Texas Fishing Forum

Motorguide Xi5

Posted By: J.M.S

Motorguide Xi5 - 07/31/18 04:53 PM

How does the Xi5 work when fishing shallow? I'm looking at the Xi5 and the Ultrex. I have Lowrance units so I was looking to stay with motorguide for the compatibility but I'm having reservations because the Motorguide seems to be a poor design and needs lots of modification to work for bass fishing. Thanks for any information.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 07/31/18 04:56 PM

buy an ultrex much better mount an way easier to mount transducers
Posted By: Quackhead HFD

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 07/31/18 05:12 PM

I have one... spot lock is great but the foot pedal takes some getting use to. The motor itself has been good. I have had it for about 3yrs and can use the foot pedal just fine now. With that being said I will get an Ultrex when my Xi5 bites the dust.
Posted By: Gman72

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 07/31/18 07:52 PM

Ultrex is sick!

I was worried about the same thing....so glad I went with the Ultrex!!!
Posted By: Tjhook

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/02/18 09:55 PM

Ultrex!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/03/18 01:11 AM

Sometimes I'll watch my Ultrex instead of my flat screen TV, that's how good it is. pollo
Posted By: Dougw1515

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/03/18 04:45 AM

I’ve had my Xi5 going on three years. All the auto functions(spot lock, heading lock and jog) function to expectations. I don’t see how they could get much better. The foot control.... I don’t scream and cuss at it near as much as I used to. Part of the reason is I’ve learned to work it to its capabilities(which are limited) the other part is I’ve simply grown weary of screamin’ and cussin’. I really thought Mercury/MotorGuide would address the glaring weakness in the foot control sometime after the initial release of the Xi5. OK... so I’ve been wrong before...

I really... really... want the functionality of the Ultrex foot control but.... what I don’t want is the associated mount and wiring required with the Ultrex. Cost are kinna off-setting as well.

I am also a Lowrance user so that too weighs on my decision to stay with the Xi5. The Xi5 works and works well in all areas sans the foot control. I do have the gateway that allows me to control the Xi5 from any of my Carbon MDF’s - which I use a lot!

If you go with the Xi5 you will be well satisfied with every aspect but the foot control and maybe... just maybe... some day.... MotorGuide will resolve that issue. It’s awfully hard to believe that with all the attention the Ultrex is getting that MotorGuide isn’t going to respond in a positive manner at some point but... I’ve been wrong before...
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/03/18 01:09 PM

Get the Ultrex if you can afford it. It mounts better.

I have the Xi5 and love it...other than the mount and using an external transducer.
Posted By: x19dm

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/03/18 04:16 PM

Another Xi5 user here that would replace it with an Ultrex. I like others can get by with the electronic foot pedal on the Xi5 but would probably give up the graph interface to have the cable feedback of an Ultrex during spring fishing. Don't know if offshore would matter much between the two in my opinion but haven't run an Ultrex much other than being in the boat with someone who has one and occasionally step up on the front. I too am wondering when/if Motorguide will get back in the game.
Posted By: J.M.S

Re: Motorguide Xi5 - 08/06/18 08:38 PM

I appreciate y'all taking time to answer my questions. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum