Texas Fishing Forum

Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3

Posted By: 5Redman8

Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/22/18 11:32 PM

I currently have Gen 1 HDS 8s. The housing of each has cracked/broken this year.

It is time for new.

I do not care about linking units together....never have.

On the bow all I ever use is regular sonar and small map.

While driving, I like map, SI, and sonar.

Narrowed it down to these 2....
HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N
HDS 12 Gen 3 Totalscan

Whichever I get, I will pair it with a 9" at the bow

What are the biggest advantages of each?
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 02:07 AM

I'm not an expert, so someone can certainly give you better insight than I can. Seeing as how no expert has responded yet, I'll give you my thoughts in the meantime as I have run both Gen 1 Helixes (but have been in boats with the Mega Gen 2) and Gen 3 Lowrances.

The MEGA imaging on the Helixes are the clearest and most detailed down imaging and side imaging that I have seen. It is noticeably better than the Gen1 and the Lowrance at this time. That's a big advantage. The other advantage is that you could link to an Ultrex if desired (not high on my list).

The touch screen on the Lowrance units is the biggest upside over the Helixes that I see. Much easier to go through your menus. Much easier to specify what kind of marker you want to use for a waypoint, labeling them, etc. Also, on the Lowrances, if I put a "tree" waypoint out, it always shows up as a tree on the screen. On the Helix, if I put a tree, it just shows up as a run-of-the-mill waypoint unless I actually move the cursor to highlight that specific waypoint. Maybe this is different on the Gen2's and maybe there's a way to avoid this on the Gen1's and I just haven't figured it out, but it's annoying.

The best of both worlds may be the Solix as you get MEGA imaging and touchscreen, but dang those are expensive.

I'm sure there are some other differences that I just haven't dug down deep enough to see. Maybe someone else can point those out. I doubt you'd be disappointed in either--small differences from what I've seen.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 02:09 AM

Forgot to add that on Humminbirds, you can run a Lakemaster and/or a Navionics chip.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 02:18 AM

Your advice may be better for me than many experts!

I love the real-world unassociated opinion.

Thanks!!!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
I'm not an expert, so someone can certainly give you better insight than I can. Seeing as how no expert has responded yet, I'll give you my thoughts in the meantime as I have run both Gen 1 Helixes (but have been in boats with the Mega Gen 2) and Gen 3 Lowrances.

The MEGA imaging on the Helixes are the clearest and most detailed down imaging and side imaging that I have seen. It is noticeably better than the Gen1 and the Lowrance at this time. That's a big advantage. The other advantage is that you could link to an Ultrex if desired (not high on my list).

The touch screen on the Lowrance units is the biggest upside over the Helixes that I see. Much easier to go through your menus. Much easier to specify what kind of marker you want to use for a waypoint, labeling them, etc. Also, on the Lowrances, if I put a "tree" waypoint out, it always shows up as a tree on the screen. On the Helix, if I put a tree, it just shows up as a run-of-the-mill waypoint unless I actually move the cursor to highlight that specific waypoint. Maybe this is different on the Gen2's and maybe there's a way to avoid this on the Gen1's and I just haven't figured it out, but it's annoying.

The best of both worlds may be the Solix as you get MEGA imaging and touchscreen, but dang those are expensive.

I'm sure there are some other differences that I just haven't dug down deep enough to see. Maybe someone else can point those out. I doubt you'd be disappointed in either--small differences from what I've seen.

What jb said. Only thing I'll add is I had a touch screen and spent too much time cleaning finger prints off it. Have the Mega now and no complaints.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 11:45 AM

I have the 9" mega SI... I would kill to be able to afford to have a 12" mega... these things are bad. I am purchasing another 9" at the beginning of the year so I can get rid of my 5"
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 11:56 AM

Helix Mega si at console and a 9 sonar/GPS at the front. Lakemaster better mapping
Posted By: Taylored

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 02:49 PM

If you go with a Helix Mega, it's worth noting that the 10" and 12" screens have a higher resolution which makes the images clearer than the 9" and under models.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 06:15 PM

Another vote for the Helix.

The Humminbird user interface and menus will take some getting used to if you have only used Lowrance.

The side and down imaging is sharper on the Helix MEGA units than anything Lowrance has available right now. The biggest advantage in the Lowrance touch screen for me is marking and labeling waypoints. I drop a bunch of waypoints and need them labeled to keep track of what's what and it takes for friggin ever (by today's standards) on the Helix. Customizing your screens is also very quick and easy on the Lowrance touch screens. Still, the superior imaging and ability to use Lakemaster cards keeps the Helix ahead for me.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 06:45 PM

If you're not interested in linking the units together, you don't need the G2N, just the G2. The 'N' means that it's networkable

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 06:47 PM

Like someone mentioned earlier, the touch-screen of the Lowrance sure would be nice. I wish that Humminbird would offer a touch-screen interface south of the $2,000 price point.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbassdude
If you're not interested in linking the units together, you don't need the G2N, just the G2. The 'N' means that it's networkable

There is no non-networkable Helix 12 in any generation. There is also no G2 model.
It's either first generation or G2N.

The Helix 7 is the only series that has a first generation, G2, and G2N models.

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/23/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: texasbassdude

There is no non-networkable Helix 12 in any generation. There is also no G2 model.
It's either first generation or G2N.

The Helix 7 is the only series that has a first generation, G2, and G2N models.

Well since the Helix I have is the Helix 7, that explains my non-understanding wink
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/24/18 01:18 PM

In the past I have always used Lowrance units and currently have the Gen. 2 touch 12's on my boat but after seeing screen shots of what the Humminbirds can do, I would go with it. That mega imaging is awesome.
Posted By: Jason Gilstrap

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/25/18 11:45 PM

If you go with HDS Carbons you will have a 2 year warranty from the day you purchased it. Also you will be able share Navionics mapping and automatic sync of wpts between the HDS units by the ethernet cord. HDS Carbons also have built in structure scan, so no need for a structure scan box, unless you want 3D and that requires a 3D box. For more information check out the link.

http://fishfindersadvisor.com/hds-9-carbon/
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/26/18 12:18 AM

Lowrance hands down. WAY more user friendly & much better 2d.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Graph Choices.....Helix 12 G2N or HDS 12 Gen 3 - 07/26/18 12:49 AM

Humminbird 2d has gotten better. Stripers on a Solix

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum