheers

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 07:47 PM

Exactly! Since when does possible weather days out cause rescheduling anyway. This [censored] is a joke! Im out for good. Has to be a non-panty circuit too fish
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 07:57 PM

Still off limits Saturday?
Posted By: Jeff Welch

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:05 PM

Yes Lake Tawakoni Is Off Limits Saturday
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by petro
Exactly! Since when does possible weather days out cause rescheduling anyway. This [censored] is a joke! Im out for good. Has to be a non-panty circuit too fish

You're going to have a tough time finding a trail to fish. TTT, TTZ, TTO and Champs have all had to shuffle schedules now due to weather.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:29 PM

The problem with not changing the day and then someone getting hurt or losing a boat or even worse then everyone on here would be bashing Bass Champs... As a tournament director I would hate to have to go tell a family sorry fishing was important than safety..
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:46 PM

I just wish they let u pre fish day b4 like TXTT.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RMOROTT21
I just wish they let u pre fish day b4 like TXTT.

I don't.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca
The problem with not changing the day and then someone getting hurt or losing a boat or even worse then everyone on here would be bashing Bass Champs... As a tournament director I would hate to have to go tell a family sorry fishing was important than safety..

Hope you didn't take my comment as bashing, but with it the possibility for weather on Sunday morning as well the chances of someone getting hurt still exist. That's why I suggest if they are going to cancel any tournament for the safety of the angler, which I agree is important, move it to another Saturday(even further out in the year if they have to) JUNE, JULY , even AUGUST
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TxFisherman03

Hope you didn't take my comment as bashing, but with it the possibility for weather on Sunday morning as well the chances of someone getting hurt still exist. That's why I suggest if they are going to cancel any tournament for the safety of the angler, which I agree is important, move it to another Saturday(even further out in the year if they have to) JUNE, JULY , even AUGUST

I did not.take it as bashing. The weather is more wrong in Texas than right.. I had to move a tournament because Cypress Springs was closed. I like to get the day's the same. So if we are fishing on a Saturday the I like to move it to another Saturday. There are no easy answer being a tournament director..
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by TxFisherman03

I did not.take it as bashing. The weather is more wrong in Texas than right.. I had to move a tournament because Cypress Springs was closed. I like to get the day's the same. So if we are fishing on a Saturday the I like to move it to another Saturday. There are no easy answer being a tournament director..

Agreed. There's always someone who is going to call you a pansy for cancelling or moving a tournament but those running the show are the ones taking responsibility by sending people out on the water in what can be hazardous conditions. It is a VERY unenviable position to be in. Kudos to Champs for making the call.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 09:30 PM

Based on the reports of the weather expected, I imagine the tournament trail has to put safety first. How in the world would you explain losing a team of boaters to lightning strike or excessive waves that were forecasted for that day? I don't ever see a scenario where safety is trumped by convenience.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 10:16 PM

...boaters and staff, along with expensive equipment used to host the event. great call. cuss mother nature... she's mad at the world right now. I would love to fish it, but DQ'd myself by going out crappie fishing on Monday. Had fun. the bass fishing sucked.
Posted By: buda13

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 10:52 PM

This is the post Nick Kayler tragedy world of tournament fishing. Before that happened it was extremely rare to see a tournament cancel or reschedule. It’s not such a bad thing, we as tournament fishermen are for the most part pretty damn ignorant at times when a little money is on the line. This weather pattern is just super unpredictable, if it happens it will be some nasty super cells not a little rainstorm for a few hours. While you an I may watch radar and protect ourselves there’s 20+ other boats that won’t pay any attention until its happening right on top of them. Hats off to Basschamps , you can’t make everyone happy but you can darn sure be certain they don’t get caught in a severe weather situation on your watch. One more reason to add on the list of why champs is the best trail going!!
Posted By: emorydog

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 10:53 PM

This [censored] is a joke! Im out for good. Has to be a non-panty circuit too fish

You probably won’t be missed, more hotdogs for me.

There are literally hundreds of tournament trails in the DFW area out there offering similar payout and level of competition. Maybe sign up for Anglers Choice, Lone Star Series, or CABA.

If those don’t work for you...just Google “tough guy fishing trail that caters to everyone’s needs, and never changes, especially designed for guys who can’t adjust their own personal schedule without getting triggered”. Haha
Posted By: buda13

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 11:12 PM

Actually he will be missed. Petro is as good of a guy as you will ever find.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 11:39 PM

Anyway to get away from trailering?

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/16/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by buda13

Mike is my partner and one hell of a good guy. Last year he drove up for each North event and the year before I drove East for all of them that year. We chose to split the East and North divisions this year since he lives in Houston and me up here. This is the 5th event we have tried to fish this year and 4 of them have been either rescheduled, delayed a day or only fished half a day. We both like many drive a lot of miles to practice, fish etc plus the time and money spent. Just sucks a bit knowing this pretty well will knock us out of the Championship this year Like many others we both have moved vacation days etc to make the events. That's fine, it is what it is. No one is mad at Chad or Jeff or making it personal. They can't control the weather but at the same time a little frustration is not a bad thing and is to be expected when people are invested in a season like some of us are.. Both of us are Bass Champs supporters as you can tell by the willingness to drive to other divisions and think a lot of the guys running it. This sucks for all involved. No sympathy needed or being asked here for but at the same time some honest frustration and disappointment is not the end of the world either. No one is triggered here. Just disappointed over the time and effort we put into it. Probably several in our shoes. It happens.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 01:35 AM

[censored] happens, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Those guys made a business decision, I am really sure they would of rather had the event on Saturday.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 02:09 AM

yep - super guy.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 02:32 AM

This will be another “we should have just fished saturday” like all the other times. Adios!

You can go be a hero on saturday like this poor soul

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Mike is my partner and one hell of a good guy. Last year he drove up for each North event and the year before I drove East for all of them that year. We chose to split the East and North divisions this year since he lives in Houston and me up here. This is the 5th event we have tried to fish this year and 4 of them have been either rescheduled, delayed a day or only fished half a day. We both like many drive a lot of miles to practice, fish etc plus the time and money spent. Just sucks a bit knowing this pretty well will knock us out of the Championship this year Like many others we both have moved vacation days etc to make the events. That's fine, it is what it is. No one is mad at Chad or Jeff or making it personal. They can't control the weather but at the same time a little frustration is not a bad thing and is to be expected when people are invested in a season like some of us are.. Both of us are Bass Champs supporters as you can tell by the willingness to drive to other divisions and think a lot of the guys running it. This sucks for all involved. No sympathy needed or being asked here for but at the same time some honest frustration and disappointment is not the end of the world either. No one is triggered here. Just disappointed over the time and effort we put into it. Probably several in our shoes. It happens.

This sums it up very well.. It's frustration, and I'm sure not everybody is mad at Champs for postponing for safety reasons. But wished they would consider there may be a reason some anglers choose to fish their trail. My reason is because it is on Saturdays. I feel bad for those that might have reservations somewhere to stay on Friday night and can't get it Saturday night, or for those that paid to fish Sunday at Fork in the Legends tournament, but just lose out that money because they want to fish the championship w/ Champs.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Andy W

They are, next year by removing Tawakoni from the North division in favor of Texoma. With the move to Sky and the closure of Holiday it is extremely difficult to herd the number of boats and find parking for them on Twok.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton

They are, next year by removing Tawakoni from the North division in favor of Texoma. With the move to Sky and the closure of Holiday it is extremely difficult to herd the number of boats and find parking for them on Twok.

What is wrong with the state park?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 08:59 PM

championship will be at tawkoni next year roflmao
Posted By: ZX 250

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 09:01 PM

Will be there ! Thanks champs for making the call !!

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Originally Posted by David Burton

What is wrong with the state park?

Opens at 0700....plus the lady that used to run it(might still be there) was not tournament friendly.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/17/19 09:59 PM

Bass Champs does what is best for all. Not a few. I like the way they handle it. They make the decision. Post it on TFF. And do not get involved with the posters. Based on Champs history, they will be just fine.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 06:36 PM

Looks like they made the right call. This spring has been nuts for all of us in North Texas.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 08:02 PM

And there's a tornado passing by Tawakoni. Yeah I wouldn't want to be out there right now.[Linked Image]

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 08:18 PM

My yard and trees look like a tornado went through it, sure would not have wanted any part of being on the water in that.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 08:40 PM

It got pretty sporty at store in Keller. Good call on champs part

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 08:40 PM

Hasnt rained a drop at fork its 3:38pm.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 08:53 PM

Mike, we all know you’re some type of fishing badass, let it go bro. Had the storm been 1 or 2 hours sooner it would’ve been terrible with anglers on the water. If you don’t like it start a fishing trail so maybe your fan club can fish with you

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Clark3

Mike, we all know you’re some type of fishing badass, let it go bro. Had the storm been 1 or 2 hours sooner it would’ve been terrible with anglers on the water. If you don’t like it start a fishing trail so maybe your fan club can fish with you

Lmao! Dont be mad cuz I was right. Glad you didnt melt out there today.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/18/19 09:39 PM

They also make the call based on anglers having to travel in dangerous conditions. Petro, your argument makes no sense unless all the anglers live at the lake and would be safely home before the storms hit.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/19/19 02:38 AM

The tournament was at Tawakoni , not Fork. So I guess I dont understand the comment.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/19/19 03:29 AM

They coulda got it in today roflmao damned if you do damned if you don't

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/19/19 03:42 AM

I think I seen where there was a tornado near Tawakoni today, Champs made the right call no mater if the the storm hit there or not, no sense in risking peoples lives over a few thousand dollars.
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/19/19 02:11 PM

I believe some tournament fisherman are becoming so whiny,if they don't like a decision they just want to pack up their rods and not fish anymore,put youeself in the TD's shoes,he's making decisions for sometimes in excess of 500 people not just a handful.Just like at work anyone is replaceable and not missed,just in our own mind.Mi Dos Centavos!

Re: NOTICE: Tawakoni event moved to Sunday - 05/19/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
They coulda got it in today roflmao damned if you do damned if you don't

Yep! Its all good. I caught the heck out of them saturday and had a blast. Glad everyone stayed off the lake,more fish for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum