Texas Fishing Forum

Costa..why?

Posted By: PieFiller1

Costa..why? - 01/06/19 04:26 AM

Was talking with a buddy today that has fished the Costa's for several years with good success and asked him why he wasn't down there. I didn't know this, they have raised the entry fees by $200 per event, for the last 2 years, (From $1500 to $1900) with no increase in payout. I checked his numbers, he knows what he's talking about. They have 6 Costa divisions, 3 tournaments per division, figure 150 boaters per field, that's an increase of entry fees of $1,080,000 per year....and no increase in payout (they did same on a smaller scale to the co's). Maybe this is why everybody left the two big circuits,

I just went through the boater payout at Amistad, they had 130 pro's at $1,900 per = $247,000 in entry fees. They paid out $168,432....that is a 68% payout. Not the guy I talked to, but I think Jim Tutt has fished every Costa/Stren since they started, and he bailed....

4 "pro's" got checks less than their entry fees

Hey FLW...I think your customers are trying to tell you something with 130 boats at Amistad
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 04:30 AM

Yup, FLW has increased entries with no payout change. BASS kept the same entry for the opens and lowered the payouts.
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 04:37 AM

Yes, I believe the low turnout at Amistad was a huge stance against flw. But I know guys that would pay $4000 if thats what it cost.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 05:01 AM

Same with BFLs. Dont know where the money goes but doesnt sound like a great way to drum up participants. The saving grace might be all the hype that's been created by the high school stuff. Once those kids start pouring out into this stuff that might keep entries up. Atleast until they go broke
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 05:11 AM

Best way to make a million fishing is to start with 2 million
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 05:17 AM

there seem to be a new crop of donators each year if you look at some of the larger venues some of these guys havent cashed a check in years.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 10:44 AM

Maybe some of the BFL guys will quite drinking the coolaid and fish the ABA Open Series. Payouts are weigh better and the tournaments are top notch.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 02:14 PM

Maybe they had an increase in liability insurance after the guy in Florida drowned last year? Increase in airing the weigh-in maybe? (That coverage pretty much sucked by the way). Maybe guys who work for them wanted raises?

Guess we’ll have to see if all the tournaments are down or if it was just Amistad.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 02:50 PM

I’m sure the dates of the Amistad tournament had something to do with turn out as well.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 03:24 PM

Why, because they are a business trying to make money.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 05:58 PM

I’ve never understood how they draw any boats wiith the payouts.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 06:18 PM

Nobody wants to go to amistad except the guys who fish no matter the venue. It's not exactly great fishing
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Costa..why? - 01/06/19 07:39 PM

FLW sucks plain and simple. Can’t wait to see what some of their new youngner anglers can do... but besides that I’m not interested in their product
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 12:28 AM

The entries and payout were ridiculous. LIke posted above it could be a 5k entry to win 10k for first and plenty would sign up.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 06:51 PM

I've been amazed for years at the number of people that fish these things. Entry fee vs payout is just insane. I don't get the appeal of the Costa events.
Posted By: Justin Shelton

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 07:01 PM

The payout is low, but let’s not forget that there are no entry fees for the championship events. They’ve gotta get the cash from somewhere.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Shelton
The payout is low, but let’s not forget that there are no entry fees for the championship events. They’ve gotta get the cash from somewhere.

This is a good point. I've been hesitant to join the amateur BASS and FLW events because the entry/payout ratio isn't as good as some of the local circuits. However, the local circuits don't always have pathways to qualify to regional or national events, much less qualify for the Cup or the Classic. Some don't care about leaving the state, some like to advance to a regional or a championship somewhere they haven't been to before. I think the BASS and FLW events have more to offer folks in the later category.
Posted By: Bigguy1

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 07:34 PM

Why not increase each payout and have championship based on qualification but still have entry fees to fish it? Just so often unless you are in the top 4 or 5 you don't break even after expenses and entry fees.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Costa..why? - 01/07/19 09:15 PM

Hmmm there is still membership fees and I'm sure sponsorship cash that goes somewhere too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum