Texas Fishing Forum

Winter lockjaw

Posted By: Wormin

Winter lockjaw - 02/06/19 07:56 PM

Alright, I have to ask... I can't seem to get a bite on Lewisville when the water is below 55F? Any advice would be appreciated. I have tried deep, shallow, on the main lake, in coves, up creeks, by the dam... nothing.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/06/19 11:30 PM

They’re always biting somewhere.

Do you have a way to map surface temp trends? Like a newer Lowrance? If so, follow the warmer water and slow down your presentation.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/07/19 03:18 AM

I have a hard time on Lewisville in cold water too. I have been talking to a couple of people who have found fish biting though. Slow moving baits and watch the water temp is what I am hearing also.
Posted By: scott82

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/07/19 03:46 AM

I fished 7 to 12:30 Sunday at Lew. Caught 4. All on rock in 4-6 fow. 2 on red crawl crank and 2 on black and blue football jig. Biggest was 3 lbs 10 oz. all keepers.
Posted By: Wormin

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/08/19 06:52 PM

Thank you all. This gives me something to work with.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/08/19 07:57 PM

One of my better days and biggest Lew fish was casting a Little George(tail spinner) out and hopping it back to the boat off the rocky bottom along the old dam between the two lakes on a cold post front day.
Not a “convential” technique for me. Kinda like you might fish a football jig. Also don’t avoid fishing a jerkbait around the rocks.

Posted By: senko9S

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/09/19 02:30 AM

It's late winter, it's normal to expect just a few bites. Metabolism, but the females are heavy and moving shallow. One bite can be the one. Go out there and hunt.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/09/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
One of my better days and biggest Lew fish was casting a Little George(tail spinner) out and hopping it back to the boat off the rocky bottom along the old dam between the two lakes on a cold post front day.
Not a “convential” technique for me. Kinda like you might fish a football jig. Also don’t avoid fishing a jerkbait around the rocks.

Shhh...yo-yoing Little Georges on Lew is a waste of time.
Posted By: Ckrum

Re: Winter lockjaw - 02/09/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by scott82
I fished 7 to 12:30 Sunday at Lew. Caught 4. All on rock in 4-6 fow. 2 on red crawl crank and 2 on black and blue football jig. Biggest was 3 lbs 10 oz. all keepers.

Very nice! I had buddy catch one on Saturday but caught nada on Sunday! We were trying to fish deeper, finding bait in 15+ feet of water. But couldn’t get anything to bite
At least someone found them!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum