Texas Fishing Forum

What would you do? Tie?

Posted By: kellisag

What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:17 PM

The tie at Champs got me to thinking but I didn't want to highjack that thread. Would you want to split 1st and 2nd place money or go for the win? I would like to think I would go for the win but I haven't been in that situation so I guess I don't really know.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:18 PM

I would prob take the 13K and count my blessings... especially if I NEEDED the money. Its easy for a lot of people to say they would go for the win without being in that situation.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:25 PM

I’d roshambo for it considering that circumstance specifically. I mean, the whole day was apparently a kick in the dink so what’s another couple kicks?

But, as for me, on that particular day I’d be happy with the split. If it were a better day of fishing I might think differently.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:26 PM

Depends on situation. Saturday for example, I prolly would have split it. Bite was tough and weather was getting worse and had just started raining pretty good. And temps had dropped.

But any other time on Fork, if I come in with 5 and tie 1 over........we are for sure going back out for a tie breaker!
Posted By: Alan

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:30 PM

I don't think I could compose myself for a fish off. I'd take the sure thing and be happy. I'd probably hook myself, backlash and fall out of the boat. I would always wonder what if though.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:35 PM

In the words of my college football coach... "Ole something beats ole nothing, every. single. time."
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
I would prob take the 13K and count my blessings... especially if I NEEDED the money. Its easy for a lot of people to say they would go for the win without being in that situation.

Brian and Scott also had $7K Phoenix money at stake. If they had lost the fish off they would have lost the $7k also

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones
In the words of my college football coach... "Ole something beats ole nothing, every. single. time."

That sounds like a Coach Val saying! roflmao

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Depends on situation. Saturday for example, I prolly would have split it. Bite was tough and weather was getting worse and had just started raining pretty good. And temps had dropped.

But any other time on Fork, if I come in with 5 and tie 1 over........we are for sure going back out for a tie breaker!

The bold part is what really caught my attention. I was thinking I would like my chances in that situation.

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Fiberglass
Originally Posted by Barrett

Brian and Scott also had $7K Phoenix money at stake. If they had lost the fish off they would have lost the $7k also

Interesting that Phoenix would still pay the contingency in the case of a tie. If both of the teams were registered in first flight I wonder if Phoenix would have paid both $7K or split it as well?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 06:55 PM

I would like to go for the win but in reality the logistics of a tie breaker fish off would be difficult. If they want a tie breaker it would be better putting in a statistical rule such as biggest bass. In the end someone is not going to be truly satisfied no matter how it is done.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 06:57 PM

Ain’t no doubt we thumb wrestling!!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 07:05 PM

I’d split it. It takes a certain element of luck to win. You still gotta be good, but lucky as well. I’d count my blessings and split it. Haha. I have no faith in getting that lucky twice in one day.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 07:08 PM

When did Basschamps start paying Phoenix money?
Posted By: GROD

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 07:32 PM

If I was the one with the big bass and no other keepers, I’d split in a heart beat... if I had the 5 fish stringer, then fish off makes more sense. Either way it’s a good position to be in.

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
When did Basschamps start paying Phoenix money?

They only pay Skeeter bonus. Phoenix pays it directly for that trail.
Posted By: Dillon Lee Ins & Guide Service

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 08:10 PM

On that day splitting it was what I would have done
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 11:16 PM

If I only had one keeper all day and it was an over I would be fighting for the chance to split the money. Had I caught 5 unders might had been a different story. Regardless the weather sucked and I’m sure the fishing sucked for both teams so splitting the money makes since to me.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/06/19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kellisag

The bold part is what really caught my attention. I was thinking I would like my chances in that situation.

Same.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/07/19 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

That sounds like a Coach Val saying! roflmao

cheers
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/07/19 12:31 AM

since the weather was really bad I'd go with the decision they made.
Posted By: skins84

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/07/19 12:56 AM

Very tough day for most teams. Win it pays 20k, second 5k. Split it paid 12.5k. They probably made a sound decision. For me, it would depend on what part of the lake i'd been fishing and if I had the 5 fish limit or the over. 1 hour isn't much time if i was fishing the North end of the East arm all day. If I was fishing mid lake i'd probably have rolled the dice. I'm sure all that played into the decision for the team with the limit .
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: What would you do? Tie? - 03/07/19 01:08 AM

+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum