Texas Fishing Forum

Swim bait rod help

Posted By: Falcon Lake Guide

Swim bait rod help - 02/17/19 04:19 AM

I am like 4/30 on my last swim bait fish . I am throwing a 4.75 swimbait and I keep losing the fish . I am using a medium heavy carrot stixx with 20 fluro. Not sure why I keep missing the fish . I am using a 5/0 owner hook . What rod do y’all use ?

Attached picture D6C2C015-C045-4DEE-A90E-2F3231D70A60.jpeg
Posted By: JarrodMc

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/17/19 04:33 AM

I use a St Croix Bass X 7’1” Medium Heavy Fast for paddletail swimbaits. It works perfectly for me and has a great feel for a $99 rod. Tip is just soft enough keep pulling the bait away from the fish but plenty of backbone to set the hook.
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/17/19 04:55 AM

The rod seems fine. Sounds like a hook or hook set issue to me. i’m assuming you are talking about a 4.75” keitech type bait. Are you weedless or exposed? If you are weedless are you letting them eat the bait first? What kind of hookset?
Posted By: Falcon Lake Guide

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/17/19 02:41 PM

That swim bait yes

Going weedless

The ones I do catch I give it a second then slam the hookset

The ones I missed the hookset haven’t been great .

I just feel like a better rod maybe will help me hookup more ?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/17/19 02:44 PM

If the 4.75 swimbait you are using doesn’t have a hook slot, make one with a knife
Make sure the hook has a gap double the width of the swimbait
Some brands of fluoro are quite stretchy—some fluoros are stretchier than mono
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 01:37 AM

Try a heavy action rod and see if that helps. I would choose a 7ft 3in. rod that is 3/8-1 1/4 lure rating.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by collincountytx
If the 4.75 swimbait you are using doesn’t have a hook slot, make one with a knife
Make sure the hook has a gap double the width of the swimbait

Best advice that will be given on this thread.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 01:55 AM

I would be willing to bet your rod is the least of the problem. Most swim bait hook up issues are with the hook, weight, keeper, and bait thickness.

I like to fish a 6" Boom Boom. This year I ended up making a custom weighted hook starting with a 10/0 Owner Beast. The biggest problem I was having was the bait getting wadded up in the hook gap and not sliding up the hook and line due to the belly weight acting as a stopper. I think I have solved that problem with my hook/weight design but only time will tell.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 03:19 AM

Had an Elite Pro tell me to use a c-rig style hook set. Helped me tremendously.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 10:07 AM

I've been having tremendous success with a Curado 7'5" MHXF rod and copolymer line.
The rod has the backbone to set the hook, and the copoly has the stretch to prevent them from throwing the hook.

I use a sweeping hookset to pull the weedless hook into the roof of their mouths.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Swim bait rod help - 02/20/19 08:47 PM

A slightly heavier rod and maybe letting them eat it for a 1-2 second count instead of just a 1 second count could help. Don't just jerk on the rod immediately when you feel the bite, unless the bait absolutely gets slammed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum