Texas Fishing Forum

Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird

Posted By: Wave Away

Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 06:33 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to convert some Google Earth waypoints/trails and upload them to my Humminbird unit. I've saved the file as a "KML" file, saved them on GPS Babel, but Humminbird PC wont recognize them. I've watched a bunch of You Tube videos. Looks like I'm supposed to save the output file on GPS Babel as GPX but I don't see that as an option. I'm sure this is operator error on my part but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 06:47 PM

I make custom map cards. You’re pretty close.

It’s easier to save to USR format first. Then go to GPS Babel, select the usr’s and convert to GPX

Then on the humming bird PC you have to add to card and select the GPX
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 06:48 PM

I’m nearly positive you can’t go from KML which is what google earth uses to GPX. Needs to be USR first

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:11 PM

Are you talking about when you originally save from Google Earth? The only options I see are KML and KMZ. No USR file option.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:20 PM

Download and install RideLeader software (its FREE). Load the KML files to that to get them to GPX.

Then load the GPX files to HumminbirdPC. After that load the file to the memory card using the card symbol on the left of the panel. That will put the data in a MATRIX folder that the Helix will recognize and upload the waypoints to the unit's memory.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:22 PM

If you have a SOLIX or ONIX, you can skip the HumminbirdPC step since those units will load GPX files separately.

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:28 PM

Does this work around GPS Babel? Not sure if it matters but I have 1199's
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:33 PM

Oh My God my head hurts

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 07:39 PM

Right???!!!
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wave Away
Hi all,

I'm trying to convert some Google Earth waypoints/trails and upload them to my Humminbird unit. I've saved the file as a "KML" file, saved them on GPS Babel, but Humminbird PC wont recognize them. I've watched a bunch of You Tube videos. Looks like I'm supposed to save the output file on GPS Babel as GPX but I don't see that as an option. I'm sure this is operator error on my part but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Don't use GPS Babel. It's crazy confusing. I just use GPSvisualizer, it's easy and seamless. I've got a video on doing that.

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 08:40 PM

Try this:
-Save as KMZ from GoogleEarth
-Use GPSVisualizer and convert to GPX
-Done

When I started I was unable to use GPSBabel to do such a simple task, so I created a 3 part video series to address this issue. I'm surprised your youtube search didn't pull these videos up. Let me know if you need help.
Tim

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 09:04 PM

Done! Visualizer was a piece of cake!!! Down with GPS Babel!!!!....hahaha

Re: Coverting Google Earth waypoints to Humminbird - 08/09/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Wave Away
Done! Visualizer was a piece of cake!!! Down with GPS Babel!!!!....hahaha

I'm glad you're able to get it to work. When I started researching this (like you), I suffered through Bable, and went through 50 menus and hours trying to get it to work; and none of it worked. Then Whoala-Visualizer was introduced to me, and it's so much easier.

Others must have luck with it; but not me. I'm interested in what process you're using: Navionics to GoogleEarth to Visualizer to Humminbird? Are you doing deep structure mapping?
Tim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum