Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn Gnats

Posted By: Igofish2

Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 01:35 AM

The gnats are crazy this year. They will eat you alive. If you are allergic or want to find out if you are,come to Rayburn and fish.
Carry some Benadryl. Several people here are having problems. They got to me for the first time today. sick
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 01:37 AM

Avon skin so soft or vanilla extract will keep them away.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 03:08 AM

I've heard a dryer sheet under your ball cap will help but I haven't tried it. Dont think I wont try it though
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 06:15 AM

hate those dang things
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 11:56 AM

They are very bold too this year. They seem to go straight for my eyes, bypass the eyelid, cheek, face... straight for the eye. Put on glasses and then you have 'em buzzing around between the glasses and your eye. I don't remember them being like this last year.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 12:24 PM

Southeast Texas has had almost twice the rain as in normal years for 2 consecutive years. Some areas have averaged 90 inches a year. This promotes all kinds of insect population growth.
Posted By: dflipper

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 12:47 PM

Dab a small drop of tea tree oil behind each ear, problem solved.
Posted By: tmkbdd

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 01:45 PM

Spray glue!
Posted By: Longhorn

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 02:08 PM

This stuff really works for me. Bug Soother
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 09:12 PM

These are biting flies ("no see-'ems"), and are related to deer flies, horse flies, etc. Many kinds. They are NOT deterred by DEET. They are a plague if you go to certain Caribbean beaches such as Roatan! If you stir in the dry sand you'll end up looking like you have chicken pox!

Try this three-step treatment:
[list]
[*]Permethrin spray on clothing (before putting them on!)
[*]Sawyer's Broad Spectrum Composite Spray on exposed skin.
[*]Mosquito head net.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/26/19 10:34 PM

They always get bad after a wet year. If there is no breeze to keep them off it’s bad. I bought a cheap military bug mesh head cover. It’s green and very light. Keeps them out of your eyes and ears. Don’t effect your eye sight much. Long sleeves, fishing gloves and pants and you can make it. I try to wear the long sleeves, fishing gloves and long pants anyway along with a sun protection head cover. Helps keep me out of the Dr office! Lol
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/27/19 02:17 AM

I call them dog pecker gnats.

Tin foil under your ball cap seems to work pretty good along with Avon Skin so soft!!!
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/27/19 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B

*** THIS ***
Avon Skin-so-Soft is what they recommend for the Mexico fishing trips. regular or bug off either one

I hear the no see-ums at Sam Rayburn came across at Falcon illegally ………. the border patrol got some but missed the ones that took up residence at Sam.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/28/19 12:30 AM

Amazon sells what I use with great results; Ultrathon spray or lotion. I used to get bit bad but once I put that stuff on it works awesome.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/28/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by flukeman83
Originally Posted by Chris B

*** THIS ***
Avon Skin-so-Soft is what they recommend for the Mexico fishing trips. regular or bug off either one

I hear the no see-ums at Sam Rayburn came across at Falcon illegally ………. the border patrol got some but missed the ones that took up residence at Sam

They should have built a solid wall. They flew right through it.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/28/19 03:50 PM

I fished Rayburn for 5 straight days last week and they were annoying but didn’t think much about it. The next day after fishing I started getting big welps on my face and neck. Monday morning my eye was swollen shut! I’ve always been allergic to bites but will be back out there next week! Gonna have to try some of those remedies.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/30/19 01:20 AM

Fished Rayburn yesterday and didnt even notice them. But the wind was blowing 20+.
Posted By: BigTxBassMan

Re: Sam Rayburn Gnats - 03/30/19 03:28 AM

Are they in a certain area of the lake? I haven’t had any bite me this year. I remember them being terrible at Toledo Bend years ago. Skin So soft worked the best.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum