Texas Fishing Forum

Line color? Clear, green, blue etc

Posted By: BigDSheldon

Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 03:53 PM

Looking for some feedback on the best line color for most Texas lakes and ponds. Either for main line and/or leader lines. Hoping to improve the hit rates
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 03:57 PM

fluorocarbon clear
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 04:28 PM

Red as it is the first color on the spectrum to disappear under water! Usually within just a few feet its invisible!

P.S. This means any RED crankbaits you have that dive more than a few feet are junk... please send them to me for proper disposal. PM for address.

Thanks!

**Oh and I like Stren Clear Blue when using mono. Otherwise straight power pro. Which is green.
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 06:08 PM

Clear
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 07:50 PM

Green
(the amber/brown Royal Bonyl was good “a few years ago”).
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 09:58 PM

I know it matters to a lot of people and maybe on some days it does. But BASS and FLW outlawed the A-rig because it was too effective and it looks like a wad of coat hangers coming through the water. Nobody seems to worry about a couple of treble hooks on a crankbait (not invisible) but swear by the line they throw them on. My take is it's the presentation of the bait, in the right area, fished at a speed that will trigger a strike. Now if you tell me certain lines help with those points, I'll buy it. A mono leader to absorb some shock - you bet. But not color. Just my opinion from 50+ years of fishing.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/11/18 10:14 PM

Stren Original clear.
Posted By: billclay

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/12/18 12:31 AM

I've been using blue camo braid with a fluorocarbon leader a lot this year.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/12/18 12:45 AM

Yes and no. You’re comparing fast moving baits for reaction bite. Drop shot, trig, jig and Carolina rig sit more still and try to intise a bite if there’s not a reaction bite first. Floro clear unless dirty then just go heavy stuff.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/12/18 11:35 PM

Clear blue fluorescent, main line and leader.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/13/18 12:15 AM

AN 40 Super Silver Thread copolymer in green and green power pro braid.....I've been to fishing seminars where pros stated that green line is the only color line that cannot be detected by underwater photography.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/13/18 12:46 AM

Clear fluorocarbon.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/13/18 12:49 AM

Green Fluorocarbon.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/16/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Red as it is the first color on the spectrum to disappear under water! Usually within just a few feet its invisible!

P.S. This means any RED crankbaits you have that dive more than a few feet are junk... please send them to me for proper disposal. PM for address.

Thanks!

**Oh and I like Stren Clear Blue when using mono. Otherwise straight power pro. Which is green.

Red does not disappear underwater.
Posted By: Stratos2011

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/17/18 01:55 AM

I use Cajun red. In my opinion it’s the mostabrasion resistant. I don’t have to re tie very often.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/17/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Thanks!

Red does not disappear underwater.

Exactly. Although I believe Dan was being sarcastic.

I’d like to know how much money has been made based on the myth that red hooks and red line “disappears”.

The color red disappears, but your line and hooks don’t become invisible, they just appear a different color.

I use clear fluoro and green mono and green braid.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/17/18 05:11 AM

I use McCoys Mean Green on everything, EXCEPT my C-rig rod. If I use it there, I pout on 20# or higher, too much stretch for me. But T-rigs? I use McCoys Mean Green for everything else. It is a slimmer line that like lb test mono's, so it disappears relatively easily from view, at least to me it does, can't speak for the fish. Keeping records, though, I get more bites than my partners using mono. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/18/18 01:29 AM

I prefer clear blue, but haven't seen any significant reduction in the number of fish I boat on green, or even orange or yellow Sufix 832 braid. Might make a lot of difference in crystal-clear water, but I've caught a ton of bass on 20# clear blue mono from that kind of lake, too.
Posted By: Ranger1960

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/18/18 01:48 AM

I like to use anything clear and at
least 50 lb test that way when the bass fisherman get hung up in my line I broke off the week before they never get there lures back ……………………….. hammer
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/20/18 11:36 PM

I catch a lot of fish in 20+ ft of water on a redbug shad worn on a drop shot which is a red worm, so it works pretty well for being invisible....Bass seem to be able to find it just fine.
Posted By: Kuhuna

Re: Line color? Clear, green, blue etc - 09/20/18 11:55 PM

I used to spend a lot of money on expensive line and recently decided to experiment. Changed all my line to Big Game green and clear and have seen zero reduction in my numbers. The biggest thing I have noticed is I no longer break off off or have knots break like I did when fishing with fluorocarbon. I do used braid on a couple of my rigs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum