Texas Fishing Forum

!? Edible Artificial Baits ?!

Posted By: Banker Fisherman

!? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 01:42 PM

As anglers, one of the things that we seem to have a ton of are soft plastic or artificial baits. I had run across a video on YouTube about people trying to create an artificial bait that would be bio-degradable and edible/nutritious to fish. Some of these creations were quite interesting using food coloring, edible glitter and different natural products to have that "soft plastic" look and feel.

This got me to thinking how this would be a great idea for some of the big tackle companies to take on and put more R/D into this kind of artificial lure. I know there are draw backs to a bio-degradable bait, but if it helps cut down on soft-plastic pollution and could be nutritious to fish, I would like to see where it can go.

I was able to find a bait out there already, but it is not made by a major distributor/ tackle provider. Unfortunately the FoodSource Lure baits are no longer available.This would be interesting if providers like Zoom, Berkley, etc... would take this on.... or maybe they already have...would be interested to hear your thoughts / experiences with this subject.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is an interesting link to a Patent already filed for biodegradable baits

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6753004B2/en
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 01:53 PM

Interesting. I wonder If it actually works. I’d assume, if it did work as well as other stick baits, that it would sell. There must be something about it that doesn’t make viable. Either cost, performance, or both.

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Interesting. I wonder If it actually works. I’d assume, if it did work as well as other stick baits, that it would sell. There must be something about it that doesn’t make viable. Either cost, performance, or both.

So far what I could tell is that the longevity of the bait is what might be an issue....typically the baits may not have a long shelf life before they start to degrade...also temperature and humidity can be a factor in how long they will last...As for the cost of production, from what I have seen you can make these baits in similar equipment/casts that are already being used. I am sure with further R/D that the cost of materials would decrease as well.

I read some of the reviews on the FoodSource lures and they did mention some differences in feel/performance-like how the baits fell in the water or the action they had...but most of reviews still said that they would catch fish.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 03:08 PM

“Must keep bait refrigerated” and good if used by XX/XX/XXXX roflmao
Posted By: PondFishin

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ripinlip
“Must keep bait refrigerated” and good if used by XX/XX/XXXX roflmao

I would go BROKE keeping my worm bags fresh! It's already hard enough to track your plastics and keep them in stock.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 03:23 PM

There is another one out there called bio baits thats biodegradable not sure if its edible, I was impressed by the action of their leech and caught quite a few fish on it, they are very soft like roboworms but obviously not as durable as typical pvc based baits. Some of this is coming from some north eastern state DNR passing laws that are making artificial plastics illegal to use, if it goes federal it could just be like in the late 80's when they outlawed lead shot for waterfowl hunting.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 03:50 PM

The fishbites brand makes biodegradable lures similar to gulp without all the stink and mess- Wallymart sells them down here. They look kinda stiff though.

https://fishbites.com/product-category/saltwater/ffc-fishbites-fight-club/
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 05:55 PM

Berkley has had this going on for many years. Use to forget and leave one of the worms on the hook and come back next week with it so hard you couldn't get it off. Most of the Gulp baits are biodegradable.

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 06:56 PM

Great responses and good feedback on the different baits to use.

I have noticed that as well with the gulp baits. They will also change color and consistency when they have been in the water for a while. Its like they become water logged or something.
Posted By: lowew79

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 07:21 PM

My favorite is the classic 297 green pumpkin senko. Those black flakes add just the right amount of spice. The overall texture is a little toothsome but I like 'em!
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/26/19 09:12 PM

Just get you some gummy worms. They come in a rainbow of colors and what ever the fish don't eat, you can eat yourself.

I wont buy biodegradable baits anymore. Had to throw too many bags of them away before I even got to use them.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: !? Edible Artificial Baits ?! - 04/27/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner
The fishbites brand makes biodegradable lures similar to gulp without all the stink and mess- Wallymart sells them down here. They look kinda stiff though.

https://fishbites.com/product-category/saltwater/ffc-fishbites-fight-club/

That stuff works like magic for saltwater fish, I've seen the sand flea one out fish live bait. The guy at Cosway tackle said they could not keep it on the shelf, if it wasn't getting bought it was getting stolen! They had to start locking it up behind the counter, not sure about for bass but I imagine it would work good for catfish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum