Texas Fishing Forum

skeeter trailer brakes

Posted By: captain-kilroy

skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 10:22 PM

What do you guys do when you have to back you trailer uphill. My trailer is a 2016 skeeter trailer. I had a barge trailer before that had a pin that would lock the tongue from sliding.
Been using a clamp and 2 nuts to keep the tongue from sliding. Any body have any better ideas. I have not looked at drilling a hole for a pin.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 10:35 PM

It don’t have an electric lockout?
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 10:40 PM

It should disengage the brakes when you put your truck in reverse unless you’re only using the 4 wire connector.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 10:46 PM

They are hydraulic only as far as I know. I have a hitch that goes on the front of my tractor to move the boat in and out of my garage like for washing it. I will not move the boat backwards
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by captain-kilroy
What do you guys do when you have to back you trailer uphill. My trailer is a 2016 skeeter trailer. I had a barge trailer before that had a pin that would lock the tongue from sliding.
Been using a clamp and 2 nuts to keep the tongue from sliding. Any body have any better ideas. I have not looked at drilling a hole for a pin.

That's what I did captain, drilled a hole in the top of the actuator with the actuator fully extended and made a pin to fit it. Have to pin it everytime I'm backing.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by skeeter james
It should disengage the brakes when you put your truck in reverse unless you’re only using the 4 wire connector.

This^^^^^. It sounds like you're using a 4 flat connector from the boat to the truck.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 11:31 PM

Thanks. I am going to drill it for a pin. That was the best Idea I could think of. Just wanted to make sure someone else did it first. lol

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/22/18 11:33 PM

there is no electric on them, they are hydraulic disc. put the tongue in and the brakes engage
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:01 AM

I 100% sure they should not lock up if everything is working properly while backing up a hill.... the solienoid on the brake cylinder will keep them from locking when u go in reverse if ur bckup light fuse in ur truck is blown this will keep it from working. I guarantee your either using a 4 pin connector that does not have the backup light connector, your fuse is blown, or your backup solenoid is messed up. There is zero reason to need a lock out or drill a hole, the reason it will not go backwards while hooked to a tractor hitch is because it’s not hook up a connector telling the backup solidnoid when ur in reverse
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:02 AM

There is no reason to need a lockout if u need one something is broken or not working properly no reason to red neck somthing when u could just fix the issue

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
I 100% sure they should not lock up if everything is working properly while backing up a hill.... the solienoid on the brake cylinder will keep them from locking when u go in reverse if ur bckup light fuse in ur truck is blown this will keep it from working. I guarantee your either using a 4 pin connector that does not have the backup light connector, your fuse is blown, or your backup solenoid is messed up. There is zero reason to need a lock out or drill a hole, the reason it will not go backwards while hooked to a tractor hitch is because it’s not hook up a connector telling the backup solidnoid when ur in reverse

I don't think hydraulic brakes have a solenoid. The actuator makes the brakes work by going in and out. When you stop or back up the actuator pushes back fluid to the wheel cylinders which actuate the disc brakes. At least that's how it works on my Skeeter trailer. My Bass Cat trailer was the same way. Electric brakes are a whole different animal.
Posted By: DUNCAN553

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:21 AM

So it sounds like the main issue is when backing into the garage with the tractor. If you do not have the wires hooked up so that the brakes will release when back up lights are on,then yes the trailer brakes will lock up due to the surge brake on the trailer tongue will engage. The make a surge brake lock out bolt that you can slide in the grove on the trailer tongue next to where the surge brake moves. If you are going ot move the trailer around very much, I would hold it in place with some electrical tape so it doesn't fall out. here is a link for what I am talking about. Hope this helps and will prevent any damage to your trailer by drilling into it.
Posted By: DUNCAN553

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:23 AM

sorry here is link
https://www.bakesonline.com/trailer...4pImFD61mzdZ1lS2B4Xj65eBMqRoCI3AQAvD_BwE

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:24 AM

Yep, that will work too.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

I don't think hydraulic brakes have a solenoid. The actuator makes the brakes work by going in and out. When you stop or back up the actuator pushes back fluid to the wheel cylinders which actuate the disc brakes. At least that's how it works on my Skeeter trailer. My Bass Cat trailer was the same way. Electric brakes are a whole different animal.

The solenoid is in the tongue, it is for backing up. It locks the tongue so it doesnt compress when you have your reverse lights on.

Without that you need a lockout to put in the oval slot on the tongue, it should have came with your boat. Its in the post above this one. There are also big orange magnetic ones, I use that type because it stays in all the time vs the temp ones fall out as soon as you move forward... If you use the temp one its best to wire it to the tongue so its easily available when needed.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:31 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-LOCK-OUT-KEY-FOR-U-F-P-TYPE-SURGE-BRAKES-BACK-UP-BUDDY/120941559235?hash=item1c28adbdc3:g:vlEAAOSwhbJbEbN9:rk:1:pf:0

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by captain-kilroy
Thanks. I am going to drill it for a pin. That was the best Idea I could think of. Just wanted to make sure someone else did it first. lol

This works fine for my trailer
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 12:45 AM

Have you checked the blue wire inside the tongue? The blue wire is the brake wire and can get unplugged, on my 2016 ez loader skeeter trailer, it is a male and female plug that is not that strong, I got rid of the plug and crimped them together.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 01:12 AM

Man the information given here is hillarious. The power to the reverse lights release the trailer breaks when backing up, so if wired correctly and working correctly you could back up Mount Everest without rigging up some type of “do it for dale” contraption
Posted By: rj74955

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 01:16 AM

Gig em and captain, are you using a 4 flat connector? Do you have backup lights on your trailers? I can't imagine a 2016 trailer not having a solenoid even if it has surge brakes. Like Jake said, your backup lights, or 5th pin, is what activates the solenoid.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 01:28 AM

Ok I just crawled under the trailer and there is a solenoid on it. So I apologize for saying that it wasn't on there. I know the backup lights work on the trailer so I guess I will check and see if there is power to the solenoid when the truck is in reverse. I know it has never worked since I have owned the trailer. Thanks guys for all the info. Yes I do believe in fixing it right and not rednecking it. My owners manual has nothing in it about the solenoid. Mainly because the owners manual covers several hitches. Thanks again for forcing me to look further at the situation. It is the seven way plug rv style

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955
Gig em and captain, are you using a 4 flat connector? Do you have backup lights on your trailers? I can't imagine a 2016 trailer not having a solenoid even if it has surge brakes. Like Jake said, your backup lights, or 5th pin, is what activates the solenoid.

No back up lights on my trailer but I have a 2018 truck and the 4 pin connector plugs into a big 7 pin round connector that hooks to the truck. I've replaced the factory actuator. I'm thinking captain has the same trailer hook up as mine.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Clark3
Man the information given here is hillarious. The power to the reverse lights release the trailer breaks when backing up, so if wired correctly and working correctly you could back up Mount Everest without rigging up some type of “do it for dale” contraption

Talk about hillarious. Power from the backup lights dont release the brakes. It powers a solenoid that blocks the hydraulic fluid from transferring from the master cylinder to the wheel calibers. This prevents the brakes from applying.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Talk about hillarious. Power from the backup lights dont release the brakes. It powers a solenoid that blocks the hydraulic fluid from transferring from the master cylinder to the wheel calibers. This prevents the brakes from applying.

Scratching the bottom of the barrel there. Sorry I missed the solenoid in my discription. Point being when you put it in. Reverse it requires power to release the breaks, be it by solenoid, or by a little garden gnome that lives next to the master cylinder
Posted By: 361V

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 02:50 AM

Have someone stand by solenoid while you put vehicle in reverse. You state reverse lights are working on tow vehicle and trailer. They should hear a “click” at solenoid if it’s activating.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 02:51 AM

Again, it don't release the brakes. It prevents them from being applied. Big difference.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 03:25 AM

Boy have you got it wrong. but thanks for the laugh.
Posted By: jcastleman

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 04:57 AM

This is what I use when moving the trailer around with my side by side. 2018 Skeeter. This part crimps on at your tongue and has a strong magnet. Replaces the "key" that Skeeter no longer supplies on their trailers.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sea...ler_Brake_Release_Key/descpage-SFRM.html

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Explain it then.

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/23/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Explain it then.

Explain it again? I already explained it in this thread it hasnt changed since then.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/24/18 01:34 AM

tape a Nickle in the slot or fix the backup wire. one of the two works. your choice.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/24/18 01:35 AM

Check your fuses, I had the same issue and it was a blown fuse... I think the reverse license plate light or something goofy like that

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/24/18 02:17 AM

Ok. After sitting and thinking about my situation the reason I am having trouble is I am already pointing down hill when I go to reverse. The solenoid is working correctly except that the brakes are applied with I go to reverse. Today I place a wheel chock in front of the boat trailer and rolled forward enough to take the pressure of the tongue then went to reverse and it backed up fine.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: skeeter trailer brakes - 12/24/18 04:23 PM

Don’t think I would be drilling anything near the tongue , just fix it .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum