Texas Fishing Forum

BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger

Posted By: Ibock

BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 10:36 PM

Are they all created equal... I say no. Gary all the way. Thoughts?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 10:45 PM

Yep
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:07 PM

I've had just as good success with a 5" Ocho. Not sure if the fish have learned brands yet. Colors and presentation are probably more important.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:12 PM

With a weight they are all the same, it’s when you go weightless that Yamamoto shines!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:14 PM

No.....they ain't the same. They have different prices for a reason.

.......and I hope this doesn't turn into a "Is a Senko worth the money" post and "can you pour a better stick bait for less" post.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:19 PM

I've caught way more fish on a senko than a yum dinger. But I'm not sure they is much difference between the 2
Posted By: Clark3

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:25 PM

well, Pretty much 95% of the time I fish I’m using a weightless senko. From 8”-20’ deep. I love Yamamoto. In terms of fall rate, catch rate, density, ect the BPS sticko and Yamamoto senko are identical. I’ve tested everything up to the absolute value of the density of the plastics and i would swear he makes them for BPS.

All the other brands suck If fishing true weightless

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

.......and I hope this doesn't turn into a "Is a Senko worth the money" post and "can you pour a better stick bait for less" post.

They have different prices for a reason

So Steez, using that analogy the higher the price the better the product ?
Posted By: 361V

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:44 PM

“Different prices for a reason”....and the reason is because they can! laugh If they work better for guys they will continue paying extra, I get that but there is nothing but conjecture here as to which formula is the more expensive bait to build/pour.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/26/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
“Different prices for a reason”....and the reason is because they can! laugh

I remember posts like this from around 15 years ago on the Bass Fishing Home Page. I remember someone pointing out that Gary Yamamoto let his son Derek use the same baits in his Kinami lures. They packaged less per package so they seemed less expensive but the price per bait was exactly the same.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Sometimes.

Yum products are lightweight, low salt, rubbery junk.
Senkos....well, they are what they are....expensive and very good and very consistent.
Stick-O from BPS is a slightly less expensive, good alternative when Senkos are sold out. Of course when comparing prices at BPS, Stuck-Os are are GREAT value compared to Senkos. Since BPS sells senkos significantly above suggested retail.

And, like previously stated, the differences are only noticed on weightless setups. Add a weight, and the cheaper the better. But, even then, I only have senkos in the boat.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:27 AM

Sometimes.

Senkos....well, they are what they are....expensive and very good and very consistent.
Stick-O from BPS is a slightly less expensive, good alternative when Senkos are sold out. Of course when comparing prices at BPS, Stuck-Os are are GREAT value compared to Senkos. Since BPS sells senkos significantly above suggested retail.

And, like previously stated, the differences are only noticed on weightless setups. Add a weight, and the cheaper the better. But, even then, I only have senkos in the boat.

You sound like you eat pop corn one piece at a time
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:38 AM

If you want to see the difference in how they're made... take one of each, and with both hands, bend, pinch, twist, and tear at them, until it comes apart, you'll realize then.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3

Sometimes.

You sound like you eat pop corn one piece at a time

I actually do. I take bites of one piece at a time.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 03:00 AM

A very underrated stickbait is the Reaction Innovations Pocket Rocket

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 03:44 AM

So Steez, using that analogy the higher the price the better the product ?[/quote]

Sometimes.

And, like previously stated, the differences are only noticed on weightless setups. Add a weight, and the cheaper the better. But, even then, I only have senkos in the boat. [/quote]

You sound like you eat pop corn one piece at a time [/quote]

I actually do. I take bites of one piece at a time. [/quote]

roflmao
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 04:21 AM

I fish my stickbaits almost exclusively weightless.

I’ve had the best luck with strike king shimee sticks, sinkos and yumdingers in that order.

Found the Ochos on clearance once at cabelas and bought nearly every bag left. Haven’t caught a fish on one yet. Was catching fish last week on the shimee stick, figured I’d better save the few I had left for tournament day so switched to same color ochos and didn’t get another bite.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 04:41 AM

Bps are not as flexible as Yamamoto out of the package. If you kneed the bps they become very soft and flexible and have much more action.

You really need to do it firmly to activate the salt and get the action. If your doing it right you’ll tear a few.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss

I’ve had the best luck with strike king shimee sticks, sinkos and yumdingers in that order.

Found the Ochos on clearance once at cabelas and bought nearly every bag left. Haven’t caught a fish on one yet. Was catching fish last week on the shimee stick, figured I’d better save the few I had left for tournament day so switched to same color ochos and didn’t get another bite.

You must not have had the same color I did or fished it the same way I do. Evidently people are catching fish on all these different brands cause they keep making them and selling them. KVD uses Ocho's and seems to be doing well with them. thumb
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
A very underrated stickbait is the Reaction Innovations Pocket Rocket

I love these also and can find them marked down from time to time at Academy, that tail is real good and when they break that tail end works good on the Ned rig.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 01:40 PM

I like & use them all. One of the most underrated stickbaits is the Wave Worm Tiki Stick

thumb
Posted By: 96speed

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 01:54 PM

I like the Big Bite stuff. Works well, cheap, and you can buy it in 100pks.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I like & use them all. One of the most underrated stickbaits is the Wave Worm Tiki Stick

thumb

Yep.... love those ^^^
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:16 PM

Wasn't the difference in senkos the fact they had sand in them also? Seems like that was what I heard back when they were new
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 02:53 PM

Johnny Morris Chinese made [censored] will never catch more Bass than a Gary Yamamoto Senko thumb
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 03:22 PM

thumb
yep thumb
Posted By: Hookem

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 03:31 PM

Senko cause the other two literally stink.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 04:11 PM

thumb
Agree on the Tiki Stick.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 05:07 PM

Mister Twister Comida is a great bang for the buck as a rival for the Senko. Texture, density, and weightless action is better than both the Yum and BPS offerings...
Posted By: guntz67

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 05:36 PM

I will Take all those Junky Yum Dingers that you guys don't want lol
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 07:12 PM

You must not have had the same color I did or fished it the same way I do. Evidently people are catching fish on all these different brands cause they keep making them and selling them. KVD uses Ocho's and seems to be doing well with them. thumb

Maybe its a technique thing. Not saying they won't catch fish, just saying I can't catch a darn thing on them. Mixed them in throughout the day several times when I was killing them on the shimee sticks.

Was catching them on black/blue shimee sticks, switched to black/blue Ocho's nothing. Go back to shimee sticks, catch fish. Doesn't make sense to me either. I find it hard to believe the actions are that much more different.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 08:15 PM

I love me some senkos… they are my favorite. But I fish the stick-o twice as much because I can afford them and also have confidence in them.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 08:20 PM

Maybe its a technique thing. Not saying they won't catch fish, just saying I can't catch a darn thing on them. Mixed them in throughout the day several times when I was killing them on the shimee sticks.

Was catching them on black/blue shimee sticks, switched to black/blue Ocho's nothing. Go back to shimee sticks, catch fish. Doesn't make sense to me either. I find it hard to believe the actions are that much more different.

I'm probably wrong but I can't believe a bass looks, studies, sniffs, licks the bait to see if it meets all his criteria before he decides to put it in his mouth. The ones I catch shallow the bite is almost instant so I don't think they spent much time analyzing it. My best colors are pumpkin/green and watermelon/red and I dip the tail in chartreuse Spike it. I wacky rig it on 12lb. flouro and I put a 1" roofing nail in each end of the Ocho. If I fish it in water deeper than 10' I place a clam weight about 18" above the hook. Have caught bass in as shallow as 2' and as deep as 15'. Could be I'm just flat lucky and wouldn't be mad if someone called me that. I've had similar results with the Yum brand but I prefer the shape, thickness and colors of the OCHO. I am far from being an expert on stick baits or any bait as far as that goes but guess I'll continue to use what works. Now Whopper Ploppers ? I have no idea how people catch fish on those things.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 10:57 PM

Now Whopper Ploppers ? I have no idea how people catch fish on those things.

roflmao

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/27/18 11:52 PM

I'm probably wrong but I can't believe a bass looks, studies, sniffs, licks the bait to see if it meets all his criteria before he decides to put it in his mouth. The ones I catch shallow the bite is almost instant so I don't think they spent much time analyzing it. My best colors are pumpkin/green and watermelon/red and I dip the tail in chartreuse Spike it. I wacky rig it on 12lb. flouro and I put a 1" roofing nail in each end of the Ocho. If I fish it in water deeper than 10' I place a clam weight about 18" above the hook. Have caught bass in as shallow as 2' and as deep as 15'. Could be I'm just flat lucky and wouldn't be mad if someone called me that. I've had similar results with the Yum brand but I prefer the shape, thickness and colors of the OCHO. I am far from being an expert on stick baits or any bait as far as that goes but guess I'll continue to use what works. Now Whopper Ploppers ? I have no idea how people catch fish on those things.

You should meet me at Athens tomorrow and teach me that technique.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 01:12 AM

Here ya go Steez, here's how I do it. This color is pumpkin/green candy. Haven't tried it yet just like the name. Ken A. turned me on to that hook and only place I know to get'em is at Oak Ridge at Fork.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 01:25 AM

Yeh. I've got some weedless whacky rig hooks.

I was more suggesting you come show me your spots on Athens. Lol

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 01:48 AM

Yeh. I've got some weedless whacky rig hooks.

I was more suggesting you come show me your spots on Athens. Lol

I don't fish on the weekends Steez and Athens is not my home lake but when I do fish it I like the brush piles out in front of some of the boat docks in 12-15 ft. of water and they're main lake boat docks. There's also a pretty good pile near a buoy in one of the coves in 20-22 FOW. You're pretty smart, you'll find'em.

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 02:18 AM

Me and Lowrance are gonna look hard tomorrow. roflmao But, I'll likely be sidetracked by some topwater stuff for a while.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: guntz67
I will Take all those Junky Yum Dingers that you guys don't want lol

I was thinking the same thing.... I catch a [censored] ton of fish on a wacky rigged yum dinger
Posted By: senko9S

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 12:26 PM

nothing beats the action of a gy senko or dy flash. salt isn't the key ingredient like the others try to use.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 03:46 PM

I have no issue paying the price for Senkos, they're made in the US which means GY pays a 10% fed excise tax earmarked for wildlife enhancement and employs Americans. I can't say the same for BPS for sure, the price difference leads me to believe the BPS product is produced off shore and the tariff charges may not equal the 10% American mfgs have to pay.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 06:24 PM

I wacky rig it on 12lb. flouro and I put a 1" roofing nail in each end of the Ocho. If I fish it in water deeper than 10' I place a clam weight about 18" above the hook. Have caught bass in as shallow as 2' and as deep as 15'.

How does it fall with nail weight both ends?

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
[quote=sprigsss]I fish my stickbaits almost exclusively weightless.

I wacky rig it on 12lb. flouro and I put a 1" roofing nail in each end of the Ocho. If I fish it in water deeper than 10' I place a clam weight about 18" above the hook. Have caught bass in as shallow as 2' and as deep as 15'.

How does it fall with nail weight both ends?

Very erratic.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 08:12 PM

I miss the Grandebass Honchos-Still have a few bags stashed. I’ll usually use Yum dingers on a shaky head on Conroe and kill em.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/28/18 11:22 PM

I never weight the plastic either.... I weight the Gama hook

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
I never weight the plastic either.... I weight the Gama hook

Hmmmm that’s interesting
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 11:51 AM

Wave Worm was better than all 3 combined
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 03:51 PM

Senko tastes the best... then wave( too bad no longer made). Love them tasty worms....... fish do too!!!!! Lol

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 03:52 PM

Wave was very good

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 04:25 PM

Here ya go Steez, here's how I do it. This color is pumpkin/green candy. Haven't tried it yet just like the name. Ken A. turned me on to that hook and only place I know to get'em is at Oak Ridge at Fork.

And Eddie Garrett showed them to me. I bought a bunch more on their website. Hall Hooks. They are made with Owners so you know they're strong.
Posted By: dr14

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 06:10 PM

What size hook is that in the pic ?
Posted By: Cameron

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 06:26 PM

The netbait salt lick falls faster than the GY

Re: BPS Stick Baits VS Senko VS Yum Dinger - 07/29/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dr14
What size hook is that in the pic ?

3/0
Posted By: dr14