Texas Fishing Forum

what to do with accumulated baits?

Posted By: Darrell

what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 09:29 PM

like most have lots of baits accumulated over the years..any ideas what to do with it all?..several hundred pounds of unused plastics and lots of hard baits..couple of years ago someone was collecting and giving away to scouts and other groups, but don't know what happened to him...somebody like BPS or Cabela's could give to kids would be one idea
Posted By: Chet

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 09:46 PM

Have seven or eight rubber maid type container in the garage that came out when I sold my boat. Tried to give to a high school team but no one came to get them. Still looking for someone that can use them. (mostly plastics).
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 10:04 PM

I will take it all. I do the high school classes at my house and will have several teams per year to go through my program. All Plastics will be sent off for custom hand pouring of the plastics to be given to the kids. Several lure packs will also be given to College teams that take the course.

- I need large amounts of light colored plastics.
- They are melted down.
- There are 15 different plastics that will be poured from your used baits.

Please PM. me if you would like to help. I will see that they are poured into baits that will catch fish and given to the younger generation.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 10:17 PM

The guy that drives the trash truck who picks up our trash has been getting all my stuff I don’t use anymore , he loves fishing and his boys do also . Got tired of looking at all the stuff not using anymore .
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 10:27 PM

I give the stuff to kids who love to fish and don’t get the means.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 10:53 PM

This is what I did, and also have high schoolers come by and pick out what they need given lots of rod and reels to the kids that need I'm blessed to have what I have and pass it down to them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 11:10 PM

the LAKE FORK SPORTSMANS ASSOC has a program where we take tackle etc, refurb it and give it out to about 6 high schools in the area around Lake Fork

PM me if you want the contact number
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 11:14 PM

Heck most of the high schoolers are using better stuff than me. They wouldn't want what I have.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/23/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF
Heck most of the high schoolers are using better stuff than me. They wouldn't want what I have.

I would love to get a shopping spree in your tackle room. You have some great vintage stuff!
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 12:16 AM

Cody Klapper the owner of possum kingdom tackle was talking to me the other day about having like a free kid grab a bait type thing in his store. Im going to donate some poles and baits. That way there is something special about a kid catching a fish on a bait they picked out then they are hooked.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Darrell
like most have lots of baits accumulated over the years..any ideas what to do with it all?..several hundred pounds of unused plastics and lots of hard baits..couple of years ago someone was collecting and giving away to scouts and other groups, but don't know what happened to him...somebody like BPS or Cabela's could give to kids would be one idea

I posted a add for a few cheaper rods and reels and a 12 year old boy wanted me to meet up with him so he could buy one.. It was quite the hassle cus him mom was a real pos and he would set a time place and she flaked. Eventually she got him to a gas station to meet up and I gave him two rods reels and ALL my misc stuff I didnt want at that time, basically a garbage back full. Hopefully it means something to him. Three days later his mom texted me thanking me.....

I posted the add because if you post free theres a line of people wanting it to try and sell. I had the rod reels at 10 each, they were bass pro carbonlites.
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 02:43 AM

I donated to high school fishing team. Met up with sponsor and was very grateful
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 03:27 AM

I bought almost 2 garbage bags at a garage sale few years ago, took it to the kid event the next weekend, dumped it on the ground and told kids to have it all. One of the most rewarding things i ever did. Im about to go thru my stuff and donate a bunch, and a few reels at the next kid event. My daughter and i look forward to it annually.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 12:57 PM

If you fish long enough you will end up down the road wishing you had a lot of those baits. I still have a few baits from over 20 years ago like the old Sensations I still have that I pull out on an occasion and still catch fish with them. A Lake Fork Tackle CrawTube has always been my go to bait that I still use and luckily when they were still producing them I loaded up and still have enough bags to last me for quite a while. No copy of the bait works for me quite as good for some reason and I have some in a particular color that I cannot get anywhere else.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 01:49 PM

I'm a horder [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: forkduc

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 02:48 PM

Donate to Cast For Kids
Posted By: Alan

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 03:10 PM

I started hanging all my old and injured hard lures on a wire around my garage. 50 year collection. Must have close to 1000.
Posted By: FishFAN

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 06:39 PM

Please check out www.fishamericannow.org; we teach elementary age kids how to fish. We need all the gear you can donate. Tax deductible to you.

FishFAN
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/24/19 08:40 PM

FishFAN- I went to the website and while I saw info about how to donate $$ I didn't for lures. Do you mind sharing how we can do that? Thanks.

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/25/19 01:16 AM

Donations - If you call or email, we will make arrangements to pick up all donations, if feasible - jimmy@fishamericanow.org. The nonprofit number is 214.802.2709.

Looks like we need to put a page on the website about donations other than $ and how to make that donation. We have had donations of land, trucks, trailers, boats and other stuff, including fishing gear, baits, etc. It all adds up and helps so much.

Kids need to fish
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/25/19 03:09 AM

As Donald said, donate it to high schools or college fishermen. I donated several years ago and they gave me a tax write off situation. BEST thing that can happen. I donated 2 old combos and some kids got to fish with their own equipment, so best thing you can do. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/25/19 12:41 PM

Donate them to your local high school fishing teams
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/25/19 04:08 PM

I am in the Richardson area for work and live up near Ray Roberts. We have a high school team there that would appreciate the baits. Thanks

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 04/26/19 04:10 PM

donating to high school teams is great idea...found out that fun and sun in hurst is really involved and doing just this exact sort of thing..if anyone else wants to donate call Brian there

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 05/05/19 03:32 PM

I would encourage anyone with lots of tackle taking up space to get it to Brian at Fun N Sun in Hurst..broken packages and loose baits ok, it'll be put to good use helping kids
Posted By: Phototex

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 05/05/19 05:47 PM

For various reasons, after bass fishing, tournament fishing, bass clubs, etc. 49 years, I gave it up. I had been a field staffs of Mister Twister, Bomber, Stearns, Browning, and a few others, and had accumulated a LOT of gear. I kept a lot of my tackle, but most of my old hard baits were grouped and sold to collectors on eBay. They made me quite a bit of cash. For whatever reason, I kept my old plastics, rods and reels, and most of my spinnerbaits. Then, 13 years later, I got back into it, but no longer field test or fish tournaments. I ended up giving most of my old plastics (about 200 pounds of them) to high school teams, along with some of my old rods and reels (one new). I have no idea how many of them have been used, but I hope most of them have. It was a good feeling. Unfortunately, since many of those old baits from the 70s still work, I'm now having to buy them on eBay myself. LOL

Re: what to do with accumulated baits? - 05/05/19 06:39 PM

Fishermen,

www.fishamericanow.org partners with the TP&WD to form Fishing FANClubs to teach elementary kids how to fish. The TP&WD trains and certifies our
Angler Education Instructors and provides the background checks.
HS bass clubs are recruited to help and are paid for their instruction time, etc.

FAN needs each and every donation possible, to help kids.

FishAmericaNow Foundation
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum