Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken

Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 09:54 PM

I bought a pair of Kistler rods from a gentleman on BBC, I received then in a bent cardboard tube and both rods broken. Post office said I can file a claim, but the seller only insured them for $100.
I paid a lot more then that, and I paid thru PayPal.

So what would y'all do in this situation ??

Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 10:18 PM

I had that happen to me once when I sold a guy a rod off BBC. I only had $50 insurance on them so we agreed that I would pay for Dobyns to replace the rod. Not sure how Kistler does their warranty stuff, but I would first see if the guy will pay for what ever warranty fee Kistler will charge for replacement. If he doesn't want to pay for the rods to be fixed you can file a claim with pay pal so long as the payment was sent as "goods and services" if you sent as "friends and family" (to avoid the fee). You cannot open a claim to get your money back.

Hope this helps
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 10:36 PM

Show the seller and explain it, have him file the claim (especially since he only insured for $100), get your money back from paypal if you have to.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 10:57 PM

File a claim with PayPal.
Posted By: FWFish

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 11:03 PM

I would ask him for a refund first, if he refuses, then I would file a claim with PayPal to get your money back and let him deal with the shipping insurance to recoup some of his money. He should have purchased the right amount of insurance to cover the shipment.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 11:10 PM

You paid for 2 unbroken rods. You did not pack and ship them. This is out of your control as a buyer and thecrest falls hack on the seller. He needs to refund you ASAP. It's his mess to correct. You should be out nothing.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/09/18 11:13 PM

I had a similar thing happen to me and seller refunded my money and dealt with the shipping mis hap.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Marc-62
Get a dowel rod that fits securely inside the rods cut about a foot long and epoxy glue the dowel rod inside the rod pieces wipe off excess epoxy at connection. When you are done nobody knows but you that they where broke. You loose a small amount of rod action but at least you still get to use your new rods.

Really?
Posted By: skins84

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 12:54 AM

Exactly what I was thinking Okie Poke.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Get a dowel rod that fits securely inside the rods cut about a foot long and epoxy glue the dowel rod inside the rod pieces wipe off excess epoxy at connection. When you are done nobody knows but you that they where broke. You loose a small amount of rod action but at least you still get to use your new rods.

Really?

thumb
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 12:58 AM

Now I can buy all my new Kistler Rods at Hobby Lobby!!!! laugh
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Now I can buy all my new Kistler Rods at Hobby Lobby!!!! laugh

That’s the craziest thing I have heard in while
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 01:50 AM

Takes a serious amount of pressure to bend one of those tubes. I received a brand new one like that before though and thank goodness it wasn’t broken. Made me sweat for a minute though.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 02:04 AM

I’ll only ship my rods in a pvc tube...isn’t expensive at all
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 02:06 AM

insurance is cheap,..I don't know why it was undersured,...duh.
now you're your wanting to know how to fix your problem...sounds like someone is
stuck with the short end of this deal. bang
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

Really?

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 04:34 AM

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/arti...-covered-faq645

"If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund."

Since rods arrived broken, then rods are significantly not as described.

Immediately file a claim with PayPal Resolution Center in link above. And buyer should refund your full payment or PayPal will.

You should get your payment back. Not full rod value or replacement rods.

Seller can file Post Office claim to recoup his insured amount.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 11:38 AM

USPS and UPS regularly deny claims for damages if you ship rods in a cardboard tube. They consider those tubes improper packing. Use PVC.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 12:12 PM

This stinks to hi heaven. Even the breaks look too clean. I think the guy sent you broken rods in a bent tube.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 03:41 PM

File a claim in PayPal in the required timeframe.

Most likely seller contact you and refund your full payment.

Let's don't trash the seller until he responds.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/10/18 05:13 PM

Has the seller or PayPal kissed you off already or did you decide to attempt to “fix” the problem on the Texas Fishing Forum with views and opinions? If you have not: follow the claim process 1st. Might be pleasantly surprised. Good Luck & hope it works out for you!
Posted By: crappie brother

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 03:46 PM

Let him know you are going to open a claim with Paypal (if paid for by standard funds). He will have an option then to refund your money. If he doesn't act or respond then open the claim. That will immediately freeze his Paypal account and he will have to address the situation. Like said already he can just refund your purchase price and he can deal with getting is insured amount from the post office. He can just loose the difference since he under insured it. Will just go down as a business lesson for him!
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 04:54 PM

This happens all the time. Sadly USPS treats packages horrible and doesn't care until you put 1000 insurance on a rod tube they will pretty much hand delivery it then.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 05:18 PM

I bought a custom rod some years back the seller shipped it in a PVC pipe with a wooden dowel rod also in it to prevent breakage. This is also the way I have shipped them since.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 05:41 PM

File the claim. Get $100 from the post office and the rest from the seller.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 09:46 PM

The seller has to file the claim with USPS. The buyer files claim with PayPal.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/11/18 10:30 PM

I bought 2 Falcon Trap Casters on Ebay that the handle below the reel seat was crushed on both rods. I got the pair for $50. I did exactly what okiepoke suggested. I cut the knob off the end, inserted a dowel rod.. about 7/16 diameter into the shattered handle up to the reel seat, epoxy glued it all together, then wrapped the rod with black electrical tape. I was able to insert the end of the dowel rod into the sawed off knob and again epoxied it. The rods fish great.
I'm not sure that I would do the same thing on a break in a rod above the reel seat.. I think that would mess with the action greatly.
BD
Posted By: BSanders

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/12/18 02:18 PM

File a claim through Paypal, that simple!
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/12/18 03:54 PM

I don't care what they were insured for. They were clearly broken in transit and I would think they would be fully responsible. I'm sure they're covered legally though and they probably won't cover the damages out of the kindness of their heart
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/12/18 08:03 PM

***** Update *****
After some back and forth in a polite manner, seller has agreed to refund me my
money, and he is going to file a claim to get $100 back from post office.
I did send him all the pictures of the damaged tube and broke rods.

I didn't want to come off as a dick and file a PayPal claim till I could see if we could work
this all out. Not his fault that they got damaged, but was his fault he only had $100 worth of insurance.

And to others that responded, yes, according to my postmaster general, the seller has to file the claim with the post office.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/13/18 10:07 AM

for those of you who speak of using cardboard tubes vs pvc etc, either can easily break in transit. The key is to insure it for the proper amount. UPS and FedEx have assembly lines of packages that go through what looks like a rollercoaster of trails sometimes to end up at the right dock for shipment. Packages back up and push other packages forward. This cam bend/break even pvc. I ordered a few rods via Amazon and was amazed they only came in a long cardboard box. All three I ordered were damaged. Thankfully Amazon is exceptional about returns. The last rods I bought are made near Lake Conroe and were under warranty, so I took them there for repair.
Here's a good article on shipping rods- http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/23771255/Shipping%20a%20fishing%20rod
Posted By: rookyboy

Re: Fishing rods bought, fishing rods broken - 11/13/18 10:37 AM

Paypal will be your friend on this one as long as you paid for goods and services!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum