Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyns swim jig rod?

Posted By: dhelms

Dobyns swim jig rod? - 11/30/18 11:59 PM

Anybody use a champion xp, model DC 683C, for swim jigs? Paul Mueller suggests using a 733. Just wondering if the shorter rod will affect the action in the tip.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 12:05 AM

I use a 734 for swim jigs

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 12:48 AM

Yea, I’m getting a shorter rod for my high schooler. Just wondering how,or if, the tip actions change with different lengths. Hopefully the tip won’t be too stiff with the shorter rod.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 01:12 AM

Is your high schooler short or is there another reason you're looking at a 6'8" rod for this technique?

I also use the 734. I actually carry three 734's in my boat because it's a great all around rod. The only reason I would consider a 6'8" rod for swim jigs, spinnerbaits, chatter baits, or something of the sort is if I was planning on skipping docks or working really heavy cover and trying to make pinpoint casts. Outside of those reasons, I think the longer rod is better for those baits.

Sorry if that's not the feed back you're searching for. I can't provide any direct feedback on the 683.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 01:36 AM

Not really short. But definitely going to be skipping the jigs. Most of the areas they’ll fish are cypress tree lakes. Pitching & skipping under the LOW hanging limbs is essential.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by dhelms
Not really short. But definitely going to be skipping the jigs. Most of the areas they’ll fish are cypress tree lakes. Pitching & skipping under the LOW hanging limbs is essential.

thumb
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 04:25 AM

Fury 704 is what I use for a swimjig rod. I have had VERY good results with the Fury series!

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 01:34 PM

Everyone is using a 4 power. Is the 3 too light?
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 02:32 PM

3 is too light for me. I use a 734 as well
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 06:44 PM

I am 6ft tall and use the 683 for swim jigs up to 3/8oz in weight. I like to skip them at times and I can do that better with the shorter rod. I use my 734 Dobyns Siera for buzzbaits. Awesome rods.

The 683 has plenty back bone for swim jigs and or Tx. rigs. I also use a 683 for a Tx. rigged baby brush hog. With the 3 power you get great tip action for lighter baits and it still has plenty of backbone.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/01/18 11:44 PM

Not a swim jig rod, but I recently purchased a Fury 735 for frogging and smaller swimbaits, and it performs well. Probably would be a good C-rig rod as well.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/02/18 12:06 AM

Ezbassin, you described exactly what we’ll be doing. Pitching/skipping, & texas rigged plastics.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/02/18 04:14 AM

If you want one in a 4 power check out the Sierra 684. I have one of those and really like it and it is more cost effective than the Champion. The Fury is a good rod also, especially at their price point.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/02/18 01:49 PM

I have a correction to make. My Dobyns Champion that I use for swim jigs is a 684, not a 683. The 683 I have is a Powell Max that I use for the Tx. rigged baby brush hog. Check out the Sierra line of rods like i mentioned above. I think you will like it.
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/07/18 08:55 PM

I used a DX HP 743 for 3/8oz. swim jigs with fluoro with no issue, but have since changed over to NRX. But it worked fine unless throwing in some really nasty stuff.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/07/18 11:42 PM

Another vote for the 734 but since you have said that’s too long and if the Champion line is in your price point go with the 684. Really nice for really less $$$? The Fury series is a good value on a real nice rod. In the Fury line I’d go with the 704 and if 7’ is still to long go with the 6’6” 664. I remember when 6’6” was considered a long rod but I just don’t hardly own a rod under 7’ anymore(just me). And YES almost everyone is going to tell you to go w/a 4 power. Don’t let their heavy rating fool you. To me the 4 power is at best MH(again that’s me) and it’s got a fast tip. I have a 733 and throw lighter lures and weightless plastics with it. Swim Jig? 4 power all the way. Look on their website for all the specs and models: http://dobynsrods.com/rods/
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/08/18 07:14 AM

I also use the 734. Great rod
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/08/18 11:21 PM

Another vote for the 734. I am only 5'8" tall and use it a lot. I guess I am weird. I throw mostly 8' rods for most applications. If he doesn't feel comfortable with the 734, go to the 684, But, I learned on longer rods, too. So, dunno, for him. I learned on 8' rods so I feel comfortable with them. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/09/18 02:11 AM

Hope I didn’t mess up, boys. I got him a 3 power
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/09/18 03:14 AM

3 power will work, but he needs to really swing into them or use braid.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/09/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by dhelms
Hope I didn’t mess up, boys. I got him a 3 power

Nothing wrong with 3 power. IMO the sensitivity is better then the 4's and they still have more then enough backbone.
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/09/18 07:07 PM

Beauty of Dobyns - IF you/he decide you'd rather have the 734 - Dobyns will exchange it. Just give them a call and discuss what you want to use it for and they can get you set. If he uses it and then decides he wants the 4 power, they will still accommodate and exchange for a very small price, if any.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/11/18 02:03 AM

The 3 power rod is a good one to have. There are many techniques that work well using a 3 power rod for.
Posted By: mwbasser

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/13/18 02:47 AM

Another vote for the 734, personally love the Sierra
Posted By: Fence Guy

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/13/18 11:42 AM

733 is a beautiful rod! I have 3 and I use them for so many different techniques. It’s my most versitile rod. That is a whole lot of rod for a high schooler. I’m a little jealous. I was fishingn lighting sticks until I was able to buy a nice rod myself. He’s got it made.

Re: Dobyns swim jig rod? - 12/13/18 08:18 PM

I hope it works for him. Ended up buying two 683’s. One for each kid. And yes, more than he needs & definitely more than I ever had growing up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum