Texas Fishing Forum

Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels

Posted By: Okie Poke

Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 01:27 PM

Well, I left a nice rod/reel combo at the bottom of Lake Welsh a couple of weeks ago, and I'm looking to replace it with a Shimano DC reel and Cara rod. Anyone here tried that reel yet? Pros/cons?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies...Okie
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 01:32 PM

I don't see how you couldn't like the reel. It's smooth, you can cast it a mile, and it seems almost impossible to backlash. My only question is longevity. However, from what I understand these reels were released in Japan a while back and there have been relatively few issues.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 01:45 PM

I honestly cant believe I haven't broken down and bought one yet because literally every single person I know that has one loves it. Even most my friends who are major Abu and Lews enthusiasts own at least one Curado DC and its on a rod they use a lot! lol

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 02:37 PM

They are sweet reels and you will get over the strange winding sound on every cast over time
Posted By: Walls

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I don't see how you couldn't like the reel. It's smooth, you can cast it a mile, and it seems almost impossible to backlash. My only question is longevity. However, from what I understand these reels were released in Japan a while back and there have been relatively few issues.

+1
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 03:08 PM

I have that exact combo right now. Okie. Love it. Im throwing my lighter weight wacky worms on it. Only cause its hard to backlash that reel. You will love it. The Curado K with the Cara isn't bad either!
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 03:16 PM

I have used my wife's a couple of times. Smoothest bait caster I have ever picked up.
Posted By: SamCobra

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 06:04 PM

I have a DC and really like it. Having said that I don't think it is as backlash free as advertised. I watched several YouTube videos and most videos showed that this reel would cast a mile backlash free with out having to thumb the reel. My experience has been that you still need to thumb this reel, There are four settings (1 thru 4) with #1 being the least spool control, this setting will definitely cast a mile but will backlash as soon as the lure hits the water. As you increase the spool control setting the distance decreases and offers more spool braking and control, the #4 setting is the best spool control against backlashing, but the distance is greatly reduced. I am still experimenting with this reel and willing to hear any helpful hints folks might have to help me with this reel.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 07:44 PM

It works fairly well for me. I’m concerned about longevity as well. It may say Shimano but nobody builds them the way they used to.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 08:12 PM

Great reels. The only issue I have is the size. I like a smaller profile, but admittedly, I don't have the biggest hands out there, so it's a little subjective on my side. Some people don't like the buzz sound that it makes, but I personally, actually, kind of like it. Can't speak for the long term durability of the technology of course either.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 08:20 PM

It is an awesome reel. You can definitely backlash it. I tried and won.

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
I have that exact combo right now. Okie. Love it. Im throwing my lighter weight wacky worms on it. Only cause its hard to backlash that reel. You will love it. The Curado K with the Cara isn't bad either!

Sweeet. What Cara rod are you throwing your lighter stuff with? I've only got 4 Caras now, and they're all The Amistad. I won't buy anything else but Cara from here on out.
Posted By: joeycan24

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/24/19 10:27 PM

Best jerkbait reel I’ve owned. When you can cast a jerkbait as far as a 5xd you know its good. However I don’t think I have much use with more than a few of them. I prefer a regular reel unless it’s a light bait. Just my opinion.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 01:30 AM

Do they do well skipping ?
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 02:13 AM

Great reels
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

Sweeet. What Cara rod are you throwing your lighter stuff with? I've only got 4 Caras now, and they're all The Amistad. I won't buy anything else but Cara from here on out.

Glad you convinced me on getting a Cara. I absolutely love it. Will be buying more in the future.
Posted By: SWH

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 02:27 AM

How light? I went Finesse Jig for weightless senkos and light shaky heads. You can go head turner or the 7’2 MF MH if you want a bit heavier. Possibly the trap caster for treble hooks.

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 02:58 AM

[Linked Image]
As you can see in the back. I’m all Cara’s across the board. My DC for wackys is actually on a new 7’ MH fast Lowrider. Trying that rod out this year. I put my wife’s DC on my old wacky rod which is a 7’2” MH Swim Jig rod.

As far as light.... I’m talking the small round Gamakatsu hook with the weed guard. Zoom Trick worm and half a nail.

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 12:57 PM

Thanks for all the info. Looks awesome, Sinkey.

Okie

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/25/19 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the info. Looks awesome, Sinkey.

Okie

Thanks bud. Brought home all the mess to re-line and do inventory........now gotta get it all back in the boat! cheers
Posted By: pg79

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/26/19 12:42 AM

Used the DC. Liked it, but just could not get over the casting sound.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Experience with the new Shimano Curado DC reels - 01/26/19 11:54 PM

Just got the Curado DC. I haven't had it on the lake yet, but testing it in the swimming pool. I wanted to try it on one of my skipping outfits. It is definitely a smooth reel. Set the DC brake to 4 and played around with the cast control knob. I still ended up with some backlashes, but they didn't seem as severe. I think with more time and experimenting, I'll hopefully lower the number of occurrences.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum