Texas Fishing Forum

Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman

Posted By: KenTx1962

Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 03:43 PM

As promised a couple weeks ago, thanks for all the questions everyone submitted, over the course of the day they answered everyone of them. One of the most interesting days I have ever spent on the water, hope you guys enjoy this series, there will be several from the day.

Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 04:24 PM

Very good info! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 05:24 PM

cheers
Posted By: SATopWater

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 08:11 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 09:41 PM

Keep em coming
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/29/18 11:59 PM

Yep this is gonna be good!
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 12:29 AM

Listening to those guys talk on the video is no different than talking to them on the phone or at the lake. They are keeping it real and 100%!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 02:16 AM

Thanks Ken! cheers
Posted By: C130

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 02:36 AM

My son and I met Albert at Kistler about 6 months ago. I was looking at frog rods and he highly recommended one and I brought it. I had no idea who he was at the time until I went home and searched his name. I thought I had heard of him but didn’t know anything about him. Super nice guy.

Thanks for the video, along with all of the others you post, can’t wait to watch the rest of them.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 02:52 AM

I want to meet one of these ultra high integrity fisherman that stays off of another anglers “sweet” spot, or spot on the spot, particularly after this high integrity fisherman watches an angler on said “sweet” spot pin a 10 or 12 pounder. Do y’all wear blind folds when you fish? you can’t tell me seeing someone hammer fish from a distance doesn’t impact your decision making.

This ultra high integrity guy just goes off, blind fold on, and finds his “own” fish? Maybe he sinks his “own” brush piles and crosses his fingers fish will come and anglers won’t find it for awhile, but he sure isn’t find a “new” spot. Even on big lakes like tbend or Rayburn there aren’t any “new” spots. Everyone is playing the game. Some folks might be doing something unique, but I’m pretty certain a trap or worm has covered nearly every inch of those lakes at some point.

Great video, those guys are solid sticks. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 12:41 PM

Obviously everything has been fished but their point is, the fish are always moving. There's a difference between the guys who are always out there looking for new stuff and the guys hitting waypoints on you during practice or during an event. There are definitely spots that crossover between guys and it's timing at that point. Also, lots of guys won't fish their good stuff if someone is already around in a tournament
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 03:29 PM

Looking forward to the next
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 03:58 PM

Keep them coming
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:32 PM

Great Post, I'm following!
I love their mindset. It is exactly what I was taught by the guys who got me into tournament fishing.
Respect on the water is a huge thing for me and these two men are the perfect example of how things need to be. Look forward to the next video.

I especially liked what they said about people finding spots.

You know who the guys are that are out looking for fish and eventually they will all find the same water you found.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:44 PM

I understand what the intent of what they’re saying is. My point is very few or no people are actually doing this. Look at some of these elite series events on huge bodies of water, but everyone is stacked up on community holes and it’s fishing small. Why isn’t everyone finding their own spots? No way to control that. My biggest fish have come off of areas that I’ve never seen anyone else focusing on, but don’t consistently produce for me either.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Obviously everything has been fished but their point is, the fish are always moving. There's a difference between the guys who are always out there looking for new stuff and the guys hitting waypoints on you during practice or during an event. There are definitely spots that crossover between guys and it's timing at that point. Also, lots of guys won't fish their good stuff if someone is already around in a tournament

That’s not how I understood it, sounded like they were looking for transition areas or areas with deep water access, who isn’t? Especially this time of year. There are a finite amount of these spots on any lake, again I want to know who Wouldn’t take notice of a boat wrecking 7+ pound fish off a spot, when you are 200 yards away zeroing. Y’all really aren’t going to check those spots out when nobody is on it 3 years down the road? Maybe the fish left the spot, and came back w/o the original fisherman knowing. What if someone just stumbles onto a brush pile without side imaging or gps, and marks the spot the old school way of triangulating with reference points. Sounds selfish to call a spot or pile yours. Get a pattern together and run it.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:55 PM

Actually lots of people are doing it, that's why you see the same guys successful on Rayburn and Toledo. They manage their water and don't get spun out by all the new pressure. 10% of the guys are catching 90% of the fish. Definitely alot more people on the water nowadays but that doesn't mean they are all catching fish.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:56 PM

I can't tell you the last time I saw a boat catch more than 1 5lber in front of me. Like I said, if someone is around the smart guys won't go near a spot until it's clear.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 05:57 PM

There are also a lot of terrible fisherman out there banging banks 24/7/365
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/30/18 09:01 PM

Time on the water is key. And living close to two of the large premier bass factories in the country sure helps when you do get on the water.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 01:21 AM

Stay tuned, we cover all this, they pay attention to where people are fishing and if somebody is wrecking them of course it influences your thought process, So they might check something similar, but not that SPOT. Trust me I cover all this with them, trying to get video 2 up tonight
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Stay tuned, we cover all this, they pay attention to where people are fishing and if somebody is wrecking them of course it influences your thought process, So they might check something similar, but not that SPOT. Trust me I cover all this with them, trying to get video 2 up tonight

thumb
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 02:06 AM

Finding a productive fishing spot has got to be every bit as hard as figuring out why a woman cries on her birthday. Glen said it takes 6 months and on lakes as big as TB and Rayburn I could see that especially with all the eyeballs on you. There's guys on Fork that know every guide boat on the lake.
Would love to spend a day on the lake with either Glen or Albert. thumb
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty
I want to meet one of these ultra high integrity fisherman that stays off of another anglers “sweet” spot, or spot on the spot, particularly after this high integrity fisherman watches an angler on said “sweet” spot pin a 10 or 12 pounder. Do y’all wear blind folds when you fish? you can’t tell me seeing someone hammer fish from a distance doesn’t impact your decision making.

This ultra high integrity guy just goes off, blind fold on, and finds his “own” fish? Maybe he sinks his “own” brush piles and crosses his fingers fish will come and anglers won’t find it for awhile, but he sure isn’t find a “new” spot. Even on big lakes like tbend or Rayburn there aren’t any “new” spots. Everyone is playing the game. Some folks might be doing something unique, but I’m pretty certain a trap or worm has covered nearly every inch of those lakes at some point.

I think the point you're making Nick is that no one finds their "own spot," right? That we're all fishing used water? I agree with you on that. I'm not arrogant enough to think that anything I'm fishing is unbeknownst to every other angler. But, two guys can fish the same spot and both have found it the "right way," and I think that's the point they might end up making (I'll stay tuned to see). If you're mapping out stuff, trying it, replicating what works and avoiding what doesn't, I would consider that the right way, even if we end up trying to fish the same hump on Lake X. But, circling somebody on a hump (has happened to me multiple times in the last couple of months), dropping waypoints or fishing the marker buoy pattern, that's what we should be discouraging in fishing. Can't stop it, but should encourage others not to play that game.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000

I think the point you're making Nick is that no one finds their "own spot," right? That we're all fishing used water? I agree with you on that. I'm not arrogant enough to think that anything I'm fishing is unbeknownst to every other angler. But, two guys can fish the same spot and both have found it the "right way," and I think that's the point they might end up making (I'll stay tuned to see). If you're mapping out stuff, trying it, replicating what works and avoiding what doesn't, I would consider that the right way, even if we end up trying to fish the same hump on Lake X. But, circling somebody on a hump (has happened to me multiple times in the last couple of months), dropping waypoints or fishing the marker buoy pattern, that's what we should be discouraging in fishing. Can't stop it, but should encourage others not to play that game.

That's pretty much exactly what they are saying. And when your out there all the time you can see who's being a GPS pirate and who's using their stuff to find fish. You get to know a lot of the boats even if you dont know who the people are.
Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 06:08 PM

Here is one for thought: you map a place the night before and sure enough you get on the water and someone is on the spot. What would they think even if you waited until they were gone to graph it and cross it off your list of places to check.

I have always thought that the majority of good anglers will see the same areas on the map to fish. I think the difference amongst anglers is finding that small rock pile or lone tree that is holding the fish.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 06:32 PM

Thanks for posting.
That was very fascinating!
I don’t ever tournament fish but that was still a great watch.
Very cool. Those seem like guys worth listening to and taking notes!
Posted By: Gman72

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 07:59 PM

Priceless info!

I always Wonder what the “stick’s” are thinking......
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 07/31/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I can't tell you the last time I saw a boat catch more than 1 5lber in front of me. Like I said, if someone is around the smart guys won't go near a spot until it's clear.

or even on the weekends period, only during the week.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/01/18 02:00 PM

Great info and video Ken, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/02/18 12:11 AM

There are also a lot of terrible fisherman out there banging banks 24/7/365

This

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/02/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: OldChamp
Time on the water is key. And living close to two of the large premier bass factories in the country sure helps when you do get on the water.

THIS TOO!!!!!!

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/02/18 12:19 AM

An equation for success in bass fishing

Success= (time on water ÷ (scouting/charting-running time) + (fishing time × # trips on lake) + hrs prep (map study+other prep)

I cant quantify it, but it makes sense to me.....

Success on any lake comes from study and scouting, not hours of blind casting at seemingly "good looking" spots
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/02/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: gut hooked
An equation for success in bass fishing

Success= (time on water ÷ (scouting/charting-running time) + (fishing time × # trips on lake) + hrs prep (map study+other prep)

I cant quantify it, but it makes sense to me.....

Success on any lake comes from study and scouting, not hours of blind casting at seemingly "good looking" spots

You forgot to add having a few beers after a long day of fishing. Not sure why or how but that helps too.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/02/18 08:21 PM

Yeah i did.....
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/03/18 01:17 PM

I never understood the value of spot poaching to the poachers. A lake is comprised of millions of spots and each is often only productive given a certain set of variable conditions. Occasionally, they happen to be in the right place at the right time with the right bait and presentation, but I believe this is rare - because of their uncertainty, they will simply chase the next waypoint...
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman - 08/05/18 09:33 PM

Thanks for doing this Ken! I've been watching your YouTube channel for a while now. Good stuff!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum