Texas Fishing Forum

Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing

Posted By: Phototex

Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 05:58 PM

I just read a post from Steez that mentioned catching all sorts of other things while fishing for bass. Other than hooking another fisherman (or yourself), what are some of the weird things you've caught while bass fishing? Here are a few of mine:
- a Nutria that slapped my Zara Spook and hooked its forepaw
- a 4-pound rainbow trout on a 7" live waterdog
- an owl one night on a black Jitterbug
- a 47-pound carp
-a 45-pound gasper gou
-a small alligator
Let's see some of your weird catches.

Posted By: beartrap

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 06:47 PM

In 60 plus years of fishing I've hooked a variety of creatures besides fish....owls,snakes,turtles,small alligators and..... a coon....
True story and I've got a witness to prove it....back in mid 90's my no boater and I were practicing day before a BFL tourney on Millers Ferry (south Alabama)...we were in the backwaters off the main river, fishing some flooded grass with spinnerbaits....I had rolled the hook down on mine so I wouldn't hook any fish that I might want to come back and fish for in the tourney...looked up ahead of us and there was this half grown coon wading around in the shallow grass,I assume he was looking for crawfish...
coon wasn't paying any attention to us and I threw my spinnerbait probably 8-10 from him to see what his reaction would be...I thought he would probably run off but the opposite happened and he made a mad dash over trying to grab the bait...I jerked it away from him and shouldn't have thrown near him again but I did....the spinnerbait landed a little too close and he pounced on it quicker than I could jerk it away...
give anything if I could have had a video of what happened next....this coon has got my spinnerbait in his mouth and is backing up with all four feet and I'm pulling back as hard as I can with 20lb line...this coon is stripping drag and going backwards for 10-12 ft and apparently he bit through the line..when the line broke,he stopped, took the spinnerbait out of his mouth and held it with both paws and started eating the skirt and worm trailer just like he was eating an ear of corn...he ate the worm first them would take bites of the skirt and when he try to pull the strands of rubber off they would break and slap him in the face,he'd shake his head and take another bite...took him a couple minutes to finish then he sniffed the bait couple times,threw it down and ambled off down the bank...never did pay any attention to us...tried to go get what was left of my spinnerbait but it was too shallow and boggy to get close enough to retrieve it...
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 06:53 PM

I was at fork and hooked a bowfin. I reached down to lip it and my pal recommended against it for obvious reasons. Not real weird but I had never seen one before.
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 07:10 PM

Oh hell I have a doozy lol-

My dad hooked a muskrat by the foot once while trout fishing in Colorado. We pulled it in and a stranger helped us restrain it by using a landing net and stepping on it with his heavy boot.

Now, I don't know if my dad had seen too many Disney movies recently or what, but instead reaching behind it and just unhooking it, he starts talking to it, apologizing to it. He reached down to pet it on the head or something (not sure what he was thinking) and IT BIT THE LIVING S*** OUT OF HIM!

Hold up your right hand, see that chunk of meat between the bottom of your pinkie and your wrist on the right side of your palm? Yeah, that dang muskrat just nearly, within a few centimeters of flesh, tore that off. There was a hospital visit, lots of stitches, antibiotics, and a doctor who said quote...

"Ya know I checked the medical records of Colorado and you are the first person in history to get bit by a muskrat"

Then there was a lot of laughing and a even madder father.

PS. Also in that trip he nearly rolled a jeep down a mountain and hooked my brother in the neck. Those of you who know my posts and history can likely see where i get it from now, damn heredity.

Posted By: DJB

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 08:44 PM

Yall should have chopped it up and threw it in the lake. Sorry couldn't resist.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DJB
Yall should have chopped it up and threw it in the lake. Sorry couldn't resist.

roflmao
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 09:47 PM

I was plugging the banks at Inks many years ago. Got a fish on and immediately a raptor of some kind dove on the bass from a tree top near the bank and engaged it in his talons and was flying off with my bass ! When tension formed on the line he let him go. I didn’t catch that bird but had him on for a bit !
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 09:58 PM

I’ve caught underwear, panties, a keystone light can, rod and reels, socks, and I’ve even caught the same Dr Pepper can twice and cast nets are just a few things I can remember
Posted By: 361V

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 10:11 PM

I have a had a few water moccasins and a couple bull frogs jump on a plastic worm like a duck on a junebug! Landed them all. 30lb carp on a rattletrap. Weirdest? Large freshwater clam with my Little George tail spinner completely inside the closed clam. Explain that one.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 10:24 PM

Last year caught the same huge bullfrog on a frog in the same exact spot a week apart... I was telling my partner about the week before and caught him again on that cast..
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lil joe
I’ve caught underwear, panties, a keystone light can, rod and reels, socks, and I’ve even caught the same Dr Pepper can twice and cast nets are just a few things I can remember

Lake Arlington?
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx

Lake Arlington?

No Conroe
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 11:27 PM

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/05/19 11:41 PM

I’ve caught underwear, panties, lawn chairs, shoes, 12in worms that were blown up to like 2 foot long, and a rod with a fish on the other end lol YES IT WAS LAKE ARLINGTON! popcorn
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 12:07 AM

crabs
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
crabs

Blame that one on the fishing partner?
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 01:37 AM

Recently I set the hook on a giant softshell turtle.....I mean 20-25 lbs.....freaked me out because I couldn't get my hook out of his mouth.....he was fighting like crazy.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 01:52 AM

[Linked Image]
Totally legit here I’m fishing a rocky point and I could tell that my squarebill was not running right and thought I had a small one bite but nope it was a Rage craw that bit!!!
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 02:00 AM

Oh yeah....almost forgot about this dude..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 02:35 AM

caught an open umbrella on Joe Pool once. I honestly thought it was a fish for about 30 seconds.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 02:39 AM

2 gators, a porcupine and a feral hog. The gators bit a frog. The porcupine was on a cliff above me on Amistad. Just flipped craw up at him and it crossed over him. When it ran it was snagged for a coupe seconds. The hog I’d have never believed if I hadn’t done it myself. It was on a tiny island on Choke Canyon. It walked towards the boat and just stood there. I threw a lake fork craw at it and it landed right in front of him. He immediately grabbed it and all heck broke loose. My buddy and I figured people must have fed him.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 02:50 AM

I caught a goose on a fluke. Well, I didn't catch it, but I was hooked up for about 8 seconds. It took off flying and stripped drag for a few seconds until the line snapped.

My only experience with inverted fishing. nuts
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:21 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rude dawg

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:47 AM

I caught a 3 lb bull frog on a plastic frog fishin for bass, REALLY WIELD, I HAVE IN ON VIDEO TO PROVE IT, Its two legs were a meal for one !! I did not even know frogs ate frogs !!
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by collincountytx

Lake Arlington?

No Conroe

i can believe that one on that lake.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 11:35 AM

Lake Arlington - and no this wasn't staged, a kid snagged this fishing from the bank.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Lake Arlington - and no this wasn't staged, a kid snagged this fishing from the bank.
[Linked Image]

ding ding ding ... ladies and gents, we have a winner!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 12:16 PM

I've caught some odd ball stuff, but you guys have me thoroughly beat here. I cannot one up the hog or the dong.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 01:22 PM

I hung a water turkey with a deep diving crank bait
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 02:54 PM

Caught my aunt's dog once. I was fishing a buzzbait in their pond and that dog was determined to catch it. He would swim out after it and chase it back in. I did everything to keep it away from him but he finally caught up to it.

Before he got himself caught, I snagged a small bass. I'll never forget the look of confusion on that dogs face when that bait disappeared. Then he was mad as hell because that fish had it.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:04 PM

Buddy hooked a "monster". Turned out to be a dead goat.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:18 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

was fishing falcon several years ago and the water was dropping...happened to spot what looked like a crankbait hung in top of bush just off the bank.....went over there and it was a small piece of net with four fairly new crankbaits,two older worms and a jig that been hung and broken off in that piece of net which wasn't much bigger than a dinner plate....
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:22 PM

Lake worth, dead body
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 03:27 PM

[Linked Image]

it is a little short..
Posted By: LStewartPlano

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 07:04 PM

Purposefully hooked a small gator on Kissimmee- guide wasn't too happy- said "that's a $5 jig"- I told him it was worth it. Stuck a nutria with a stick bait on Lake Fork - again on purpose- those slow fishing days . The nutria unhooked himself and I got the stick bait back. When I first started fishing- I snagged a ball of fine that must have had 20 jigs (sand bass jigs in it ) , felt like I had hit the jackpot. Cleaned them up and repainted some, replaced hooks and I still have some to this day.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/06/19 07:25 PM

Lawn chair. Had a huge spider hanging onto the side of a dock attack my popper as I was popping along the dock. I didn't even know it was there till it tried to snack my bait. Im not super afraid spider's or anything but it was creepy and big. Definitely startled me.
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/07/19 04:08 PM

Caught something very interesting on Hubbard few weeks back. We were fishing some rocks and right near it was an area under a bridge where couples could get to. Anyways I ended up pulling in a condom. Cut the line and dropped it right back where it came from. And thats that.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/07/19 05:57 PM

a 5-7lb turtle on a Bayou Boogie -- i was about 16 at the time and that turtle was pissed . My uncle , grandfather and I fishing the Red River in Minnesota for catfish ( out of a 12 foot aluminum ) . We were putting our catch in a fish basket ( this was a night ) . My uncle goes to put another catfish in the basket to find a huge snapping turtle ripping open the basket and eating a cat -- he grabs a small axe that we used to help navigate the river --- slams it into the back of the turtle , and the turtle swims off with the axe in it's back . . My grandfather was pissed because he loved turtle soup.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 12:48 AM

My son caught a snapping turtle fishing Pecan Creek a few years ago , One grumpy turtle . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 01:01 AM

This will be the craziest one on here..

Made a same drift through an area I was fishing earlier in the morning and hooked into a dip pouch I spit out. Couldn't believe it.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 01:23 AM

Going to make a long cast and I reared back and gave it all I had only to plant that Hula Popper in the top of my wife's left hand. Luckily the hooks were dull and drag was loose so not too much damage. We're still married.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
crabs

They got medicine for that...
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 01:51 AM

A Mexican Cannibal Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka...

[Linked Image]

It's a frog eating a frog...
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lowew79

It's a frog eating a frog...

Kinky
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Strangest Catches While Bass Fishing - 05/08/19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
[Linked Image]

ding ding ding ... ladies and gents, we have a winner!

Or is it the loser? bolt
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum