Texas Fishing Forum

Someone explain rods to me

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Someone explain rods to me - 08/25/18 09:09 PM

Lower end rods, like Daiwa Laguna. Do they only make them for a set amount of time then change the name and then sell them under the new name? Academy doesn’t have Then anymore.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/25/18 09:47 PM

I have a Laguna MH spinning I use for flukes—purchased at Wmart for $20 when they cleared them out 2-3 years ago—Wmart doesn’t carry them in store anymore either

I see the Laguna is still available on Amazon, Tackle Direct, and FishUSA

I’ve noticed that in February, stores start to display the current year’s inventory
They try to clear out the previous year’s inventory December and January

Academy probably cleared them out last year
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/25/18 10:43 PM

You don't like the "new and improved" rods that replace them?

Just kidding.

I think there is only a handful of rods that have a long shelf life, and usually it's not the entry level stuff. It's too easy to make a running change on a Chinese made product. The higher end stuff, not so much.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/25/18 11:27 PM

Frank
As someone that was once a scratch golfer, you should know that low end product is always changing to catch novice, to first time buyers. They just change the name, color or packin to get a new customer.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/25/18 11:31 PM

Just returned from the academy in Denton. They still have the Laguna. I prefer the Tatula which academy does not carry in all stores.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/26/18 02:27 PM

Daiwa is one of the only manufacturers with their own factory.

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/26/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
Frank
As someone that was once a scratch golfer, you should know that low end product is always changing to catch novice, to first time buyers. They just change the name, color or packin to get a new customer.

Yeah, I figured that was the case frown. I just really like theae rods and and how easy they were to acquire if I broke one.

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/26/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DBGSIG
Just returned from the academy in Denton. They still have the Laguna. I prefer the Tatula which academy does not carry in all stores.

I’ve got 2 you can buy on the cheap. Don’t care for the Tatula.
Posted By: Pearlandtexan

Re: Someone explain rods to me - 08/26/18 06:50 PM

Just have one built the way you want it..........just sayin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum