Texas Fishing Forum

Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth?

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 01:47 PM

Well, Sunday, with nothing working, I tied one on. Interesting next few hours.

I was in 20-25 ft. I saw huge schools of shad and thought, here goes. I dropped it and started ripping it up and down. Caught a few small whites, then BAM! A solid 5 pound largemouth. From 25 ft. Then a few minutes later, a couple really big hybrids. Then BAMMMM! I thought it was gonna be a huge bass. It was a 9-10 pound channel cat. Hmmmm. Then a few more hybrids.

Spoons work. Almost too good. They catch almost anything.

What successes have you guys had targeting largemouths with the dam thing?

All in all, it turned a boring day of whisping a fairy wand with a senko into a fun day. But not what I was expecting.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 01:49 PM

I like using them right after a huge cold front comes through. Especially this time of the year. And you do catch everything on them.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:16 PM

One of my favorite ways to fish for LMB.
When they hit a spoon, it can be vicious.
Will catch any fish that swims.

Best this time of year and summer for the bigger spoons.

Thanksgiving to Valentines day, blade baits and smaller spoons.
Posted By: mox22

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:22 PM

What kind of spoon?

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:24 PM

I tried two different ones. A Johnson’s Silver Minnow. A big one. The other was a Cotton Cordell silver slab type. Neither, I think, were actually made as black bass lures.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: mox22
What kind of spoon?

Yeah what kind. There was mention of a particular spoon made locally I believe in the Lake Fork area on another thread and guys were raving about it. Can't find the thread but with winter coming on I'd like to try one. Seem like it had a guys name on it.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:34 PM

Joe Spaits makes the most popular spoon in the Lake Fork area.
Posted By: D Egge

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:41 PM

I think Joe sells them on tackle warehouse too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQedgDO40E

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Joe Spaits makes the most popular spoon in the Lake Fork area.

That's it, thanks CCT.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:44 PM

Spoon fishing is fun no doubt! The fish on Fork have been on it pretty good. Even before Berkley. Spait, Nichols, and Silver Dollar (striper spoon) are mainly what I throw.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 02:52 PM

During the fall and winter I usually use a 3/4 oz Hopkins spoon. It is close in size to thwnshad that are dying during and after a front.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: mox22
What kind of spoon?

Yeah what kind. There was mention of a particular spoon made locally I believe in the Lake Fork area on another thread and guys were raving about it. Can't find the thread but with winter coming on I'd like to try one. Seem like it had a guys name on it.

https://smashtechbaits.com/t/big-joe-spaites-flutter-spoons

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 03:05 PM

Joe Spaits spoon is the popular one on Fork. 6th Sense and Nichols makes a larger spoon that works great as well.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 05:00 PM

Do you guys use a swivel on these (to eliminate line twist) or tie directly to the split ring? Or is line twist just something you live with?

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 05:01 PM

Swivel definitely.

I've experimented with the swivel directly on the split ring vs swivel 3 feet up from the split ring.

Think I like the swivel 3 feet up from the split ring better--more erratic gliding and wobbling.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
Do you guys use a swivel on these (to eliminate line twist) or tie directly to the split ring? Or is line twist just something you live with?

Absolutely!
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 05:03 PM

Love spoon fishing.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 07:12 PM

Acme Sidewinder is one that has worked well for me on Fork in either orange/gold or nickel/chartreuse.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Acme_Tac...AiABEgJgsvD_BwE
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 07:53 PM

You guys all talking about flutter spoons. Those aren't jigging spoons. WAY 2 different baits. Flutter spoons flutter down jigging spoons drop like a rock. Each have their place. I like using a jogging spoon in the heat of summer and in the dead cold of winter. Have caught alot of bass, and everything else that swims, on jigging spoons with the largest bass around 8 pounds on lake Conroe out of a brush pile. Have had numerous days where a spoon was the only bait they would hit when schooled up out deep.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 11:24 PM

I like Spooning!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 11:30 PM

I netted my Dads PB on Amistad years ago, 11 lb 7 oz, on a slab in ultra deep water in the dead of winter. We still talk about that day, he was sure he had on a gasper goo , the fish surfaced and then we both about carped ourselves.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/05/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
You guys all talking about flutter spoons. Those aren't jigging spoons. WAY 2 different baits. Flutter spoons flutter down jigging spoons drop like a rock. Each have their place. I like using a jogging spoon in the heat of summer and in the dead cold of winter. Have caught alot of bass, and everything else that swims, on jigging spoons with the largest bass around 8 pounds on lake Conroe out of a brush pile. Have had numerous days where a spoon was the only bait they would hit when schooled up out deep.

So, yesterday was my first time trying the technique. What is the main differences between jiggin and flutter?

The shape? The two different ones I tried yesterday....was the Johnson Silver Minnow a flutter? And the Cotton Cordell a jiggin? The Cordell dropped like a rock and I could cast the entire 110 yards off the reel if I wanted to. The Johnson, not so much.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

So, yesterday was my first time trying the technique. What is the main differences between jiggin and flutter?

The shape? The two different ones I tried yesterday....was the Johnson Silver Minnow a flutter? And the Cotton Cordell a jiggin? The Cordell dropped like a rock and I could cast the entire 110 yards off the reel if I wanted to. The Johnson, not so much.

I'm not an expert Steez but I have both and the difference I see is the jigging spoon is more or less flat and falls fast and the flutter spoon is curved and falls slower. Next time I go to Fork I'm gonna stop by Joe Spaits place and pick up one of his spoons. I'm just wondering if you hang one, and it's bound to happen on Fork, if a lure knocker will get it loose. Don't wanna lose many of those $9 spoons.
Posted By: Court

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I'm not an expert Steez but I have both and the difference I see is the jigging spoon is more or less flat and falls fast and the flutter spoon is curved and falls slower. Next time I go to Fork I'm gonna stop by Joe Spaits place and pick up one of his spoons. I'm just wondering if you hang one, and it's bound to happen on Fork, if a lure knocker will get it loose. Don't wanna lose many of those $9 spoons.

You would be surprised how easy it is to get a big flutter spoon un hung without a knocker. If your not fishing it in timber, your leaving some behind, great way to get suspended fish from timber. The jigging spoon, now you'll lose a few of those. War eagle and Finch Nasty has a good one around Fork, the F.N. it is close to the old KT spoon that was so good.

Posted By: 361V

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 12:40 AM

Lake Clark?

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Lake Clark?

Possibly. offtopic

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 12:54 AM

Just kidding.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 01:05 AM

Ken Smith posted some videos on YouTube, with Clark Reehm, understanding electronics.
Well he also has a eight part series with Albert Collins and Glen Freeman fishing deep water on Rayburn.
They share some of their insights on using Spoons.
Very informative!!

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Ken Smith posted some videos on YouTube, with Clark Reehm, understanding electronics.
Well he also has a eight part series with Albert Collins and Glen Freeman fishing deep water on Rayburn.
They share some of their insights on using Spoons.
Very informative!!

Yes I watched everyone of those and paid extra attention to Collins commentary about Jigging spoons. Good enough for him, good enough for me. I've used them quite a bit for sandies and stripers but hardly ever for blacks but that's gonna change.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 01:46 AM

For those that use a real 5 inch flutter spoon, try this some day when nothing is working: lower a 5 inch Joe Spaits flutter spoon with the mylar dressed hook straight down and gently feel for bottom. Try to keep it a couple of inches off bottom and Slowly lower rod tip every few seconds just to make sure you have it at right depth (a few inches off bottom). You may be pleasantly surprised at the results. I normally use it the way its intended but almost had rod jerked out of kayak when I had stopped to light up a smoke one day and set it down. Since that day on Monti, I've had some great results intentionally fishing it that way on Fork and Naconiche.

I showed up on Fork one Saturday last year when I didn't realize the Berkley tournament was going on and had plenty of witnesses watch me pull some mid slot fish one after another in 8 feet of timber using the technique.

I've bought some of Joe's tiny inch long jigging spoons (lead with dressed hook) but have never used them. He has caught a 12+ on the little ones.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 02:03 AM

Spoons are pretty easy to use the weight and slack line jerking to free themselves if you are patient.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
For those that use a real 5 inch flutter spoon, try this some day when nothing is working: lower a 5 inch Joe Spaits flutter spoon with the mylar dressed hook straight down and gently feel for bottom. Try to keep it a couple of inches off bottom and Slowly lower rod tip every few seconds just to make sure you have it at right depth (a few inches off bottom). You may be pleasantly surprised at the results. I normally use it the way its intended but almost had rod jerked out of kayak when I had stopped to light up a smoke one day and set it down. Since that day on Monti, I've had some great results intentionally fishing it that way on Fork and Naconiche.

I showed up on Fork one Saturday last year when I didn't realize the Berkley tournament was going on and had plenty of witnesses watch me pull some mid slot fish one after another in 8 feet of timber using the technique.

I've bought some of Joe's tiny inch long jigging spoons (lead with dressed hook) but have never used them. He has caught a 12+ on the little ones.

Will do, thanks.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 03:15 AM

Spoons work great on largemouth!

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 01:02 PM

Yes the Cordell is a jigging spoon it is. Best fished vertically and left and drop ona slack line. Very erratic fall
Matches that of a dying shad in late fall. If you try to control the fall it takes the action out of the bait.

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094

Yes the Cordell is a jigging spoon it is. Best fished vertically and left and drop ona slack line. Very erratic fall
Matches that of a dying shad in late fall. If you try to control the fall it takes the action out of the bait.
That’s good to know. Thanks for the response.

Also, thanks for the suggestion to use a swivel a foot or two ahead of the spoon. I did add a Spro split ring and a spro swivel, directly to the spoon, but I think it may effect the action. IDK.

Gonna give the technique a go this weekend in a championship. I’m not gonna fixate on it, but I will keep one on deck.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 06:58 PM

Another vote for Joe Spaits spoons. Best I have found and they WORK like no bodies business. If you compare spoons side by side, you will notice, or USED to be noticed, that Spaits spoons are just a little heavier and flutter differently. At least, they USED to be. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 07:11 PM

Kastmaster.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Jiggin’ Spoons for largemouth? - 11/06/18 07:15 PM

Have been toying with the spoon technique last two years for largemouth , starting to realize 25 to 40 ft . deep may be the new 10 to 20 ft. , also talking year round except may be the spawning cycle .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum