Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird Mega

Posted By: Bassfisher15

Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 05:51 PM

I am in the market for new electronics at my console. I have narrowed it down to a helix unit and there are a few used one that are for sale right now. My question is, is the mega imaging that much better than chirp? I will be coming from a non chirp unit and I am looking for a clearer image in both 2D and DI. Looking at a helix 9 G2N with just chirp or is it worth the extra money for the Mega? Thanks
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 06:02 PM

the 9 does not have as good of a picture as a 10, less pixels, similar to a cheaper tv vs higher quality tv.

mega is certainly worth it for side imaging, not as critical for di

It sounds like you are going to want the g3 unit to me not a older g2 or g1 if you main thing is 2d and di quality.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 06:07 PM

All the G2, G2N, G3, and G3N models do CHIRP sonar and CHIRP Imaging.
There a sonar models (CHIRP), there are DI models, and there are SI models.

A unit that has a name Helix 9 CHIRP GPS G2N only has 2D sonar.
There are two G2N Helix 9 DI models. One is Helix 9 CHIRP DI GPS G2N and the other is Helix 9 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N
. Units that don't have MEGA in their names have 455 and 800 kHz Imaging.

MEGA stands for Mega Hertz and that is one of the frequencies for Side Imaging and Down Imaging---1.2 MKz or 1200 kHz. Those units have 455 kHz and 800 kHz Imaging also.
No such thing as a MEGA CHIRP 2D only unit. You have to pay attention to the whole model names.

The G3 and G3N models are current. The G2 and G2N models were discontinued in 2018. If you find a Helix 9 without CHIRP, that is the first generation (aka three generations old).
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 06:37 PM

Good stuff, Wayne.
Posted By: SC 210

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 06:55 PM

Mega is worth it.
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 07:11 PM

Mega is only good for SI imo. I still run 455 on DI units as you can see fish MUCH easier
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Fanatic
Mega is only good for SI imo. I still run 455 on DI units as you can see fish MUCH easier

Why is that?
Posted By: carlots

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 09:48 PM

I have had my solix units a year now and I can tell you mega is the only way to go. I have a 10" and a 12" and they are wonderful. make sure you get helix g3 units or you will be sorry and get as large as you can afford. good luck
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/25/19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by barbarian

Why is that?

Mega doesnt really show fish which is why you usually use di and sonar at the same time. di shows the trees brush etc. sonar shows fish arches and size by how red etc.

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by barbarian

Why is that?

Mega give you such a refined picture that fish are barely noticeable. Put it on 455 and they are bigger dots. And sonar is good, but you can’t see fish in a thick pile on sonar, but on 455 DI you can.

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 02:48 AM

Thanks guys for all the great info, I will keep my eyes peeled for a used helix mega. I just can't afford to buy a new one right now. Plus im still saving up for an ultrex.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 06:34 AM

I run the 10si mega and love it! Now I don't bass fish anymore but focus solely and blue cats now but here a few pics of the unit in action to give you a idea.
[Linked Image]

Now in this pic I went out to 80ft and went to 420-520 looking for fish and not structure. These are all bluecats
[Linked Image]

Submerged bridge
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
old oil derrick
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 12:48 PM

Can't wait to get my g3 installed. Just waiting on the transducer mount for my jack plate.

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 02:43 PM

Those are some incredible images. That is exactly what I want. Hopefully I will be able to get the settings right to get that kind of image quality

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bassfisher15
Those are some incredible images. That is exactly what I want. Hopefully I will be able to get the settings right to get that kind of image quality

Remember, those are not bass. The picture quality on Mega is untouched! I do electronic classes and set up people’s graphs every week and every single person has decided to stick with 455 on DI and Mega on SI. Just make sure you don’t turn your sensitivity up too high that it blows out the middle of the screen. The key to seeing fish on SI is to keep you screen a little bit dark. You will love the unit!
Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 06:31 PM

WayneP, can you explain why the fish are easier to see on 455 SI than the higher frequency? I was under the impression that more frequency meant better picture but might habe to start changing things up when I am cross scanning structure looking for fish.

Thanks
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/26/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bassfisher15

You'll figure it out. Adjusting the settings is just fine tuning a picture that is already sharp and clear out of the box.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 05:59 AM

Some great info here, as I have been thinking of doing a upgrade on my old Humminbirds and this was a lot of great insights here
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 04:26 PM

Been reading up on the birds also, but what do you guys think of the new live video type feeds now like garmin live scope and lowrance live? The reason i ask is should we wait and see what hummingbird has up their sleeve on live feed?

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CowboyVet
WayneP, can you explain why the fish are easier to see on 455 SI than the higher frequency? I was under the impression that more frequency meant better picture but might habe to start changing things up when I am cross scanning structure looking for fish.

Thanks

The fish are displayed bigger on 455 kHz since the image clarity is not a sharp as 1200 kHz.
Basically it's a little blurry compared to MEGA.

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CowboyVet

Thanks

Bass, crappie, and shad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 05:55 PM

On paper it seems like a good upgrade but I hear most hummingbird guys like the 10 helix over the 9 for clarity

Re: Humminbird Mega - 03/27/19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
On paper it seems like a good upgrade but I hear most hummingbird guys like the 10 helix over the 9 for clarity

That was concerning the first generation and second generation Helix units.
With the current G3N, the 9 has a higher pixel density display than the 10. Both have 1024 X 600 pixels.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum