Texas Fishing Forum

Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 03:51 PM

Don’t want fighting or arguing on this thread. Just want a discussion. Help me understand why you post pics of your great day of fishing. I’m trying to understand. I truly am. I think it’s just a difference of opinion and mindset. Here’s an example. About 3 years ago I fished an Etex lake. That day I caught and 8.5, 7.5, and a 5. To this day the only people who know about it are the 2 guys in the boat with me that day and one of their sons. Why would anyone post that info on an open forum and create “boat traffic” to their lake? Fishing pressure is bad enough. Why post pictures. I just don’t get it. Please explain.

And please keep comments civil and let’s have a discussion. Not arguments and finger pointing. Thanks guys.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 03:55 PM

Two things come to mind. Pride of accomplishment, and "braggin' rights" (which in some cases are the same thing)

Edit: Here's another reason:
wopics
If someone comes on here and says, "I caught a xx.xx pounder, folks are gonna want to see a picture of that xx.xx pounder
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:09 PM

Awesome must be documented.

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:09 PM

I very seldom if ever do that Frank but understand why others do. Prolly just sharing the joy and accomplishment of a great day on the water. And think about it for a moment, what's the real chances of someone finding and fishing that exact spot or even one similar and catching fish the next day, week or month later. I saw the nice photo's of the bass those guys caught on Aquila but I have no intention of heading down there, ever. Guides are constantly posting pictures of their customers catches but it has never inspired me to load the boat and head up there no matter the day or lake. I think the reputation of certain lakes brings the crowds, not the pictures posted. Haven't heard anyone complaining about overcrowding on Cedar Creek or Tawakoni.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:13 PM

Don’t have to worry about me posting. I’ve tried and tried to post off my iPhone and still can’t get it to work so I’ve finally given up. People have forwarded the links for instructions. I’ve followed to the T and it still gives me an error. Every other forum I can post pics on except this one.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:20 PM

I get as much or more enjoyment seeing one of my buddies or family members catch fish as I do myself so I post them. A good example would be my trip I just returned from to Seaside Florida. I took my daughter & SIL & son Joseph out with a guide for bull reds.

My daughter caught a 30# redfish and several others in the 12-20# class. I posted them on FB for my friends & family to see. My son & SIL caught reds between 15-25# too. I never picked up a rod.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Don’t want fighting or arguing on this thread. Just want a discussion. Help me understand why you post pics of your great day of fishing. I’m trying to understand. I truly am. I think it’s just a difference of opinion and mindset. Here’s an example. About 3 years ago I fished an Etex lake. That day I caught and 8.5, 7.5, and a 5. To this day the only people who know about it are the 2 guys in the boat with me that day and one of their sons. Why would anyone post that info on an open forum and create “boat traffic” to their lake? Fishing pressure is bad enough. Why post pictures. I just don’t get it. Please explain.

And please keep comments civil and let’s have a discussion. Not arguments and finger pointing. Thanks guys.

I enjoy seeing pictures, any pictures, with any post. I enjoy taking pictures, I enjoy editing pictures, and I enjoy posting pictures. If someone is reminded of fishing the same lake, the same area of the lake, the exact spot, the same conditions, or catching them on the same baits somewhere else, I'm happy. If someone that lurks on the board is moved to post, I like it even better.

What I don't understand are the whiney little beaches that complain about posting pictures of fishing and and say they want a civil discussion. roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:22 PM

Something else I would like to add. I subscribe to Motor Trend & Car & Driver magazine to read about the exotics and new technology. I could not care less to read about the newest Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

I think folks come on here to read about and see pix of out of the ordinary stuff.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:25 PM

I’m interested to watch the comments on this one lol
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett
I’m interested to watch the comments on this one lol

Yep same here.. popcorn

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Something else I would like to add. I subscribe to Motor Trend & Car & Driver magazine to read about the exotics and new technology. I could not care less to read about the newest Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

I think folks come on here to read about and see pix of out of the ordinary stuff.

I do to, but out of the ordinary stuff doesn't happen every day, if it did, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Maybe for those that only like out of the ordinary there should be hump day fishing forum... every Wednesday, only 10 pounder + pics. roflmao
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:50 PM

Why not share the info?
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 04:53 PM

Social media takeover of the world. I'm at the beach right now and I can count 12 people who are sitting at the beach with their loved ones with their heads buried in their phones. Drives me nuts.

And the pic posting is a symptom. I'm guilty of it. I haven't caught many big ones and in the past I would post as if it legitimized me somehow. "Hey guys, I can do it, too." And then I got the experience of the dopamine rush of people congratulating me.

I see why the guides do it to promote their business.

I don't post much now because I know I'm not that interesting. I don't need Facebook likes or retweets or attaboys to have self worth. I simply collect my pics for albums and frames because they only mean anything to me.

And I FOR SURE wouldn't post pics of big ones from a small lake that already gets too much pressure.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 05:09 PM

Some people like to share their accomplishments, others do not. Some people like Skeeters, others do not. We’re all different and fortunately we live in a country where we can make our choices like that. I’ve never really given it a second thought.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®

Is that Frank ?
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeFriday
Some people like to share their accomplishments, others do not. Some people like Skeeters, others do not. We’re all different and fortunately we live in a country where we can make our choices like that. I’ve never really given it a second thought.

Pretty much it. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand people are different. I come here to see pics. I definitely dont come here to see the silly same question asked 1000 times.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 05:38 PM

Better stop posting tourney results then. Local clubs, big trails, working man’s, all of ‘em. That brings just as much attention and boating pressure but nobody bats an eye.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
Social media takeover of the world. I'm at the beach right now and I can count 12 people who are sitting at the beach with their loved ones with their heads buried in their phones. Drives me nuts.

Make that 13 sir while you are typing. wink

roflmao
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:19 PM

roflmao

You caughtnit too! Lol

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:21 PM

I post pics ev every now and again. But it has to be a REALLY good one.

Frank, I caught an 11.32 last Wednesday. Wanna see a pic?
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Yes please, time, date, bait, and gps location please smile

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:32 PM

What about the one you caught at Athens yesterday. Ever find those brush piles ?

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

What about the one you caught at Athens yesterday. Ever find those brush piles ?

The top water bite never slowed down enough to make me want to look. Must have caught 20 4 pound bass. All on a frog. Caught 6 really nice ones in the cove right behind the marina on a whacky rig senko.

Found some tires im gonna try some day.

The big one from Athens was two weeks ago. Lol.

This pic is for "Frank" ! Now everyone drive 100mph to Athens. It's on fire!

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:49 PM

roflmao

Nope! I was "using the facilities." roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:55 PM

Is that Frank ?

I don't know, but its the best post on here. roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:57 PM

The top water bite never slowed down enough to make me want to look. Must have caught 20 4 pound bass. All on a frog. Caught 6 really nice ones in the cove right behind the marina on a whacky rig senko.

That doesn't look like the Athens parking lot Steez.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:58 PM

That doesn't look like the Athens parking lot Steez.
of course it is. The lake was PACKED!!! And getting more crowded every post! Oops I mean every day.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 06:59 PM

[/quote]

That doesn't look like the Athens parking lot Steez. [/quote]

It's not...Looks like over flow parking in the grass at Athens

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca

That doesn't look like the Athens parking lot Steez. [/quote]

It's not...Looks like over flow parking in the grass at Athens[/quote]

That's right. The lake was PACKED! grin

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:08 PM

Franks blood pressure is gonna blow like spindle top.
Posted By: SATopWater

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:27 PM

Isn't it kind of the point for the whole board?

People who enjoy bass fishing sharing and discussing their hobby. Sometimes it's a pic of someone who's proud of what they accomplished. I don't usually post pics either, but don't see anything wrong with it.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:31 PM

Is that Frank ?

I’ve put on a few pounds since then.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:33 PM

That’s a clean looking Skeeter Steezy

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:44 PM

What about the one you caught at Athens yesterday. Ever find those brush piles ?[/quote]

This pic is for "Frank" ! Now everyone drive 100mph to Athens. It's on fire! [/quote]

That’s a clean looking Skeeter Steezy [/quote]

Sure is, Steez and I have good taste when it comes to boats.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 07:46 PM

That’s a clean looking Skeeter Steezy
THE FISH FRANK....LETS NOT LOSE TRACK OF THE POST...ITS THE FISH AND THE FIRE! The lake is on fire, I tell ya!

This ain't a boat pic thread.

Just messing with ya.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 08:43 PM

thumb
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SATopWater
Isn't it kind of the point for the whole board?

People who enjoy bass fishing sharing and discussing their hobby. Sometimes it's a pic of someone who's proud of what they accomplished. I don't usually post pics either, but don't see anything wrong with it.

People get judgy and opinionated. Good lakes got pressure long before these forums became popular.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 08:54 PM

Why ask why??
Posted By: sdgull

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 09:38 PM

I love to see the success of everyone’s catches, especially when I’m not catching. Motivates me to think deeper and solve the puzzle a better way. It’s excitjng, it’s fun. Life is tough enough, share your damn bass pics without fear of causing a lake to get over fished.

Anyone that plans to fish “x” lake is probably going to fish it regardless of any pics they did or didn’t see. I just don’t think it works like that.

Too many fisherman are however legends in their own minds, bassmaster classic wanna be anglers, and to an extent take this hobby way too seriously, right down to having a MEMORABLE day on the water but then saying “I can’t talk about it or share the experience with you because it’s top secret and don’t want MY waters fished.” Doesn’t seem like a great way to grow the sport, especially when kids are glued to phones and TVs. Everyone should be sharing their success, and teaching others how to do it better.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 09:46 PM

roflmao

Nope! I was "using the facilities." roflmao

frkazoid

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 09:49 PM

Is that Frank ?

I’ve put on a few pounds since then.

cheers
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 09:49 PM

You also have people who post pics to represent their pro staff or sponsors. #tag this and #tag that. Sometimes its business they post the pics and tag their sponsors and get free stuff or get their tournament entries paid. But everyone else usually does it to brag a little. You can post a pic and not tell the location, too.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 10:12 PM

Hmmm. Why post pictures? I don't know. I catch quite a few more fish than I post pictures of but once in a while it's cool to share. Like stated above, it's what the forum is for. Maybe you should do a study on the effects of someone telling about a great day on a certain body of water on a certain spot then go there the next day and see how many boats show at said spot. Wow seems kinda silly huh? I don't see anything wrong with it.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 10:15 PM

I just noticed there is a thread now on Aquilla and a 34lb.bag. Wonder if there is going to be a noticeable uptick in traffic. I doubt it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 10:27 PM

And the pic posting is a symptom. I'm guilty of it. I haven't caught many big ones and in the past I would post as if it legitimized me somehow. "Hey guys, I can do it, too." And then I got the experience of the dopamine rush of people congratulating me.

I don't post much now because I know I'm not that interesting. I don't need Facebook likes or retweets or attaboys to have self worth. I simply collect my pics for albums and frames because they only mean anything to me.

And I FOR SURE wouldn't post pics of big ones from a small lake that already gets too much pressure.

Did you count yourself as one of the 12 on your phone?
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 10:47 PM

No dialogue needed. PRIDE, that simple! bolt

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: formula462
I just noticed there is a thread now on Aquilla and a 34lb.bag. Wonder if there is going to be a noticeable uptick in traffic. I doubt it.
Aquila is and ALWAYS WILL BE a mud hole. With an over zealous warden.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/29/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Did you count yourself as one of the 12 on your phone?

No. See above.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:03 AM

I post as many pics as anyone, guilty as charged....I take some grief for it too.
It's simple, I love seeing pics from all the folks on here....I don't want ya to think I'm sitting home polishing my prop.
"Keep posting" I say.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
No dialogue needed. PRIDE, that simple! bolt

This^^^^^
Thank you Sir
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:31 AM

You obviously ate that fish...

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bloo_rainger

You obviously ate that fish...

I hate fish. I cleaned out McDonalds on the way in.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:44 AM

I have never posted a pic. I'm not a look at me kinda person.
Posted By: GameOfBass

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:59 AM

Maybe I missed something, what photo has been posted for a lake showing a fish you did not know had fish in it? The question makes it sound like people see a photo and are shocked to see a fish came from that lake and will suddenly go fishing there. Double digit from Fork,no way, an 8# from Lewisville, cannot be. I see lakes named, but i do not see gps coordinates, lure, depth, time. These photos help me to know what is out there as I continue to learn. I may catch 2 or 3 dinks and see some who got a 7.5,8.5,or 9 and know the next cast could be that. I have not had the excitement or opportunity to catch either of the above, but I am always going to be trying. If I do catch the above I am going to be proud to show it.
Posted By: champRD

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 02:58 AM

Pretty simple, if you don't like it , don't look at it. Very few things please everyone. It's a forum and you have a choice in what you read and what you comment on, but I think the op was just wanting to share one of those days we all fish for. Congrats.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 03:01 AM

I like seeing people be successful in the game, it’s inspiring. There is also learning and information sharing to be had.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 04:10 AM

Some Good comments on here guys. Thanks for your perspective and for sharing. cheers
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:25 PM

I've never had an open and honest dialogue about anything, so why should I start with a bunch of hairy legged, fat, and ugly wannabe gopro bros on a fishing forum? Albeit, I do have some big ole' bass pics if you're interested..... cheers
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:29 PM

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L. I enjoy sharing my accomplishments, I enjoy seeing the accomplishments of others. That said, I almost never share the location of my catches.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:32 PM

I also think most folks are rational actors. They are going to do the math on the perceived benefit of sharing vs the potential cost. Maybe they rarely fish the lake so they simply don't care. Maybe the lake is so large they don't think it matters. Maybe they think their audience is small enough it won't matter. Maybe they are flat out lying about where they caught it.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:44 PM

I think most post cause it's a rare catch to them, not knowing or realizing the implications nowadays. I can't remember the last time I posted an on the water pic.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:48 PM

Big lakes post away, little lakes near population centers be careful. They will get pounded. It's been so long since I have caught a big one my opinion in irrelevant on this

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 12:50 PM

I can honestly say I've never been honest about where I caught a big fish. Lol. I almost always carry the fish to the other side of the lake for pics, then take it back to where I caught it to release it. I always release them.....honestly. For real.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 01:08 PM

Since I was a kid I always loved going into bait shops and seeing all the fish pics people had hung on the walls or that the bait shop had sitting on the counter. Times have changed, instead of developing the pic then taking it back to the bait shop or taking the ole Polaroid back there now we can instantly post it in places that allow tons more people to see. I can recall sending in pics to Bassmaster Magazine and Honey Hole praying I'd make an issue....

Why post pics? I suppose everyone has their own reasons, but I think its wrong to instantly say its to brag or puff out ones chest for a "look at me"... cant we just be proud of our catch and happily share our accomplishments with others? Its that reason I enjoy looking at others pics posted on here, to congratulate those that love the same hobby/sport as me on a great catch. We might overthink things a little sometimes...
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
I post as many pics as anyone, guilty as charged....I take some grief for it too.
It's simple, I love seeing pics from all the folks on here....I don't want ya to think I'm sitting home polishing my prop.
"Keep posting" I say.

And, Fish2222, you are a respectable poster here, no flames or trolling, adding value. I always read your posts. Yet, I think you sort of illustrate the capricious nature of forums like this wanting to do one thing, maybe others not so much.

Just a few weeks ago, several posts were made regarding good fishing on Lake Athens, some pics were shared, more. And, you may recall you posted "there goes Lake Athens!!!" or words to that effect meaning that the publicity would attract more boats, more anglers, diminish the lake. I chuckled at the time thinking, "Is this the Fish2222 who often publishes great results with pics of large bass from his really successful trips out on Lake Athens?"

It didn't add up. And, it shouldn't. Because, a lot of us want to share our successes, and wanting so overrides the absurd notion that someone catching numbers or a big bass on a particular lake means anyone else might.

After Fish2222's many pic-posts, and there must have been a dozen or more of them last year, he being one of the better anglers on the lake, Lake Athens is still fishing just as good now as it was before his posts were made. Yet, he was sensitive about others sharing. Human nature: his, mine, yours.

The bass fishing forum could do this: devolve into just endless, repetitious posts about: fluorocarbon, plastic color choices, "if you only had "one" posts. We'd then be literally bored to death, most of us would go elsewhere.

On Facebook's D/FW kayaking page? There is a common feeling: Posts about fish caught without photos? It didn't happen. They actually want pics over there.

Brad
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 01:36 PM

Good thread!
If you take a look at the new picture posted before you enter TFF, you'll see why most of us love to fish. Two little kids holding up their perch with a big smile on their faces.
I wonder how many of us would still fish, if we had to fish from the shore line with minnows or something similar.
That's what fishing is all about.
Unfortunately, big boats with big engines have taken it to a different level. Fishing has become the popular thing to do. Running around the lake at 70 mph is how some fisherman spend their time on the water. If, you take those folks out of the equation, you would be left with about 10% of folks who would come to the lake on the weekends. That means less folks to fill up the RV parks, motels, restaurants etc,,,.
Why do I feel better about catching a 6 lb bass out of PK rather than a 6 lb bass out of Fork?
Because the one out of Fork is just a slot fish. Sometimes I feel like I've had a bad trip if I only catch a 23.5 inch fish, even if I catch 2 or 3 of them.
I don't post fish pics. I think the last one was a big bass out of Alvarado about four years ago.
It's really not that big of an accomplishment when you think about it. I would rather be known as a good family man, fairly successful businessman, and full- time Christian.
If you make your money as a guide, then I fully understand the pictures. No one wants to go with a guide who never catches big fish.
When I was younger, I fished tournaments and took a lot of pictures but at 71, I've slowed way down. If I catch a big one, I sent the pic to my wife, son, to my best friend, and neighbor. That's about it.
Sorry to be so blunt but when some fool cuts in front of me as I'm fishing a shore line, it makes me realize what my real priorities are.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 01:42 PM

Frank, since you have over 23,000 posts on here I'm guessing you enjoy the comradery, sharing of info, telling stories......of the TFF. People who post with pics are no different.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 03:36 PM

I learned the hard way on this topic many years ago. I was new to the forum and fairly new to bass fishing at the same time. Went out with an old business partner on Monticello and had an awesome day. I posted the pics with a lot of details. Not sure what my intent was at the time other than I forwarded a link to my partner and he loved seeing it. For the next 4 weeks, Monti was as crowded as I've ever seen it. I doubt that was all due to my post but my post definitely seemed to have some effect, similar to when Wilcox or one of the Youtubers post something.

Since that post, I have only posted something one time and it was when I caught my first and still only double digit I caught on Fork while fishing with my cousin and great (now passed) friend Dean Stroman. In today's world, those post do nothing but create more traffic on a lake and when its on a small lake like Monti, it can get very crowded very fast.

To answer the OP, I think some are posted for self gratification, some are for advertising a business or sponsor and some are just because some people like sharing info that may help others.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 03:42 PM

I’m more curious as to why people get so mad about it. Post picture or don’t. Who cares! However, if no one shared pictures or information this place would become a ghost town. Without the contributions of the “attention seekers” as someone put it earlier, what’s there to look at?
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 03:53 PM

The answer to this is very simple. Since there's been a camera, fishermen have documented their catch. It's at the core of the sport. If it's not captured on photo or film, it's just a fish story. (fishermen lie)

Secondarily, memories (for most) are meant to be captured and shared.

Finally, if you find yourself on a fishing forum or a social media platform and you're getting spun out by people posting pics, then you need to audit yourself and your outlook on life... roflmao

Posted By: boyd1002

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 04:02 PM

I posted the pictures of Aquila. You can say it was self gratification or attention seeking.. maybe so .. but to me it was the best day of fishing in 30 years with my dad and my brother. A day we will talk about for the rest of our lives and memories for a lifetime and i chose to share that with TFF. I live in Kansas with my family, so i get to fish with my dad and brother about once every 2-3 months (they fish there most weekends and were perfectly okay with the post - heck my brother posted the pictures). Does it mean Aquila will get more pressure? maybe some, but that is what this forum (in my understanding) is about. Sharing info and making us all better fishermen. As a viewer (and very random poster) those are the type of post i like to see. I remember Armadilla used to post his updates from Aquila and Whitney and i always looked forward to them, and i never remember it being an issue. Actually, the very top topic when i posted was talking about a 33lb bag from Whitney the day before. Was it different because i put pictures?

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

The answer to this is very simple. Since there's been a camera, fishermen have documented their catch. It's at the core of the sport. If it's not captured on photo or film, it's just a fish story. (fishermen lie)

Secondarily, memories (for most) are meant to be captured and shared.

Finally, if you find yourself on a fishing forum or a social media platform and you're getting spun out by people posting pics, then you need to audit yourself and your outlook on life... roflmao

Jonesy shoots, Jonesy scores!!

soldier

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 04:14 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Originally Posted By: Fish2222
"Keep posting" I say.

And, Fish2222, you are a respectable poster here, no flames or trolling, adding value. I always read your posts. Yet, I think you sort of illustrate the capricious nature of forums like this wanting to do one thing, maybe others not so much.

Just a few weeks ago, several posts were made regarding good fishing on Lake Athens, some pics were shared, more. And, you may recall you posted "there goes Lake Athens!!!" or words to that effect meaning that the publicity would attract more boats, more anglers, diminish the lake. I chuckled at the time thinking, "Is this the Fish2222 who often publishes great results with pics of large bass from his really successful trips out on Lake Athens?"

It didn't add up. And, it shouldn't. Because, a lot of us want to share our successes, and wanting so overrides the absurd notion that someone catching numbers or a big bass on a particular lake means anyone else might.

After Fish2222's many pic-posts, and there must have been a dozen or more of them last year, he being one of the better anglers on the lake, Lake Athens is still fishing just as good now as it was before his posts were made. Yet, he was sensitive about others sharing. Human nature: his, mine, yours.

The bass fishing forum could do this: devolve into just endless, repetitious posts about: fluorocarbon, plastic color choices, "if you only had "one" posts. We'd then be literally bored to death, most of us would go elsewhere.

On Facebook's D/FW kayaking page? There is a common feeling: Posts about fish caught without photos? It didn't happen. They actually want pics over there.

Brad

All correct about Fish2222 being a good guy, good sharer of info, photos. But, it was another good guy, Frank the Tank, who actually posted the "Athens RIP" post after some good results were shared a while back. Just wanted to set the record straight. I stand corrected.

I am obviously in the "camp" that prefers photos, sharing of ideas. It it ever devolves to a tight rotation of topics endlessly repeated, I suspect readership/participation will fall away dramatically.

Brad

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: boyd1002
I posted the pictures of Aquila. You can say it was self gratification or attention seeking.. maybe so .. but to me it was the best day of fishing in 30 years with my dad and my brother. A day we will talk about for the rest of our lives and memories for a lifetime and i chose to share that with TFF. I live in Kansas with my family, so i get to fish with my dad and brother about once every 2-3 months (they fish there most weekends and were perfectly okay with the post - heck my brother posted the pictures). Does it mean Aquila will get more pressure? maybe some, but that is what this forum (in my understanding) is about. Sharing info and making us all better fishermen. As a viewer (and very random poster) those are the type of post i like to see. I remember Armadilla used to post his updates from Aquila and Whitney and i always looked forward to them, and i never remember it being an issue. Actually, the very top topic when i posted was talking about a 33lb bag from Whitney the day before. Was it different because i put pictures?

Don't worry bout it bro you did good. I looked at them 2-3 times and may look at'em 2-3 more times. You get all kinds of comments on here but tak'em with a grain of salt, most of'em just give a people a chance to practice their typing. Hurry back and catch/post some more. thumb
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 05:32 PM

Fellows, please post away. As I said, I used to do it all the time, but at this age, it's just not something I want to do anymore. The OP asked for opinions, so there is mine.
If my Dad was still alive, I would surely want pictures of the trip if we caught a bunch, but he's not, so as I said, I think your reasons change.
Just like the kids on the first picture of the forum, it's pure joy. That's good enough for me
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 05:56 PM

When I post pics I always say they came from Lake Livingston
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 07:00 PM

I remember a few years ago there was a guy that cashed several checks in the Oakley tournament at Conroe. He was on here telling everybody how incredible lake Conroe is and there’s a 6 or 7 pounder under every bush or something to that affect. I’m not joking about this, the next weekend there was a lot more boats than usual for a normal weekend on the lake, and almost every boat had atleast one person with a Texas Rangers shirt or jersey or hat on so I know for sure that all those people were there because of his post on here. The funny thing is that every one of these people that I talked to were highly disappointed in lake Conroe. They got a taste of the real lake Conroe roflmao
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 08:11 PM

CPR without the photographs is just silly. How am I supposed to prove to all the internet naysayers that I really did catch that big ol' fish without a photo?

Granted, there are some photos that shouldn't be published on the internet (like a catch of questionable legality) but otherwise I don't see a problem with putting photos up for bragging rights.
Posted By: plk1122

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 08:22 PM

I don't post pictures but do take them and show people at work and family. I do this because it makes me happy showing, what to me, is a great accomplishment. For the longest time I struggled to land a fish. I would fish all day and lucky to get one. I even chimed in on a post here and there about my struggles. Yesterday i was even excited to show my catch to the GW.

For years i have struck out, close to giving up on fishing. For me to finally be able to catch fish every trip i go out, feels awesome. It is fueling my desire right now to upgrade to a decent bass boat. Even though my pics are nothing to brag about, i still want to show them. I don't really care if the people i show don't care, i feel happy showing them. One day, this will wear off, and I won't care to get pictures. Similar to me deer hunting, i don't care to show people those pictures like a did when i was a teenager.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 08:37 PM

The only part I don't appreciate about the picture posting is it turns into a bragging board some times. I feel bad for the guys just trying to participate here that post a pic. of a fish, they miss judge the weight like all fisherman do, and here come the folks on here who can weigh fish through a computer screen to the hundredth of an OZ. Makes me crazy, just say nice fish or something or how about nothing at all.

As far as pics./favorable reports causing pressure, I think it is very true. It is fun though to talk fishing with a bunch of like minded people and if a few more show up where I am fishing because of a pic. or a conversation, that is just the way it goes. I don't like pressure on my lake any more than the next guy but the sport is not going away so we might as well enjoy the camaraderie and help each other out.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 08:59 PM

The only thing fishermen lie about more than their fish weights is how fast their boat'll run!

roflmao
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 09:08 PM

Caught a solid 7 pounder just this morning.

Bank fishing the Eerie Canal.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 09:41 PM

The only thing fishermen lie about more than their fish weights is how fast their boat'll run!

roflmao

roflmao

My boat runs 60.1. And my last big fish was 11.32.

Truth and truth.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Exactly what we're talkin about right there Coach!

Pix or it didn't happen! Nice "7 pounder" roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 09:47 PM

Fellas,

It's a FISHING FORUM!

Why would you not expect folks to brag about their fish or lie about the weights of their fish on a Fishin Forum??

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 09:53 PM

Fellas,

It's a FISHING FORUM!

Why would you not expect folks to brag about their fish or lie about the weights of their fish on a Fishin Forum??

Wisdom^, especially lie about the weights
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 10:02 PM

Just shy of 7...

About 6lbs shy of 7 grin roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: plk1122
I don't post pictures but do take them and show people at work and family. I do this because it makes me happy showing, what to me, is a great accomplishment. For the longest time I struggled to land a fish. I would fish all day and lucky to get one. I even chimed in on a post here and there about my struggles. Yesterday i was even excited to show my catch to the GW.

For years i have struck out, close to giving up on fishing. For me to finally be able to catch fish every trip i go out, feels awesome. It is fueling my desire right now to upgrade to a decent bass boat. Even though my pics are nothing to brag about, i still want to show them. I don't really care if the people i show don't care, i feel happy showing them. One day, this will wear off, and I won't care to get pictures. Similar to me deer hunting, i don't care to show people those pictures like a did when i was a teenager.

Glad fishing turned around for you.. Ive had only 2 or 3 blank days in the last two years when I re started bass fishing, its amazing the difference if you go once in a while vs on a regular basis.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 10:36 PM

roflmao

agree, I keep being told my boat should be near 80... ok. well with all the stuff I have on it I see 66-68 regularly and once in a while break 70 now.

Ive seen 76 darn near empty and minus 15 foot talons etc.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 11:31 PM

I think it is way more strange why someone would post up a topic like this.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 11:38 PM

To share in their excitement possibly. If you didnt want to share in other people’s opinions, beliefs, excitement, tales, etc... why did you join a forum. This forum was created just for that reason.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/30/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
To share in their excitement possibly. If you didnt want to share in other people’s opinions, beliefs, excitement, tales, etc... why did you join a forum. This forum was created just for that reason.

I took Ronnie out on Hubbard a few years back and he caught a 10 pounder off one of "my spots", we posted a pic and I did not get to fish that spot again for almost 18 months shocked

lesson learned

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Trickster

He just wanted to tell everyone he caught an 8.5 7.5 and a 5 lber. clap

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 12:29 AM

I'm on my way bolt

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs
Originally Posted By: Trickster

He just wanted to tell everyone he caught an 8.5 7.5 and a 5 lber. clap

popcorn Yall really need to kiss and make up. cheers
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 12:40 AM

frank and chase are sharelunker brothers now! roflmao

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
frank and chase are sharelunker brothers now! roflmao

it would be way cool if they had the same hair. breakdance
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:00 AM

So related question. I see people now blurring the horizon in pictures so the spot isn’t given away.. how do you do that?
Posted By: Weavertree

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:15 AM

No need to blur out the background on these...it's my pond and yes, I'm bragging. These are my grandchildren!!!!

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Weavertree
No need to blur out the background on these...it's my pond and yes, I'm bragging. These are my grandchildren!!!!

Awesome pic, I would say each fish atleast 8lbs. thumb
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:47 AM

I think for me it would depend on the size of the lake. If I had a great day on Rayburn, Toledo Bend, or even Fork or Pines I would be glad to tell people about it.

But a small lake like Gilmer, Pinkston, or Timpson, or Winnsboro? Why would I want half of Dallas and Houston planning their trips there?

Years ago there were people who would respond to posts about Fork by saying, "While you are there go over to Gilmer. It's a great lake and you'll be glad you did." Yeah, it was a really good lake back then, but it's also all of about 500-600 acres. It got enough pressure without inviting the thousands of people on an internet forum to come fish it.

Okay, you asked for discussion and opinions. That's mine. That and $1.49 will get you a 20 ounce Coke at the Tote-A-Poke.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 05:08 AM

At some point in your life someone did something to turn you on to this great sport/hobby of bass fishing. I imagine you maybe saw a picture of a bass caught, watched a video maybe, or were lucky enough for someone to take you and SHOW you how, where, when, why, and what to cast, so that said person could get the joy of watching you catch a bass. Somewhere between that point in your life and now, seems you may have lost that passion and now may have that “my lake/spot attitud”. Take someone fishing and post a ton of pics!
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:03 PM

...How about .....

**** Some people just like to SHARE ****

in today's ME--ME--ME world some folks still like to share their accomplishments or even share WHERE-WHEN-HOW something was successful......... not everyone fishes tournaments for the $$$$ ....... fishing is still supposed to be FUN.

Just maybe ..... posting the pictures is as simple as that !!!
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:27 PM

If you are going to post photos of your recent catches, please remember to put on your fishing jersey for the photo. Vanity is everything.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:37 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread... I think we should have an open dialogue about why people even talk about fishing on the internet or why the forum even exist..... Or why this thread even exist, also if your best day is a 8.5, 7 and a 5 then I'm not surprised you didn't tell everyone about it.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 01:45 PM

Imo.... This is about the dumbest post of the year... Post those pictures people, please.. Most normal folks like it.. Is that honest enough for ya...
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 02:14 PM

wopics
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 03:59 PM

I'm guessing that because this is the Texas FISHING Forum, people are inclined to believe it's a completely appropriate agenda to discuss such things.

jmho
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Imo.... This is about the dumbest post of the year... Post those pictures people, please.. Most normal folks like it.. Is that honest enough for ya...

Totally Agree! thumb

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 05:07 PM

roflmao

And their gas milage
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 06:08 PM

Now THAT'S bragging rights! You're being a great grandpa!

Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Cmack
When I post pics I always say they came from Lake Livingston

That's funny right there....as I was thinking Lake Houston!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
At some point in your life someone did something to turn you on to this great sport/hobby of bass fishing.

My dad took me out on Caddo when I was a kid. We rented jon boats from Shine Hale's fishing camp at Pine Island Point and paddled from spot to spot. There was no internet in those days so I assume he passed on to me knowledge that he gained from his own time on the water, paddling around and trying different lures and spots before I came along.

Father/son and word of mouth are a different ballgame than posting on the internet.

I also used to get ideas on places to fish from reading Luke Clayton's fishing report and columns in the Dallas Morning News. Of course that was back in the prehistoric days, when you waited a week to get information that was probably already a week old by the time it was written up.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 09:50 PM

Thanks guys, some great answers and great perspective here. I appreciate most of you keepin it decent and not attacking or being rude. thumb
Posted By: 9094

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 09:57 PM

It wouldn’t be much of a fishing forum without pics and stories.
I have seen lots of pics of fish on here from lakes I fish and they weren’t over run with traffic.
If the fishing is good in a certain lake people find out and go to that lake. If your senario were correct then Fork would have been a big no pressure lake before the interenet.
I think I know what prompted your post and I’ll bet this weekend there aren’t 10 more boats on the lake than there would have been.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 07/31/18 11:21 PM

Are we seriously gonna gripe about others posting pictures? Come on....

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

No. Frank was just bored and not catching anything.....so he tried to lively up the joint.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 12:38 AM

If I catch a 35# sack. I wont be posting about it. But, I dont begudge the people that do. I dont tournament fish either. But I work hard to find the ones I get on. Loose lips sink ships.

That is why, what Ken is doing with his video series is so good. Its instructional, and allows them to share quality information that took years for them to gather without giving away spots. 2 ears, one mouth. Which one do you want to use? Those guys are the real deal. I know I am listening.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 12:41 AM

bouncy

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 12:53 AM

People simply cant mind their business. He falls in the category of the adults on here making fun of videos games but have 38000 post on an internet forum. hammer
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:01 AM

I post pictures so people will tell me that it looks to short to weigh 7 pounds and that I’m going to break the fishes jaw holding it that way. It keeps my ego in check and diminishes my accomplishment in front of the entire world to see. At the same time, the picture can be used as evidence to my wife that I did indeed go fishing.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mudshark
I post pictures so people will tell me that it looks to short to weigh 7 pounds and that I’m going to break the fishes jaw holding it that way. It keeps my ego in check and diminishes my accomplishment in front of the entire world to see. At the same time, the picture can be used as evidence to my wife that I did indeed go fishing.

clap thumb banana
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

roflmao

And their gas milage
roflmao Ain't that the truth! I love the posts about people with trucks exceeding EPA sticker while towing a 21ft boat uphill.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 10:15 AM

Post the pic and lie about which lake it is
Posted By: RTM

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 12:16 PM

I love bass fishing. It is always different and keeps me excited to try and figure them out. I fish alone 95% of the time. So my best chance on learning about new lakes and techniques is here where we have some fisherman that are really good at this hobby and like to share what they are doing. I also watch fishing shows, Bass University and read all kinds of stuff on the web. The photos of big bass, fishing videos and just bass fishing information here is great. I don't think the forum would exist without it. Some post a lot and some just a few. I'm thankful for any information someone wants to post.
My kids call TFF my Bass Porn since I always seem to be checking it out.

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
Now THAT'S bragging rights! You're being a great grandpa!

*** THIS IS WHY PICTURES ARE POSTED *** GREAT JOB GRANDPA !!!!!

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:06 PM

...BY THE WAY .... doesn't this FORUM open to a PICTURE ?

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:27 PM

No. Frank was just bored and not catching anything.....so he tried to lively up the joint.

Gotta have something to do during summer doldrums and until football starts! roflmao
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

roflmao

And their gas milage

Hahahah, nice add!
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Is it possible to have an open honest dialogue about why - 08/01/18 08:31 PM

I get as much or more enjoyment seeing one of my buddies or family members catch fish as I do myself so I post them. A good example would be my trip I just returned from to Seaside Florida. I took my daughter & SIL & son Joseph out with a guide for bull reds.

My daughter caught a 30# redfish and several others in the 12-20# class. I posted them on FB for my friends & family to see. My son & SIL caught reds between 15-25# too. I never picked up a rod.

I do not recall seeing pictures of your daughter.. I mean of the 30# Red. Did you blur out the background ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum