Texas Fishing Forum

Common courtesy

Posted By: fivebites

Common courtesy - 04/02/19 05:22 PM

Over the last two months I've PM'd several guys who needed help on lakes they were either new to or struggling. You never know who is just "fishing " for tourney info, but I tend to be a glass half full guy. The last Yahoo I gave very specific details of a great prespawn spot on Joe Pool. Not much of a response or thanks. When I've asked for help, Ive ALWAYS responded and always replied back how I did afterwards. Is that too much to ask?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 05:23 PM

Nope.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 05:23 PM

Not at all. But sometimes people get busy and forget.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 06:19 PM

I've done the same thing giving specific details on the how and where and sometimes not gotten much back. It is what it is.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 06:27 PM

There was a thread a while back about, 'do you not respond to a thread and move on'? This is exactly why I move on at times. There just isn't any respect anymore.

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 06:31 PM

Common Courtesy is a thing of the past. Its been replaced with "The world revolves around me, so get out of my way!"
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Over the last two months I've PM'd several guys who needed help on lakes they were either new to or struggling. You never know who is just "fishing " for tourney info, but I tend to be a glass half full guy. The last Yahoo I gave very specific details of a great prespawn spot on Joe Pool. Not much of a response or thanks. When I've asked for help, Ive ALWAYS responded and always replied back how I did afterwards. Is that too much to ask?

No it's not. "one and done" is my motto when helping folks who don't return the favor or a thanks.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 08:00 PM

Exactly! I've got a list of folks that I cannot wait until they ask for help again....boy, do they have it coming.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Common courtesy - 04/02/19 11:37 PM

I really haven’t helped much with fishing spots on here. Try to help with guys having boat issues. They seam to be thankful. A guy who want to know where to catch fish I really don’t respond to much except with general info. To me figuring them out is the fun part. If someone tells me where to go and what to throw.. I feel I caught their fish. Just me thinking. But the attitude with fisherman blowing up in a cove I’m fishing. Jumping in front of you. Making 20 cast or sometimes just a big circle kills me. No respect anymore. Sad days for sure.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:13 AM

I have list of 5 or 6 peeps that I owe info to, they will get good stuff.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:26 AM

The less I expect from others, the less I will be disappointed. It is sad but it is what it is.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:46 AM

Not too much to ask at all! Funny, one of the guys who responded above is notorious for begging for info and giving no thanks in return. Lol!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Exactly! I've got a list of folks that I cannot wait until they ask for help again....boy, do they have it coming.

Hey bro, I'm broken down over here on I-35 West near Waxahachie. Can you come get me??
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 02:04 AM

Hell thank you in person next time you go out to fish it and see him sitting there
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 02:09 AM

Apparently... Dan
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by UTMallard
Not too much to ask at all! Funny, one of the guys who responded above is notorious for begging for info and giving no thanks in return. Lol!

Hmmm interesting. I know Fouz, okie poke and Coolarrow, they don’t ask or beg for info. WAWI doesn’t, I’m pretty sure people beg him for squaw info. That doesn’t leave too many.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:34 PM

I have rarely asked for info, and never do I ask for spots. Since I moved to Austin and am fishing an entirely different type of lake I've ever fished in, I'm asking more generalized questions. I had never fished a lake that 15 feet off the bank you may be sitting in 60 feet of water...in the BACK of a creek! So deep water access for fish on lakes like Fork or Roberts would either be the end of a long point or a creek channel swing. Here it's EVERYWHERE! LOL. I've had several people give me general information and one gave me a specific creek and depth to start in on a new lake about a month ago. I responded to him exactly what happened. Unfortunately the area he told me about was not happening and we found them in another area of the lake that I found on my own. BUT, I still responded to him, told him thank you, and gave him my results, along with the areas we found fish in. Just shake my head at people who can't take two minutes out of their life to do the same. The last one at Pool I gave him some very specific info on a prespawn spot that I've caught a ton of 4-7 pound fish. I don't fish Pool much anymore and can't hit those areas as often as I used to but dang...you'd have thought he would at least let me know what happened. SMH!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:49 PM

I share info a lot , never expect anything back , You still have to catch them .
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
Common Courtesy is a thing of the past. Its been replaced with "The world revolves around me, so get out of my way!"

Sadly it isn't limited to the fishing world. cry
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 12:56 PM

I give help freely, when I’m able to do so. Sometimes, I really just don’t have a clue.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Hey bro, I'm broken down over here on I-35 West near Waxahachie. Can you come get me??

For you I'd tramps thru the Louisiana bayou....with gators in tow!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 04:43 PM

Courtesy is not common anymore.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 08:47 PM

Randy, need way points on Belton? In case I don't get back to you, thanks. bannana2
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 09:48 PM

I hear ya! I reached out to a guy who bought a used boat/motor that was having similar trouble that I had once. I emailed him a Youtube video with an explanation on how to fix it. He had already taken it to two mechanics and was about to sell it and buy a brand new boat. He fixed it but never thanked me. No good deed...

Re: Common courtesy - 04/03/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Randy, need way points on Belton? In case I don't get back to you, thanks. bannana2

Way points my a$$... let's go fishing! Hey, I found the extra lug nuts for your truck in my garage this morning. Headed thru Temple tomorrow. You wanna grab em?
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Common courtesy - 04/04/19 12:41 AM

Except for those good ol west texas people.
Ask them what time is it and they'll tell you how to build a clock.
Never had problems getting lake info either
Posted By: DownAndDirtyBlues

Re: Common courtesy - 04/04/19 12:07 PM

Good morning,
"Last yahoo" here I did give a thanks in the pm and I haven't had a chance to let you know how the trip wento I do apologize with the utmost sincerity for that and any discomfort it may have caused you.

Here is the thanks I sent you via pm....

Thank you so much i was spending a lot of time around Lynn creek and the some of the banks I guess I was in the wrong arm of the lake. 
If you see a 22ft Blue Wave with a Yamaha hpdi feel free to stop by and talk.. 
Thanks again for the ideas I was planning on shooting my buddy for inviting the boss on my dang boat lol
Are they hitting on plastics or mostly hard baits ?

I work 70 hours a week and I haven't had a chance to update you on the results I did make a post on the main Thread about the results so that everyone would know and I thanked everyone again.

But to ensure that I am proper with tff etiquette I will make sure I respond to you personally with the results via p.m.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/04/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DownAndDirtyBlues

Good morning,
"Last yahoo" here I did give a thanks in the pm and I haven't had a chance to let you know how the trip wento I do apologize with the utmost sincerity for that and any discomfort it may have caused you.

Here is the thanks I sent you via pm....

Thank you so much i was spending a lot of time around Lynn creek and the some of the banks I guess I was in the wrong arm of the lake. 
If you see a 22ft Blue Wave with a Yamaha hpdi feel free to stop by and talk.. 
Thanks again for the ideas I was planning on shooting my buddy for inviting the boss on my dang boat lol
Are they hitting on plastics or mostly hard baits ?

I work 70 hours a week and I haven't had a chance to update you on the results I did make a post on the main Thread about the results so that everyone would know and I thanked everyone again.

But to ensure that I am proper with tff etiquette I will make sure I respond to you personally with the results via p.m.

Ok, I was trying not to "out" you, but since the cat's out of the bag, here was second my response to you regarding a very specific spot. All I was asking for was a little courtesy. Two minutes of your time. No need to PM me.

"The ledges I told you about on the east arm south of the bridge I always fished around the trees with soft plastic craws. I fish big craws like the old Gene Larew hawg craw in black and blue or watermelon red. But any crawfish plastic should do. Up near the dam I'd start with moving baits...i.e. spinner bait, chatter bait, square bill to see if they're active. If you're not getting bit, move out to the first drop off or tree line. Those big gals won't be far away from the spawing areas. With this little cold front it may slow them down a little, but they won't move far off. If you're not getting bit, slow down and throw a jig or a craw worm. Senkos or wacky worms are my last weapon of choice. I'm trying to catch bigger fish myself, so I usually only throw those if absolutley nothing else is working. A 7" blue fleck power worm is always a good choice on Pool as well. IF you get on some fish, please don't tell all your buddies about these spots. I've given you one of my best areas on those ledges for BIG fish. If you just can't get bit, put the trolling motor on high and work the banks and bushes/trees in the very back of creeks. The east arm of the lake has always been better for me. There are three or four creeks on the west bank of the east arm south of the main point between the two arms that always hold fish. More real "creek arms" to get back in. Don't know how big a 22' Blue Wave is, but you may have your work cut out for you in some of those. Let me know how you did."
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Common courtesy - 04/04/19 01:00 PM

^^^^no wonder the “fishing is slow on JP”! Lol.^^^^.

Just messin. But, thanks for not giving up the good spots. grin
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Common courtesy - 04/04/19 02:39 PM

I give info freely as well. But I also like to see a response on PM's. NOT "remove myself from this forum".
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Common courtesy - 04/05/19 12:39 AM

common courtesy is just like common sense, it is long gone!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Common courtesy - 04/05/19 02:51 PM

I think there is a core set of people monitoring this site all the time, many just come here for quick info and move on. So they are unlikely to respond.

If you want a response ask for it. Information on this site is free, if you give it up, you should expect nothing in return. Kinda like the whole co angler and gas money threads.

Real problems of the TFF.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Common courtesy - 04/05/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BMCD
I think there is a core set of people monitoring this site all the time, many just come here for quick info and move on. So they are unlikely to respond.

If you want a response ask for it. Information on this site is free, if you give it up, you should expect nothing in return. Kinda like the whole co angler and gas money threads.

Pretty much says it all!
There are a ton of lurkers on this forum, and if you post anything it's out there for anyone.
You don't know the guy who you are responding to, and he doesn't know you in all probability, so any information you give is one and done.
The guys who come back and thank you are a bonus, and probably good guys you would want to fish with.
Look at some of the fishing reports and you'll see very few responses, but there may be over a thousand or so views.
Everyone is watching, so like mentioned, if you want a response you have to ask for it.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 03:40 AM

I don't know how much more blunt you can be by saying "LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DO". Seems pretty clear.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 01:18 PM

For you I'd tramps thru the Louisiana bayou....with gators in tow!

You're a good man Okie. Glad to call you Friend thumb

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 01:20 PM

I don't know how much more blunt you can be by saying "LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DO". Seems pretty clear.

I give out a TON of fishin info because I like to help folks. I like to teach. If I had to go by myself I would never go. I get as stoked seeing someone catch a big fish as I do catching it myself.

Many times when I give info I don't receive any confirmation of how they did. I think it is because they most likely went out and didn't do too well. Told one of my TFF buds where to go yesterday and even what tree to tie to. He will respond but most likely not on here.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 01:35 PM

I give out a TON of fishin info because I like to help folks. Many times I don't receive any confirmation of how they did. I think it is because they most likely went out and didn't do too well. Told one of my TFF buds where to go yesterday and even what tree to tie to. He will respond but most likely not on here.

I'll respond Ken but I'm not going to share your ( now our ) spot and technique with anyone. You know you're going to get pics, I always send you some no matter where I catch'em. I have and will share some of my own spots that are not presently being used. I gave out precise directions to 4 of my brush piles on Texoma last year. Never heard back from them which was disappointing. I was hoping they did well and would share how it went. I've shared info on many of the lakes I fish, PK, Bridgeport, Welsh, Tawakoni, Cedar Creek and RC. but it's usually through PM. I don't think it's right to broadcast it on here when there's a possible tournament happening that weekend. They'll have to find those fish on there own.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 03:40 PM

I do not freely give up info that has taken me years of my time to learn, but I do offer it to those who I feel would do the same for others.

So basically if I do not know you or know "of you" and your character, I am probably not giving much past basic info.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 03:48 PM

I give out a TON of fishin info because I like to help folks. I like to teach. If I had to go by myself I would never go. I get as stoked seeing someone catch a big fish as I do catching it myself.

Many times when I give info I don't receive any confirmation of how they did. I think it is because they most likely went out and didn't do too well. Told one of my TFF buds where to go yesterday and even what tree to tie to. He will respond but most likely not on here.

Dear Ken and Douglas,

I will soon be taking a boat load of orphans and underprivileged kids fishing on Fork. Please give up your top 5 spots for the kids. They need a pick me up in life. Thanks for helping kids. I’m grateful
grin thumb

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Dear Ken and Douglas,

I will soon be taking a boat load of orphans and underprivileged kids fishing on Fork. Please give up your top 5 spots for the kids. They need a pick me up in life. Thanks for helping kids. I’m grateful
grin thumb

Fish the shoreline in Glade creek Frank, hardly anyone fishes in there and it's loaded with bass. Please don't share this though.

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 03:57 PM

It’s a ghost town roflmao

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 04:04 PM

Birch is also one of my secrets. The secret spot Ken gave me was the boat ramp at Lake Fork Marina. He said it's the best during the Big Bass Splash.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 04:17 PM

6 Flags

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES

Birch is also one of my secrets. The secret spot Ken gave me was the boat ramp at Lake Fork Marina. He said it's the best during the Big Bass Splash.

Will have to try that.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Common courtesy - 04/06/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES

Will have to try that.

I'll see you there! woot
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Common courtesy - 04/07/19 11:40 AM

You are so right!!!!!! No consideration for other people anymore and it extends to way more than fishing.. Pitiful...
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Common courtesy - 04/07/19 12:10 PM

When you deal with people you often find out truly who they are. Then you can chose to continue with them or move on. In this case I would move on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum