Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it?

Posted By: thefuzz

Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/30/18 11:01 PM

I’m sure this has been discussed and I know it’s a preference thing, just wondering what you guys thoughts are. I’m in the market for a new ultrex and I do run birds. As far as I know the linked model will follow contour lines if you have the lamemaster chip and it will run from way point to way point on auto pilot. I do fish tournaments and I could see where it may be nice to have but I really don’t think I’d use the feature much. Anybody have an argument the other way? It’s really only about 100$ difference but when your spending over 2k it all adds up. Thanks
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/30/18 11:36 PM

I lay I tracks and follow them more than follow contour on my home lakes but at say table rock for instance follow contour was priceless. I set it and fished hitting spot lock when I wanted to stop and hitting it again when I wanted to resume following the track. I set it on a contour at 22 feet and would lower the tm speed and fish in closer based on the wind or raise it and go back out to my depth it was set to follow.

I dont like running the tm, I suppose if your used to it maybe youll never use it. To follow contour you have to zoom in on the contour tell it to follow then tell it which direction on your unit, if you dont have a big enough unit up front I could see never using it.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/30/18 11:39 PM

I tried to get my buddy to get the Link version but he said I don't think I'll use it.

Well now he said I wished I would have got it! bang

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/30/18 11:44 PM

fyi with link you can run the tm on your h bird. so when I am up front fishing with my 360 I can have the link controls on the screen also and use them to jog, instead of the remote.

Ive been using that a lot lately since the remote is big hanging off my belt. You need the link remote to tell it to go to a saved way point etc so Ill have it sitting on the deck now if Im going to be moving from wp to wp but I generally only do that if I want to re tie some rods or re spool etc while the boats taking me to the next spot.

ALSO You can choose a spot on the lake map and tell the TM to go there from the Humminbird. I do this while I get rods out etc some times.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 03:20 AM

Very worth it, I use it a lot with my birds...
Posted By: thefuzz

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 04:45 AM

Awesome , thanks gents. As with anything I guess I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. For 100$ sounds like it’s worth it.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: thefuzz
Awesome , thanks gents. As with anything I guess I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. For 100$ sounds like it’s worth it.

That was my thoughts exactly, if you want to play with one before you buy, holler st me, I’m 5 minutes from Roberts...
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 12:54 PM

I have the i-Pilot Link. It was what they had in stock when they very first hit the market. I don't use the "link" functions much at all. I'd save my money if I had the choice.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 01:02 PM

Sounds like it’s worth it just for the back up capabilities if you have a remote or foot switch issue
Posted By: squib

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 01:26 PM

I have a Humminbird link unit on Ultrex. I love being able to run the trolling motor off the graph if needed. That remote is simply too big to have much practical use. I use my Humminbird only for the mapping features. I have a separate Lowrance 9 on the bow for sonar.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 02:03 PM

I have the I pilot Link Terrova, I find that the follow the contour is a pain, because it makes sudden jogging motions, almost pitched me out of the boat more than once. As the contour suddenly changes direction and you are concentrating on fishing. I do use the other features, record route, go to way point, just not the terrain.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 02:54 PM

With my TM, the difference was $500 and I don't think that I'm missing much.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 06:01 PM

Something else to consider depending on your setup is the HB ethernet switch which is $200+. I bought the Linked version 2 years ago just in case but have not connected it. This past spring I added a Helix 12 and 360 for the bow moving my HDS 9 to the console. For me so far, not having the extra features is ok.
If you already have an all HB setup then you probably already have the switch.

Re: Ultrex linked vs non linked ...is it worth it? - 07/31/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamoke
I have the I pilot Link Terrova, I find that the follow the contour is a pain, because it makes sudden jogging motions, almost pitched me out of the boat more than once. As the contour suddenly changes direction and you are concentrating on fishing. I do use the other features, record route, go to way point, just not the terrain.

Change your boat scale to -2. Thats how much power it uses to move the boat say when you drift off spot lock etc..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum