Texas Fishing Forum

Braid to flouro

Posted By: 9094

Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 03:46 PM

I have always used straight braid or straight flouro. Considering to move to braid to flouro leader.
I didnt want to highjack the other thread.

One which knots do you guys use to tie the leader to the braid? I was told by Tommy Martin to tie the double uni. Is that a good strong knot?
Do you have any problem in very heavy cover?
If I use 65lb braid and a 25lb lb louro leader will it handle handle cover like flipping button willows or heavy grass?

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 03:51 PM

I would use mono.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:15 PM

Improved/crazy Alberto--quicker and easier for me to tie than the double uni.
Posted By: Sgrem

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:17 PM

50# Braid for heavy cover
Crazy Alberto knot
25-30# mono for heavy cover
Canoe man loop knot
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx
Improved/crazy Alberto--quicker and easier for me to tie than the double uni.

This!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:42 PM

Thinnest, strongest, FG knot.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:51 PM

I've been using the double uni for 20lb braid to 8-10lb fluoro on spinning rods. It passes through the guides well and hasn't failed on a fish on me yet. I haven't used it in the manner you're describing though.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 04:53 PM

Barrel swivel
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 05:01 PM

Crazy Alberto knot
Posted By: Blackhill

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 05:16 PM

Tied my first Alberto last wk. Worked great, and fairly easy to learn.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 05:25 PM

Braid to flouro/mono is all I use. Alberto is a good easy knot to tie. I use a dab of knotsense just for a little extra protection of the knot. Every one of my reels is spooled with 50lb maxcuatro with the exception of my jerkbait and crankbait setups. 20lb maxcuatro for those.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:14 PM

I use the Alberto knot. Never heard of the crazy alberto so I'm gonna have to look that one up
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:21 PM

Regular Alberto. It’s stronger than the other knots in the chain. I’ve very, very seldom broken at the Alberto. Usually it’s at or just above the hook knot.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:29 PM

Alberto for me.. easy to tie and really strong.

BD
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldChamp
Crazy Alberto knot

this
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:51 PM

FG Knot
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chet
Thinnest, strongest, FG knot.

Good knot but next to impossible to tie on the deck of a boat or in wind. Great if your sitting at your kitchen table.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 09:36 PM

For line sizes that big FG knot without question. I have no problem tying the FG knot on a boat. Takes a little practice, but it's not a difficult knot.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bissett
I use the Alberto knot. Never heard of the crazy alberto so I'm gonna have to look that one up

It's like the Alberto, you just have to go on a 3 day tequila binge and not shave, then when you tie it it will be a crazy alberto.

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
I have always used straight braid or straight flouro. Considering to move to braid to flouro leader.
I didnt want to highjack the other thread.

One which knots do you guys use to tie the leader to the braid? I was told by Tommy Martin to tie the double uni. Is that a good strong knot?
Do you have any problem in very heavy cover?
If I use 65lb braid and a 25lb lb louro leader will it handle handle cover like flipping button willows or heavy grass?

Thanks for any help.

For 65 to 25 flouro, the crazy alberto is what I use, but I've gone to 30 lb flouro leader material for a couple of reasons.

The double uni is a great knot for joining line as long as the line diameters are close to the same. For that big of flouro, the line diameters are significantly different.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 10:08 PM

Alberto knot Is what I use.

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

On your slip cork earthworm rig? grin
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 10:34 PM

I actually have a hard time with the Alberto...tho it's a great knot. I just use the double uni, never had a problem...it's just a little bigger knot than the aleberto, but easier for me.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigfishtx
Originally Posted by Coolarrow

On your slip cork earthworm rig? grin

Hey keep that on the down low!! Lol
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Braid to flouro - 04/30/19 11:01 PM

Just use some bailing twine
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 01:24 AM

RP KNOT has worked great, no issues thus far. Using it on my spinning setups, 20 lb. braid to 8-10 lb. flouro. leader.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 01:27 AM

If that's the way you want to do it use an FG knot... Cleanest straightest strongest braid to flouro leader
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 01:54 AM

What's flouro?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fish2222
What's flouro?
This is what it reminds me of:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 11:48 AM

Three or four turn surgeons knot here for 15 to 8 or 10 pound flouro. Simplest knot and it works on light line.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 12:07 PM

Straight braid if flipping grass. Straight flouro for everything else. Not gonna bother with a leader. I only use a leader for finnesse/spinning presentations.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 12:10 PM

I still use the old blood knot, and it works great for 15# braid to 10# flouro on a spinning reel.
Good luck
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 12:12 PM

Me too, some things never become obsolete.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 12:27 PM

are you guys reeling the knot past the eyes on the rod? I know it will work on a spinning rod but how does that work on a bait casting reel and specifically does it affect when flipping and pitching a lot?
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 02:00 PM

uni to uni for my spinning rod. I wouldn't flip with braid to anything with any knot.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 02:23 PM

I sat and practiced knots last night for a couple hours.
I can tie the Alberto and crazy Alberto no problem. The FG knot is a biach for me for some reason. I'm going to try the first two and see how it goes.
Thanks
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 03:12 PM

Ditto on the Alberto! Have never had any issues with this knot. If I break off, it is almost always at the flouro to bait tie on.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 03:21 PM

I use the Crazy Alberto knot. One comment though. If I use the leader with flipping I try to keep it short enough that it doesn't have to come through the line guides. Seems to me when it runs through the guides it catches just enough to throw off your flip.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 03:37 PM

I tired braid to leader for a year. Tried all the knots, and settled on the FG. It's a pain to learn, but easy once you practice. It's the thinnest and strongest I've found, but it's longer than most. I never understood people saying it was hard to tie on a boat.

After a year, I've decided it was not worth the hassle. I use straight braid for most things, and copoly for most everything else. With the places I fish, the water isn't clear enough to worry about spooking the fish.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/01/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Fish2222
What's flouro?
This is what it reminds me of:
[Linked Image]

No doubt.....
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/02/19 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by i-Fish
Straight braid if flipping grass. Straight flouro for everything else. Not gonna bother with a leader. I only use a leader for finnesse/spinning presentations.

+1
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Braid to flouro - 05/02/19 02:52 AM

Alberto!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum