Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone tried Monticello

Posted By: Newly Retired

Anyone tried Monticello - 01/15/19 01:45 PM

Will be fishing Thursday and Friday. Anyone fishing Monticello? Any reports? How about Cypress Springs instead? I know Welsh is slammed.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/15/19 02:16 PM

Couldn’t hit the weather better! thumb
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/15/19 04:41 PM

Are y'all getting that front Friday?

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/15/19 05:01 PM

Front arriving late Friday, high temp Friday around 65. Should be good? Just wondering where to go?
Posted By: Nitram1

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/16/19 04:59 PM

As stated in another post, I was told Cypress lake was closed due to high water level, It maybe reopened now. Driving over FM127, all I saw a "flock" of Water Turkeys close to what was the plant water discharge. Last month I had better fishing on Sandlin.

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/16/19 05:42 PM

Lake has been opened now for over a week. About a foot high.
Posted By: rodiebob

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/17/19 02:00 AM

Fished Monticello back in the summer..Had great day then or at least the guys I went with did!! Lol..Its not a power plant lake anymore, but its still full of fish..It was down three feet then but should be full now, unless they were keeping down for a reason..Further not sure what the first winter will do with cold tempts. GUYS that I was with caught fish on frogs and cranks..Grass was recovering at the time on the main lake, smith still had alot of grass..All I have..If you go, just know that its not a power plant lake anymore..Tight lines!
Posted By: �Last cast�

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/17/19 02:21 AM

Went to Monticello on January 11th. Water was 47 degrees. The only grass I found was in about 1ft of water and dead. Fished both bridges, dam, and the creek channel leading through the trees without a bite. Caught one bass all day off of the old roadbed west of the 127 bridge.

Jan 12-13 went to Cypress, water was high but was able to catch some bass off the dam and around the bulkhead in a few creeks.
Posted By: Procraft2000

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/18/19 03:02 PM

With the "new" level, how's the ramp?
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/18/19 03:41 PM

Ramp is good, just keep an eye on Sandlin's water level and Monticello's ramp is good till that lake hits that 2.5 to 3 foot low mark. Hit the mark this past summer and Monticello's ramp got tough and had to be very careful.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 02:05 PM

The gate is all the way open as of 1/4/18. Monte is now at the same level as Sandlin and will be until something changes. So the new full is 2.75' low.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moved to Sandlin
The gate is all the way open as of 1/4/18. Monte is now at the same level as Sandlin and will be until something changes. So the new full is 2.75' low.

So most of blundell is high and dry?
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 05:12 PM

Still too soon for me.

Can't get over it.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TxDanFishMan
Still too soon for me.

Can't get over it.

Get some solid counseling TxDan. I know it has been a part of your winters for the last 40 years, you need time to heal.

With the intake / discharge channels in place, I am in the early stages of a long term plan to get the pumps moving and install a series of gas fired heaters (like giant tankless water heaters) in the discharge canal. In the winter the Sandlin dam gate will be closed and the heaters within the discharge channel will allow controlled warm water. In the warmer months the heaters and pumps will be shut down and the Sandlin gate will be opened. The combination of warm winter and normal summer water temps will result in bass of enormous size beyond imagination.
And the power utilities are going to pay for it. bolt
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 08:11 PM

Lots of whites there now
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 08:58 PM

I didn't know Monticello had white bass in it??
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/19/19 10:19 PM

It does now!! Gates to Sandlin have been open a year now. It’s just an arm of sandlin now.
Posted By: barryfish

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/20/19 05:19 AM

It always looked like Sandlin was down hill from Monti when looking at the gates in a boat on monti
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Anyone tried Monticello - 01/20/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by barryfish
It always looked like Sandlin was down hill from Monti when looking at the gates in a boat on monti

Agreed
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum