Texas Fishing Forum

troll tamer on an ultrex

Posted By: goodman1389

troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/11/19 04:59 PM

Is a troll tamer worth the extra money or does the provided stabilizer bar work just as well? Anyone ever had a motor damaged from not having the troll tamer?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/11/19 05:11 PM

Best $100 you can spend (IMO)

What tears up the mount for the Ultrex and Fortrex is trailering and running down the lake. I have ran a troll tamer for about 6 years and have not had the issues I used to have with MInn Kota mounts and bushings going bad.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/11/19 07:33 PM

Troll Tamers are one of the best things you can add to a trolling motor, it secures it rock solid to the boat. The constant jarring from waves and potholes can really affect it. The stabilizer arm that comes with them is junk. I wish the guys that put my Ultrex on would have put one on and also installed the strap too. Then again I’m seeing many things to this day they did wrong on my installs.

I may just quit complaining and take my boat to the best Basscat dealer and have them fix all the issues I’m finding.

Sorry to side track the post but yes the Troll Tamer is a great buy to have for the Ultrex...
Posted By: MurraynTx

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 07:35 AM

Wouldn't have one without it!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 05:51 PM

Never heard of it!
Posted By: 361V

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
Troll Tamers are one of the best things you can add to a trolling motor, it secures it rock solid to the boat. The constant jarring from waves and potholes can really affect it. The stabilizer arm that comes with them is junk. I wish the guys that put my Ultrex on would have put one on and also installed the strap too. Then again I’m seeing many things to this day they did wrong on my installs.

I may just quit complaining and take my boat to the best Basscat dealer and have them fix all the issues I’m finding.

Sorry to side track the post but yes the Troll Tamer is a great buy to have for the Ultrex...
They didn’t install your hold down strap?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 07:54 PM

The troll tamer is nice but I run the stock bounce buster and dont have issues. If its rough or while trailering I use the strap. I set the bounce buster so it's pretty tight so it takes a pretty good hit to move the motor
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 08:09 PM

Ultrex comes with its own kickstand and it works great. The motor locks in the stowed position if the stand is the correct length.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/12/19 11:01 PM

Mine even when locked still bounces some in rough water. I need to look into the troll tamer I guess, also had anyone experienced issues with the lift assist I’m pretty sure mine has never worked because from day one it will just flop down really hard if u don’t ease it down. I checked to make sure it was installed correctly and it seems to be fine. Maybe I should just swap it with the one on my old fortrex
Posted By: the skipper

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 12:11 AM

The lift assist doesnt work as good as it used to. Probably just the extra weight of the ultrex
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

Nope, as a matter of fact, they just wrapped it around the trolling motor. The first time I used it, it fell in the lake. I called Minn Kota and they replaced it for free.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 01:02 AM

I took the strap off my boat. I dont use it and didnt like looking at it.

Ive had a lot of air under my prop going across big bodies of water with no issues of my ultrex bouncing around.
Posted By: 361V

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

Nope, as a matter of fact, they just wrapped it around the trolling motor. The first time I used it, it fell in the lake. I called Minn Kota and they replaced it for free.
Just loosen up the 4 large bolts securing mount to boat and slip strap under mount. Put it exactly where you want and tighten bolts securely. That’s all that holds it in place(you probably know this already).
Posted By: fivebites

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 12:20 PM

Is the troll tamer the one that Kevin Van Dam had on his boat when he did that walk through in his garage a few months back. Whatever he was using looked like it installed into the deck of his boat and "locked" in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 05/13/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Is the troll tamer the one that Kevin Van Dam had on his boat when he did that walk through in his garage a few months back. Whatever he was using looked like it installed into the deck of his boat and "locked" in.

Yes.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/06/19 07:31 PM

What is the part # for an ultrex or do you have to buy one and modify it ? I have an 07 legend 21 le
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/06/19 11:49 PM

TH marine has all different sizes of troll tamer. Need longer shaft for Ultrex. Best thing for trolling motor.

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 12:09 AM

Wasted money. The bushings that could possibly wear out are so inexpensive, that you could change them out every 6 months and still come out cheaper over the life of the TM.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Wasted money. The bushings that could possibly wear out are so inexpensive, that you could change them out every 6 months and still come out cheaper over the life of the TM.

Get yourself one.....bushings not the only issue here. Too many high priced electronic components taking unnecessary beating in rough waters.

I have had one since they were first out and have used on a Maxxum, a Fortrex and now my Ultrex. I have never had to replace bushings or had any problems with any of the motors!

Just Sayin.....
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 02:25 AM

I think it is a good product but I have never had an issue with bushings or my trolling motor, and I have put them through hell.
Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 02:30 AM

Do they make one specifically for an ultrex
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
I think it is a good product but I have never had an issue with bushings or my trolling motor, and I have put them through hell.

A few months ago I had my first experience with bushing failure and it was on an Ultrex. I don't know if a tamer would've prevented it though. I hope yours remains trouble free.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 03:00 AM

I have used a version of the bounce buster or what ever since I can remember. I was even making a kick stand for the trolling motor back in the 80's so it wouldn't crack the aluminum bow plate on the old boat I had then. I think they are awesome. The boat I have now had very slight spider cracks around the back trolling motor mounting bolts when I bought it. A set of Fender washers and a bounce buster and 10 years later.... no issues. I don't run a strap but I set it up to where the catch pins hold it tight. I even have to apply slight pressure to the motor head to get it to release. Just my .02... But i run a transom saver too. Been told I didn't need it.. well I'm a boat owner of over 35 years and never had a Issue with either. I will call in Insurance.. LOL
Posted By: P_102

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 12:09 PM

Save a few bucks by going with a ram mount with the hose clamp head......

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/07/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
Do they make one specifically for an ultrex

If I’m not mistaken, the basic Fortrex mount and Ultrex mount are the same....so it should work in either.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/09/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by P_102
Save a few bucks by going with a ram mount with the hose clamp head......

Yep, I use the claw,,,works great

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilot...t3NbC5AIVa_7jBx2iAQX8EAQYAyABEgK0Y_D_BwE
Posted By: BMCD

Re: troll tamer on an ultrex - 09/09/19 12:50 PM

I use it cause it does not wear a hole in the carpet. They do not make one specific for the ultrex. Every boat is different and u have to measure to get the right length. The shafts are adjustable.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum