Texas Fishing Forum

Line Weight ?

Posted By: Jman

Line Weight ? - 04/26/19 11:01 PM

Dare I dip my toes back into the Bass Fishing Section

But I'm curious for the guys throwing larger and heavier swimbaits, what line do you typically go to - 15, 17, 20? And I'm talking more open water stuff - points and the like, not busting around a bunch of timber.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/26/19 11:34 PM

20-30lb Sunline mono on a Loomis IMX-PRO Swimbait rod. 16lb striper this week on a Tater Hog Father. Bent the rod pretty good.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/27/19 12:15 AM

I use 17 and 20# McCoys Mean Green, no problems so far. Knock on wood. You can get by with 15, but I feel more comfortable with 17. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/27/19 12:25 AM

You talking about throwing soft swimbaits with hidden hooks, exposed hooks, or hard swimmers with trebles?

For treble swimmers I stay 15-17.
For exposed swimmer hooks like those on jig heads 17-20.
For hidden hooks that I have to drive home when a fish takes it I like 20+.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/27/19 12:53 AM

If by “larger/heavier” you are talking about 3oz & larger it’s 20lb mono for me. High dollar lure and cheap line. 20lb Big Game.
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/27/19 03:34 AM

what size line for a weightless Texas rig senko? I'm using 15 lb braid right now but it floats and the weight of the worm doesn't seem to be enough to pull the line down, it just sits on top of the water.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Line Weight ? - 04/27/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lowew79
what size line for a weightless Texas rig senko? I'm using 15 lb braid right now but it floats and the weight of the worm doesn't seem to be enough to pull the line down, it just sits on top of the water.
I fish my weightless plastics on the same 17lb McCoys co-poly I fish most worms, jigs, crankbaits....with. When fishing “weightless” Senkos, Ring Frys, Flukes.....I adjust the “weightlessness” with my hook choice. I want a slow to moderate fall in the bait. Generally a Gama 4/0 EWG Superline hook gives me about the desired fall for most weightless plastics. Need less? Go to a 3/0 hook or drop down to a regular wire hook instead of Superline hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum