Texas Fishing Forum

Lake waco

Posted By: coachmatt

Lake waco - 09/17/18 12:39 PM

After all the rain the past couple of weeks I was wondering what the lake looks like? Did it get muddy?
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Lake waco - 09/17/18 01:24 PM

I was there last Monday and the lake looked good on the north end, has not come up much. My friend was out there Sat. on the south end close to the South Bosque area and it was not muddy.

Re: Lake waco - 09/17/18 02:35 PM

i was hoping it had come up more than that

Re: Lake waco - 09/17/18 06:01 PM

Most of the rain went east or west of us.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake waco - 09/18/18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: harvey walker
Most of the rain went east or west of us.

Amazing how rain consistently "misses" in Texas.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Lake waco - 09/18/18 05:46 AM

Looks lower than it was.

Re: Lake waco - 09/19/18 12:50 PM

If you watch the weather reports you can see how the rain bypasses Waco. It amazes me how all of y'all that have great lakes in your area came to Waco to fish. If I could I go to a lot better lakes than Waco. We have no weed or grass beds just timber, and that has decilne in the past few years. There is not that much in the way of rocky points either.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Lake waco - 09/19/18 01:14 PM

If you watch the weather reports you can see how the rain bypasses Waco. It amazes me how all of y'all that have great lakes in your area came to Waco to fish. If I could I go to a lot better lakes than Waco. We have no weed or grass beds just timber, and that has decilne in the past few years. There is not that much in the way of rocky points either.

Agreed. I live 5 minutes from the lake and I try to fish elsewhere any time I get the chance.
Posted By: smsimcik

Re: Lake waco - 09/19/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Txfiremn

Agreed. I live 5 minutes from the lake and I try to fish elsewhere any time I get the chance.

I agree with all of the above.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake waco - 09/19/18 08:33 PM

4 fish no keepers
5 fish one keeper
1 fish one keeper
2 fish one keeper
2 fish 2 keepers
2 fish 1 keeper
Reports from my friends in the last week.

Only 10 pounds won the high school tournament on sunday.

I also dont understand why so many people fish this lake. Its always a grind and getting worse every year.

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 01:10 PM

I think someone put Lake Waco on the top 25 lakes for bass list a few years back. Yes back in the late 80's when it had grass and weed beds it was a good bass lake but that was 30 years ago. My friend fished it last SAt. for 4 hour and only touched 2 fish and they were dinks.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 02:07 PM

I like it. Never had a bad trip there.
Posted By: fishinfool649

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 05:04 PM

If a lake takes 12 pounds consistently to make a check it sucks. And Waco sucks
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 06:12 PM

gonna be at some LEO training, this Sun/Mon/Tue right by the lake. Wont have my boat so i was gonna hit the bank, is it even worth the time? seems like some hate the place and others love it. never been there before.

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 08:19 PM

Bank fishing really sucks, very few spots you can get to. That's one reason I say the C. O.E. don't do a very good job here, if you don't have a boat.

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: smsimcik

We have a tournament there tomorrow or else I would go somewhere else. Sounds like it will be tough fishing.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Lake waco - 09/21/18 08:36 PM

coach sent u a pm
Posted By: smsimcik

Re: Lake waco - 09/22/18 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt
Originally Posted By: smsimcik

We have a tournament there tomorrow or else I would go somewhere else. Sounds like it will be tough fishing.

Tournaments. That's another reason bass fishing on this lake has declined in recent years. This lake is too small to support all the tournaments that are being held there. There's a tournament every Thurs. during the warm months and one almost every weekend. Tournament guys as well as locals beat the hell out of the bass in the few productive areas. Plus, we all know a certain percentage of tournament bass die after being released no matter how carefully they are handled. Who knows how many keeper bass are killed by tournament fisherman.There's also a lot of locals who fish to fill the freezer and aren't concerned with preserving the bass fishery. It's no wonder it fishes tough most of the time.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Lake waco - 09/22/18 04:01 PM

There is always a team that comes in with a heavy sack , bass are still there , harder to catch , not in the same place all the time .
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Lake waco - 09/22/18 07:49 PM

Thnx,

Wish i could drag my boat down,,,bad lake or not,,,it would be nice to get a hook wet after training
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Lake waco - 09/22/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
There is always a team that comes in with a heavy sack , bass are still there , harder to catch , not in the same place all the time .

The last four working man's winning weights are:
4 lbs
10.01 lbs
21.7 lbs w/ 8.10 BB
11.01 lbs

and the high school tourney was 11.18 lbs, it's been fishing tough.

Re: Lake waco - 09/28/18 12:58 PM

COACHMATT, how did you do with your tournament at Lake Waco?

a lot of people ask about lake because they are going to fish a tournament or a trip there but then you never hear how it went.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Lake waco - 09/28/18 01:32 PM

We had a tournament the same day as coach did. We caught a bunch of dinks. It had rained before the tournament so the fish were shallow. We are a 3 fish limit and it took over 10 lbs to win it. There were a lot of little fish caught from what I heard when talking to others. I did have a good one get me hung up and I had to break it off but that's fishing..WE caught most of ours on 1.0 crankbaits...

Re: Lake waco - 09/28/18 10:04 PM

Thanks, I went today and touch 5 dinks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum