Texas Fishing Forum

What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with?

Posted By: sight fisher

What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 09/30/18 11:44 PM

What baits have you heard of that caught an official 13+ ShareLunker with? I know Ethel who was ShareLunker #1 was caught off an Orginal Stanley Jig and a Hale Craw.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 12:44 AM

Go to tpwd website and you can look this up for yourself. They will even tell you what moon phase it was when the true share lunker was caught.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 01:13 AM

live minnow on a crappie pole !
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: sight fisher
What baits have you heard of that caught an official 13+ ShareLunker with? I know Ethel who was ShareLunker #1 was caught off an Orginal Stanley Jig and a Hale Craw.

Just about every bait made. Too many to list. You can go to TPWD and search thru every fish recorded and it tells what they were caught on.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/sharelunker/
Posted By: Champion1

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 06:32 PM

Jig
Posted By: johntvette

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 06:53 PM

Which leads to another question (the elephant in the room): where have they all gone? Nobody seems to be talking about the steep decline in texas big bass.
Posted By: doctorb

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 08:24 PM

[quote=johntvette]Which leads to another question (the elephant in the room): where have they all gone? Nobody seems to be talking about the steep decline in texas big bass. [/quote

Probably the single biggest factor is the drought we had. Not sure of the second biggest reason. My guess would be tournament mortality.

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 08:45 PM

Yeah their website only gives out some information not much after the last couple of years.

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 08:45 PM

Yeah their website only gives out some information not much after the last couple of years.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 08:59 PM

Crappie jigs have done some work on them
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 09:20 PM

I’m curious to see the statistic of how many of the fish were caught sight fishing compared to just fishing.
I’m guessing that the Jig/crankbait dominate the numbers.
Biggest fish in my boat have come off of multiple presentations. Swimbait, Dropshot, Tx Rig, Shakey head
Posted By: Garett

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 09:44 PM

Here is a link to my post last year on some sharelunker data. I’ve been thinking about re-running the data for this year.

Sharelunker Analytics

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 09:50 PM

In the 90's, there were like 30 of these things caught every year. Now, we're lucky if there is six.

Also, look at the top 50 bass caught in Texas. Not many are from this century. This struck me as odd, considering the advancements in equipment. Where have the lunkers gone?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: johntvette
In the 90's, there were like 30 of these things caught every year. Now, we're lucky if there is six.

Also, look at the top 50 bass caught in Texas. Not many are from this century. This struck me as odd, considering the advancements in equipment. Where have the lurkers gone?

They've gone the way of lakes maturing and being less fertile, pure Florida and F1 genes being watered down with age, loss of habitat due to invasive aquatics control and natural loss of cover (and silting) as lakes age. Droughts come and go, but the most recent was severe and prolonged. That lack of water certainly had an impact, too.

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 10:02 PM

The watering down of the Florida strain was something I suspected. Not that I've been in danger of catching any top 50.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/01/18 10:11 PM

Mine was on a cinnamon blue wave worm Carolina rigged, the 14.59 watermelon chatter bait
Posted By: Rducky

Re: What baits have heard of that caught official 13+ ShareLunker with? - 10/02/18 01:16 AM

Mine was before the share program but it came on 8" plum worm texas rigged in about 3' of water caught from Fork in September of 1985
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum