Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience?

Posted By: MDM

Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 02:26 AM

With much fanfare Lowrance introduced this software update as the next great feature to elctronics. So what is the experience of those who have actually used it? From what little I’ve read about it seems it only works with Downscan. Has anyone really “found” fish with it that you could not identify with 2d or side scan, especially in brush? Can it tell a submerged limb from a 5 lb fish by return strength or density? Or lack of density from a fish’s air bladder?

Or is it all marketing hype?
Posted By: Steve PIII

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 02:42 AM

I think it just uses 2D info to overlay on the down image to sharpen the return. I found it distracting and turned it off.

I had no problem seeing fish on down scan before, and the fish reveal did not reveal any fish I couldn't already see. Just made the image pop.
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 03:03 AM

I thinks its ok, just like Steve said its 2d over the down imaging. Gives a different view. Its free, and if you don't like it you can always turn it off.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 01:34 PM

I've enjoyed the contrast and detail fish reveal provides, Still playing with pallet currently using 6.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 01:40 PM

Same here as everyone else.
Made the fish I could already see pop a bit.
I have turned it off also.
Might be good for someone just learning what to read on the graph but I think when you turn the contrast up even the tree limbs light up.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 01:45 PM

Odd. Thought this was another one of those "game changers." rolleyes
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 02:13 PM

Game changers are things like a trolling motor communicating with your electronics. They should work on things like having your fishing lures communicate with your electronics.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 03:33 PM

Nothing but issues after installing it. While it did work at first, my units now seem slow...Like a computer getting to its memory maximum. The units freeze and catch up constantly.

To make it worse, when I reinstalled it, all my Global and local setting got screwed up completely.

Thankfully I have a James Biggs session coming up and he will get them dialed in.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 05:32 PM

Pacer Tom, did you do the hard reset before you downloaded the update? And did you save your settings to a chip before doing so? I'm thinking of trying the update but don't want to run into the problems you had.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon Potter
I thinks its ok, just like Steve said its 2d over the down imaging. Gives a different view. Its free, and if you don't like it you can always turn it off.

This! I turned it off on mine. It also gives you a little cleaner view on side scan with the upgrade. Close to what Mega does.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

This! I turned it off on mine. It also gives you a little cleaner view on side scan with the upgrade. Close to what Mega does.
does the update make the side imaging better or does having fish reveal make side imaging?
Posted By: TravisTracy

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 07:49 PM

Same with me. Completely jacked up my unit after I updated. I figured out how to make it work though. Who is James Biggs...is he local?
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 08:37 PM

I got it on the second update and installed it. I have had no issues and kind of like the view it gives me.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 09:01 PM

I get a red line on the bottom now basically non stop. I'm gonna turn it off I think
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/15/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: basscatcher01

does the update make the side imaging better or does having fish reveal make side imaging?

Only shows fish reveal on down scan. It cleaned up shadows on side scan making it a little clearer.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/16/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: basscatcher01

Only shows fish reveal on down scan. It cleaned up shadows on side scan making it a little clearer.

Do I have to have fish reveal on for side imaging to clear up or does the update itself make side imaging better? I personally don’t like the fish reveal on.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Lowrance “Fish Reveal” on the water experience? - 08/16/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
Game changers are things like a trolling motor communicating with your electronics. They should work on things like having your fishing lures communicate with your electronics.

popcorn
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum